What's new

Quality gloves for fall and winter.

Its finally starting to cool down where im at and usually i go fall and winters without gloves but yesterday morning i decided i should invest in a pair of quality gloves. I just don't know where to look for quality gloves.

The only types of gloves i have owned were those cheap knit gloves you can find at a gas station and what not but they never kept my hands very warm and also my hands tend to get pretty sweaty when wearing them so the fabric would cover my hands when i took them off and that was annoying.

So what would be the best material that would keep my hands warm but will allow my hands to "breath" so they dont get sweaty to look for in fall and winter gloves? I would prefer a thinner kind of glove instead of a bulky glove. Also do gloves have to go with your outfit because from what i have read people tend match them with their coat or shoes but idk if that is a "rule" or not.

Price wise i really do not want to spend more then $100 on gloves. Is it possible to find a quality pair of gloves for under $100? i could go a little over than 100.

Last edited:
If I am trying to keep my fingers from freezing and breaking off while skiing or snowblowing, I wear whatever does the job best.

If I am going to work or scooting around town, I try to find gloves which are plain black, and preferably (but not necessarily) with a leather exterior. (My two main winter coats are both long black wool and sort of dressy looking, so athletic-looking gloves really seem out of place.)

I am not a glove expert so take my comments with a grain of salt.

Quality dress gloves are very finely crafted with thin and close grain hides and hand stitched. Often they are lined with cashmere or animal fur. They mold to your hand and are very luxurious. They are very beautiful and a pleasure to slip on. I liken them to a pair of high end Bally slip-ons.

I purchased an English made quality dress glove in the 80's when a local men's discount store went out of business. They were equivalent to a $125-$160 glove today and were selling for a 60% discount. The deal was to good to pass up. They were really nice gloves with all the attributes I listed above. I am not hard on my clothing. I never wore them in the rain or snow but wore them to work daily. I very lightly cleaned them with saddle soap and worked a little lanolin into the pores at the end of the season before storing them for the season. I only got two seasons from the gloves. The cashmere lining wore out and I blew the stitching out on the seam at the thumb. The gloves were never really warm on a cold day.

I replaced them with a pair of Gates gloves that fit me well, good leather, decent stitching. They were about as warm as the quality dress glove, not as form fitting, not as beautiful but lasted me 6-7 years. I have a brown and black pair and I were them daily when it is not below freezing. I have a couple pairs in reserve. I have been able to pick up the same glove in new condition on Ebay for $10-$15. They work for me.

I have also found that dress gloves don't work for me in very cold weather. I did some research and found that mittens are a better alternative. Your fingers stay warmer when they are in direct contact with each other. They aren't in gloves. I ended up with an unlined bison mitten with a heavy wool mitten as a liner. I can now spend hours outside in single digit temps without chilled finger.

If you are looking for thin gloves I have had good luck with goat skin if you can find them. They might not be as pleasing to the eye as deerskin but they are thinner hides-more flexible, more durable than cowhide and don't shrivel up when wet. Wool and thinsulate are good liners, your preference. I like to get my gloves or mittens unlined and use wool liners. If the liners absorb moisture from sweat I can change out the liners and I won't freeze. I use thin liners in my gloves and heavy liners in my cold duty mitts.

I use my motorcycle summer gloves as regular winter gloves, but we don't get really cold winters here (close to the coast).

They are a plain black leather, without anything that gives away immediately that they are motorcycle gloves. So they work very well for me.

Fox Creek Leather makes motorcycle gloves from various hides and all are made in the US. I have the lined deerskin gloves and are very happy with them.

Not sure of your climate but I wear glove liners UA cold gear down to about 32 degrees. I also have a nice pair of black leather cashmere lined for dress those are warm enough for all winter wear.

Top Bottom