What's new

Meatless in self defense

With the price of ground beef at $3.99/lb, named grinds like ground chuck even higher, we tried our first meatless dinner.

Stir fried tofu
-sugar peas
-mushrooms
-and water chestnut
-oyster sauce

with fried rice that included
-peas
-green onions
-and fried eggs
-soy sauce.

I think we're going down to just a couple of meals with meat a week until the prices are back in reason. Organic chicken is now the least expensive item at the market!

Pasta Primavera, Thai Curry with Veges and Tofu. Bean and cheese burritos. Works for me. Lots of mushrooms. I also make omelettes with salad for dinner.

Last edited:
cabbage and carrots stewed together last nite.$1.50 for the cabbage and .25 cents worth of carrots.and im still a carnivore at heart.veggies are good for you.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Have you thought about buying on the hoof and having it processed? Last spring we went in half on a beef with the ranch managers next to us. The total of on the hoof and processing worked out to about $3.25 a pound.

That's $3.25 a pound for hamburger meat, but also for ribeye, T-bone, roasts, ribs, etc. How much is ribeye in the store now, about $7 something a pound?

The year before that they raised a calf from one of their personal cows and let them graze on my pasture, so the only thing it cost us was the processing fee.

My uncle has a family ranch in Oklahoma, and we've been going in half on a beef with mom for ages.

Now would be the time to start looking into it, so you would have a handle on what the beef prices might be for next spring. And a good chest freezer is invaluable; I've never been without one. The one I have now mom and dad gave to me almost 20 years ago when they bought a new one for themselves.

Have you thought about buying on the hoof and having it processed? Last spring we went in half on a beef with the ranch managers next to us. The total of on the hoof and processing worked out to about $3.25 a pound.

That's $3.25 a pound for hamburger meat, but also for ribeye, T-bone, roasts, ribs, etc. How much is ribeye in the store now, about $7 something a pound?

The year before that they raised a calf from one of their personal cows and let them graze on my pasture, so the only thing it cost us was the processing fee.

My uncle has a family ranch in Oklahoma, and we've been going in half on a beef with mom for ages.

Now would be the time to start looking into it, so you would have a handle on what the beef prices might be for next spring. And a good chest freezer is invaluable; I've never been without one. The one I have now mom and dad gave to me almost 20 years ago when they bought a new one for themselves.

I've bought bulk frozen before, it's definitely an option but as another poster said, there is a health benefit to going meatless. When I was physically able to hunt we usually had 90+ pounds of Elk and Venison in the freezer, can't do that anymore.

Meatless can be really good/healthy and enjoyable eating. I would say 80% of my meals are meatless (lots of chickpeas, beans, lentils stewed with vegetables) and I like it. A nice steak every once in a while is way more enjoyable than eating meat every day, IMO.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Unfortunately, fish isn't exactly cheap either.

Actually here in Austin the salmon, talipa, catfish, and trout are not too bad. Shrimp on the other hand has skyrocketed. I stick with the trout and salmon.

The beans and lentil idea is good. Cheap and delicious.

Do you have a restaurant depot or wholesale club near you? - remember every step taken in processing a piece of meat adds to its cost.
I can get whole chickens at <1.29 a pound at several places, I can break them down into pieces or cutlets, and them make stock from the roasted bones and veggie scraps.
Buying "primals" (major pieces of a beef) can also save you a ton of cash. Knife time is free, all you need is a sharp knife and youtube and you can save big.

Do you have a restaurant depot or wholesale club near you? - remember every step taken in processing a piece of meat adds to its cost.
I can get whole chickens at <1.29 a pound at several places, I can break them down into pieces or cutlets, and them make stock from the roasted bones and veggie scraps.
Buying "primals" (major pieces of a beef) can also save you a ton of cash. Knife time is free, all you need is a sharp knife and youtube and you can save big.

This is the route I try to go whenever possible, restaurant Depot is excellent *if* you have storage/freezer space. I've recently started grinding my own beef using "beef clods" from RD for about $2.50/lb and mix in some chuck roasts as well. I don't think I can go back to store bought ground beef anymore, and if I can grind my own for <$3/lb that's leaner and that tastes much better why would I?

My wife is a master at getting the best deals. Before I met her, she had raised 3 kids on her on with a very low paying job.

She always has an eye for finding the deals. I grew up in a rural community, so I will keep an eye out for large cuts such as a pork leg and cut it up and home and put it in freezer paper.

I find freezer paper keeps food better than the freezer bags. Less freezer damage.

There are ways to make meat go further as well. A single budget cut of beef steak can freed both of us when I make a beef and barley stew from it. And there are a few days of lunch leftovers as well.

Nothing wrong with vegetables, they are an important part of our diet, but our bodies are evolved to need meat.

Top Bottom