What's new

Favorite Cartridge Memories

I hated them, I hated shaving, I used to shave myself once a month because one cart lasted only for 3 shaves before it got dull. I have so many irritations, ingrown hairs, rash. And about the goo, I don't even want to talk about it. The best memory I had is when I gave them away and started DE shaving. Nothing beats oldskool shaving!

I hated them, I hated shaving, I used to shave myself once a month because one cart lasted only for 3 shaves before it got dull. I have so many irritations, ingrown hairs, rash. And about the goo, I don't even want to talk about it. The best memory I had is when I gave them away and started DE shaving. Nothing beats oldskool shaving!

You've about summed it up for me. I hate thinking about it now, it was horrible.......painful.

I always liked the smell of my old shaving cream, and there was always something about shaving when I had more than one day's growth that felt great. I also liked being able to take long strokes all the way down my face. I actually went back to a Sensor Excel while on a trip recently though and realized a few things I don't miss. My face was really dry after I was done, and the razor pulled quite a bit. The blades weren't sharp, but it's so tough to justify buying expensive cartridges all the time. Definitely reaffirmed that soap and a DE razor are the way to go for me.

Why did you all buy those expensive cartridges? Nobody forced you to "upgrade", I think?

Even my dad, who is nearing 80 now, still uses an old Trac II razor from the 70's daily. With carts without a slime strip or other gimmicks.

He buys the cartridges at the local drugstore. 30 cents per cartridge. He does not want to go back to DE blades, and I don't blame him. The Trac II is a good razor.

Last edited:
Swishing the razor in a sink full of water, to clean the hair out from between the blades. Then, having the head pop off, and go to the bottom of the sink full of dirty shave water.

I don't miss the slimy rubbery quattro handle. White rubber that turned yellow and semi-liquid. I do keep it around to trim the hair off the tips of my ears. DE angers my ears.

I had good shaves back in my cart days. I used to buy the Schick triple blade disposables or Gillette Good News and either a can of Barbasol or a puck of VDH and that junky VDH brush which shed like a mangy dog. I remember being in my first apartment that I rented on my own and shaving in the bathroom. Using the VDH made me feel like I was getting back to a lost tradition. That was years before B&B even existed.

I can get great shaves from a cart. I never got razor burn, and I never got ingrowns.

Why did you all buy those expensive cartridges? Nobody forced you to "upgrade", I think?

Even my dad, who is nearing 80 now, still uses an old Trac II razor from the 70's daily. With carts without a slime strip or other gimmicks.

He buys the cartridges at the local drugstore. 30 cents per cartridge. He does not want to go back to DE blades, and I don't blame him. The Trac II is a good razor.

Have to agree. And with my next 2 weeks being planned as RUSH RUSH RUSH, I'll most likely daily use mine. And at $5.49 for a 15 pack of blades, well no one can argue there!

Back in the injector days, we would collect them, and find the trees we thought victor charlie would climb, and beat them blade up into the trees with a rifle butt or knife handle

Back in the injector days, we would collect them, and find the trees we thought victor charlie would climb, and beat them blade up into the trees with a rifle butt or knife handle

Charlie don't shave!

$26.-Apocalypse-Now-I-Love-The-Smell-Of-Napalm.png

Last edited:

I'm so glad someone said this. I enjoy DE shaving now but I get a bit tired of the constant refrain that the big companies somehow made us buy $5 Fusion cartridges. I rather like the different Gillette cartridges and though they're not perfect they do some things very well. I still think the Mach 3 cartridges are at the sweet spot of ease of use and convenience for most people. But different people want different things.

The idea that it's wrong for people to abandon DE shaving because they don't want to have to learn better technique or have quick shaves with no thought seems horribly snobby. And the idea that marketing can just "make" people buy things never quite goes away. Yet Gillette has had periods in its history when its market share plummeted and no amount of marketing really saved them.

I am glad I live in a world where I still can enjoy DE shaving but where there are a wide variety of cartridge and safety razor options still available.

Many people overreact, probably unconsciously (?), because they feel that they have believed the "the latest cartridge razor is the best" talk for way too long.

Last edited:
Dang it! I wrote this post and it didn't connect! Time to see if I can reproduce it..

I agree with Coase on his point. If someone doesn't care about a little burn and/or wants to shave in their car and shave fast, they should go the cart/electric route!

I don't use DE for monetary reasons; on the contrary, I wet-shave because I enjoy spending the time to perfect my skill. It really is a fun hobby.

This morning my wife stood next to me while I shaved and was astounded that I "wasted time" doing 3 passes. I explained that my morning shave is the one time during the day when I'm really able to slow life down and focus on the details.

My favorite cartridge memory....the day I stopped using them.

The day I realized that I could easily buy DE blades for a fraction of the price that carts are going for.
But in all seriousness, I think the first time I used a Mach III. It was a pretty smooth shave, and terrific outcome.

But in all seriousness, I think the first time I used a Mach III. It was a pretty smooth shave, and terrific outcome.

I never used a Mach III. What was wrong with the original Trac II that needed improving? Even the Sensor is a laugh, with the flimsy "blades".

I never used a Mach III. What was wrong with the original Trac II that needed improving? Even the Sensor is a laugh, with the flimsy "blades".
I think age was the factor for me. Dad used the Trac II. He bought me a Mach 3 and I went with it. I couldn't have been older than 15-16.

Top Bottom