What's new

PIF a Week # 18: Vintage Cufflinks and matching tie pins

This week's PIF is 5 sets of vintage Cufflinks two of which have matching tie pins. They're scarcely used as they belonged to a man who seldom wore a suit or tie and who, in the last two decades of his life, I'm fairly sure did not even own a shirt with French Cuffs.

Anyone who owns a shirt with French Cuffs and still wears a tie and has trouble keeping their tie in place is qualified to enter this PIF. To double, or even triple your chances, post a picture of your arm wearing a French Cuff shirt. Petros the Pelican will decide the winner a week from today and entry closes Saturday at midnight. This is open to all members anywhere in the world except for Luxembourg and Crete. Don't ask me why. I have my reasons.

$image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
As usual, Mark, you have some great items there. Almost makes me wish I wore ties and French Cuffs.

Did I remember to tell you I got the cutters and tamper? Really cool. I'm going to sharpen the scissors and either offer them in an Active Dity PIF of my own, or they'll go to the Veterans Day Golf Tournament.

Keep up the good work, we all appreciate it

As usual, Mark, you have some great items there. Almost makes me wish I wore ties and French Cuffs.

Did I remember to tell you I got the cutters and tamper? Really cool. I'm going to sharpen the scissors and either offer them in an Active Dity PIF of my own, or they'll go to the Veterans Day Golf Tournament.

Keep up the good work, we all appreciate it

how does one sharpen those?

proxy.php

proxy.php

These are some cufflinks that I made a few years ago out of real Mercury dimes.

those are great.

Thank you Mark this is a lovely and generous PIF in which you can count me in.

As a Frenchman, I do enjoy wearing shirts with cufflinks. Sadly I had some serious heath issues in 2014 and I have lost like 27 kg since last June. Unfortunately this means I have to redo my whole wardrobe and this is why my arm looks so thin in the shirt, in the pictures below.

My favorite brand is ST Dupont so I took 2 of them:

$IMG_2334.jpg

$IMG_2338.jpg

Here is a bonus:

I usually shave my arm hair to test my straight razor, you can still see an area where the air is shorter:

$IMG_2340.jpg

If you are talking to me, sure I can do that. Not right now, it is 11:50 PM and I should be off to bed :laugh:

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Very carefully, :001_rolle I have a small, very fine diamond rod and an even finer slip stone that should fit in the blade

Folace,
Nice shirt. I have one in blue of similar weight and weave. Sadly, mine is no longer loose on me.

Cool PIF, I'm in!

I don't wear button-down shirts too often. But when I do I always wear French cuffs. :thumbup1:
Pictured is my bespoke Egyptian cotton shirt (tailored in Singapore), and my silver, monogrammed Tiffany cufflinks, two great gifts from my wife.

(The watch is a Movado Fiero tungsten-carbide)

$cufflinks.jpg

Cool PIF, I'm in!

I don't wear button-down shirts too often. But when I do I always wear French cuffs. :thumbup1:
Pictured is my bespoke Egyptian cotton shirt (tailored in Singapore), and my silver, monogrammed Tiffany cufflinks, two great gifts from my wife.

(The watch is a Movado Fiero tungsten-carbide)

View attachment 511980

A wife who buys you Tiffany. Do you have to reciprocate in kind?

As a collector and maker of cufflinks I might not be the one who needs a new pair the most, but oh those tiger eye cufflinks where beautiful. IM IN!

Superb pif by the way.

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1414448909308.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1414448909308.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 111
Finally I took some pictures.

I am very sorry for the bad quality. We have changed for winter time and it is very dark early in the day plus my cheap camera is not helpful.

The shirt is supposed to be light pink and sorry it is a bit crumpled :blushing: I do not wear it anymore. As I said earlier, it is too loose for me now.

$IMG_2352.jpg

The Café Coton shirt is made of heavy Egyptian cotton; the feeling is very nice. I add collar stays when I wear the shirt.

$IMG_2354.jpg

$IMG_2356.jpg

$IMG_2358.jpg

The end of the sleeve has a 5-pleat finish.

$IMG_2359.jpg

The central pleat out of the 5 goes all along the sleeve from bottom to top.

$IMG_2361.jpg

(The rotation is wrong)

The back has 2 lateral pleats like that.

Damn posting those pictures does not make feel any younger. This was my very first shirt with French cuffs that my then fiancée offered me back in 2006 or 2007. I was sill in my twenties!

Last edited:
Where I can I buy French cuffs, though they are becoming increasingly rare in places I shop.
Occasionally I commit fashion faux pas $uploadfromtaptalk1414584674442.jpg

Top Bottom