What's new

Tired of hearing about nutrition.

I could stand to lose a couple pounds, but I don't have to lose 50 lbs. It seems all I hear and see are commercials and shows about weight loss and diet. If that doesn't bug me enough all I hear on news programs is how bad this food and that food is supposed to be for us to eat.

What finally put me over the edge the other day was a so called nutrition expert. She looked 30 lbs underweight and she had the lollipop effect as a friend of mine calls it. You all have seen them, a girl or guy that is so thin through diet and exercise that their head looks like a sucker on a stick. When asked how she got through hunger cravings she replied, " I keep a rubber band around my wrist and when I get hungry I snap it."

For God's sake have a cheeseburger and a beer. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I could stand to lose a couple pounds, but I don't have to lose 50 lbs. It seems all I hear and see are commercials and shows about weight loss and diet. If that doesn't bug me enough all I hear on news programs is how bad this food and that food is supposed to be for us to eat.

What finally put me over the edge the other day was a so called nutrition expert. She looked 30 lbs underweight and she had the lollipop effect as a friend of mine calls it. You all have seen them, a girl or guy that is so thin through diet and exercise that their head looks like a sucker on a stick. When asked how she got through hunger cravings she replied, " I keep a rubber band around my wrist and when I get hungry I snap it."

If you ask me...there's an underlying issue there other than simply wanting to be healthy.

But anyway....I'm fixin' to dip me a bowl of ice cream

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

This reminds me of the best advice I ever received. My best friend in high school moved over from Germany when he was 10. His father grew up in post WWII West Germany. I went with them out to their cabin a few times. The first time I went out we made ham sandwiches. So, I put a couple pieces of ham on it and think I am good to go. His father says "you make a sandwich like a German- put some meat on it". I have lived that truth since :biggrin:

You know, people will say what they want about diet, smoking, dipping, exercise.. When you're supposed to die, you'll die.

As terrible as that sounds, hear me out. My grandpa was a share cropper in Tennessee and smoked from when he was 8 yrs old - dead at 46.

The civilian in my department was raised by a woman that had him at 16 and smoked 5 packs of cigarettes till she was 85 years old. She loved fried chicken and lived life one cig at a time.

Eat, smoke, dip what you want. Everything is good in moderation - including moderation. You'll pass when the good lord needs you.

Someone in Industrial Design told me that this lollipop effect is a key proof of anorexia.

You might ask what Industrial Design has to with antropomorphic scales, as I did. Well, I was told they design stuff for humans to use, including helmets. For these kind of people helmets are difficult to wear unless they are made of very light materials.

So they better have a burger and a beer if in need to wear one.

I think everyone needs to have blood work done every year. Just to make sure your insides are working correctly. And just listen to your body, if your tired, sleep; if your hungry, eat.
Some behavior modification can help too. Like parking in the end of the parking lot and walking. You can loose and keep off 5 lbs in a year, plus it prevents the idiots from dinging up your car doors.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
"If you drink, you die, if you don't drink, you die, so drink" translation of my club's motto.

Its funny that America has such an infatuation with health and nutrition, yet we are one of the most unhealthy countries. We have to have "experts" tell us how to eat. In most other countries, you learn that at home.

Agree 100%!

You know, people will say what they want about diet, smoking, dipping, exercise.. When you're supposed to die, you'll die.

As terrible as that sounds, hear me out. My grandpa was a share cropper in Tennessee and smoked from when he was 8 yrs old - dead at 46.

The civilian in my department was raised by a woman that had him at 16 and smoked 5 packs of cigarettes till she was 85 years old. She loved fried chicken and lived life one cig at a time.

Eat, smoke, dip what you want. Everything is good in moderation - including moderation. You'll pass when the good lord needs you.

I used to think that way, then I hit 40 (or did it hit me?)

Whacked me over the head repeatedly with a 2x4 until I started listening to the creaks and groans of my legs when I stand up.
Took 9 years to get the message, but I'm finally getting it.

Its funny that America has such an infatuation with health and nutrition, yet we are one of the most unhealthy countries. We have to have "experts" tell us how to eat. In most other countries, you learn that at home.

It seems to be extremes. In the US you seem to have super-fit types, or grossly obese type. I am always stunned when I travel in the US how many are grossly overweight, not just carrying a round a few extra pounds.

The saddest part is seeing the kids who learn from their parents, teenage boys with man-boobs or dear god anything that resembles Honey-Boo-Boo

It seems to be extremes. In the US you seem to have super-fit types, or grossly obese type. I am always stunned when I travel in the US how many are grossly overweight, not just carrying a round a few extra pounds.

The saddest part is seeing the kids who learn from their parents, teenage boys with man-boobs or dear god anything that resembles Honey-Boo-Boo
It can't be that shocking, Canada is #6 on the list of most obese nations in the world. You probably don't notice it because of all the big heavy coats everyone wears up there. :tongue_sm
http://www.oecd.org/els/health-systems/Obesity-Update-2014.pdf

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
... She looked 30 lbs underweight and she had the lollipop effect as a friend of mine calls it. You all have seen them, a girl or guy that is so thin through diet and exercise that their head looks like a sucker on a stick. ...

Junk food is bad, m'kay?

proxy.php

I disagree ... hear me out.

There's stuff you can do that will make you healthier and live longer, and there's stuff that will make you more unhealthy and die sooner. I think that some people are more predisposed genetically to long and healthy life, while others are predisposed to an early grave. "The George Burns Effect", if you will: George Burn lived to 100, smoked cigars daily, and probably never jogged a mile in his life. Jim Fixx, "inventor" of modern jogging, died at age 52.

A Corolla will last longer than a Yugo ... but you extend the life of ANY car with regular maintenance and service. Ditto humans.

It can't be that shocking, Canada is #6 on the list of most obese nations in the world. You probably don't notice it because of all the big heavy coats everyone wears up there. :tongue_sm
http://www.oecd.org/els/health-systems/Obesity-Update-2014.pdf

Looking at fat Canadians and then seeing fat Americans is kind of like watching the CFL all your life and then watching the NFL ... you guys have it cranked up a few notches, that's for sure!

Looking at fat Canadians and then seeing fat Americans is kind of like watching the CFL all your life and then watching the NFL ... you guys have it cranked up a few notches, that's for sure!
Right, the guy in my avatar puts most of us Americans to shame in the fitness dept.:001_rolle

Top Bottom