What's new

1966 So many types. why?

I am collecting my birth year razors, and was wondering why so many types?

I could see a couple of options, but there are ALLOT of options for razors from one company.

Right now I have a Slim, Tech, SS flare tip, and Lady Gillette (Blue)
I am missing the Black handle SS, Knack, Lady Gillette (pink) Techmatic, and travel tech.
I MAY be missing a Lady Gillette (Champagne)

Gillette's DE production was flying high in the 1960s. Then they started making carts and the whole thing collapsed.
My birth year has at least 6 razors: Slim, Aristocrat (i.e., gold Slim), Fatboy, Flare Tip SS, Tech, and Lady Gillette. I own four of them. Isn't that enough?

Also, the changeover to predominately stainless blades was just finishing up. Gillette in the U.S. hit a market share low in 1965. It probably wanted as many possible razors to continue to stimulate trial of the Gillette stainless blades as well as have as many opportunities for people to have a razor they loved to buy the blades. DE was still the main priority of Gillette at that time, with the Techmatic a distant second.

Yeah that's a lot of choices, wanna trade? I'm 1983, so if I start it'll only be black SuperAdjustable, and black SuperSpeed

Think about it. Gillette's market share was eroding partly because Wilkinson was first with stainless steel blades that were considered superior to Gillette's non-stainless products and they were trying hard to do anything that would shore up sales and revenue.

1966 was the year I started shaving. Gillette knew they had a cash cow who could resist anything but temptation and ramped up production. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Top Bottom