What's new

Newbie. Help me stay with safety razor shaving.

I need serious help. I have shaved a couple of times with a Merkur razor and I just spent 100 bucks on all the shaving equipment to go along with it. Please tell me it will get better. I've lurked on all the shaving forums and have watched 50 videos on Youtube to try to get the best techniques, but every time I'm done it looks like Freddy Krueger got a hold me and the hair is not cut. I'm letting the razor do the cutting and not trying to push down. I'm using different blades and shave soaps, but its just horrible. It just feels like i sprayed lighter fluid on my face and neck then set it on fire, but the hair is still there. Is it possible that my face and neck is too sensitive for this type of shaving and disposable razors are better for my type of skin? Or is there a break in period? I actually dread shaving right now.

Last edited:
I'm relatively new to the DE world (December) and also have a Merkur 23 C. One of the big things that changed my shaves for the better was getting to know the grain pattern in which my hair grows. I had gotten a hot shave 2 years ago at the start of Movember and the guy doing it said to me "Anyone ever tell you that your growth pattern is all screwed up?" I think it was because he nicked me a couple times on the neck area...but he was right, my hair grows very erratically on my neck. It peaked my interest and I started letting a day or 2 growth to see which direction hair went and changing my shave from there ie on my neck under my chin the primary pass goes up toward the chin but on the outskirts toward the ears my primary pass goes down. I still routinely nick myself because I'm still refining my technique and trying to determine which blades I like or don't like. My advice is to assess the growth pattern, use a preshave oil, use an unscented cream or soap so that's not irritating you, get a great lather, take your time during, and then use a good post shave. (I'm not sure if I'll get roasted for this) but the first few times I shaved with my DE I used American Crew shave gel. It's calming, but also clear so I was able to see what I was doing. Good luck, hope this helps!

What bla de are you using and how many times are you using it is a big factor.your skin may not like that blade. are you good at whipping up your soap or using a cream.are you shaving right after a shower.I have turned saving into a hobby and so will you once you get the combination correct

Maybe you can also talk a bit about what you lather, how you lather along with the angles you use on your razor. This would help others chime in. Also, what type of skin and beard do you have? A brief rundown of your kit might help too.

I use Proraso Shave soap and I use a real thick lather. For blades, right now, I used Personna Double Edge and change the blade after bout 3 shaves. I only shave after a show never before. I would say I have a very course beard but paper thin, sensitive skin. I originally thought of this becoming a hobby so I've watched many videos on right angle so I guess its just more practice.

Like you I am new to the DE shaving world (2 weeks). I watched all the videos, ordered a Merkur HD 34C, and spent the next 10 days tearing my face up. I had ordered another razor to travel with and a few days ago started using a Edwin Jagger DE89, Proraso Pre Shave, and an Astra blade. It has been a TOTALLY different experience. No burn, no nicks, wicked close shave.

Being new I have no clue which of the 3 changes solved the problem, razor, blade, or pre shave. Or if in fact it is all 3.

All I know is it completely changed the experience for me. I am going to try the Merkur/Astra combination tomorrow to see if it is the Proraso Pre Shave that is making the difference.

Small update. I took my time and paid close attention to the grain. It took 10 mins just for one pass, but I had zero counts for the first time since I started wetshaving. I can't tell if this time shaving caused irritation because of the irritation of previous shaving, but when I put on aftershave this time I had very minimum burning while in the past my eyes would tear up it stung so bad. What is a good preshave soap? Right now I using a dove face wash. Thank you guys for all the help and comments.

You need to map your beardgrow, see from which direction they grow. I have mentioned this before in other topics, a WTG isn't simply from the north to the south. It's the pass where you have into the direction of your whiskers, this is almost never mentioned in many growguides!

My facial hairs grow from north east to south west, so if I have to a WTG I need to shave from NE to SW. Just let your hair grow a couple days and map it in the mirror. If you do this you will never get negative effects on your skin.

It just takes time, once you get the hang of it your shaves will be a lot better. I have been shaving for 1.5 years now with a DE razor, the last year I have been shaving with an agressive opencomb razor and I never got a nick, cut or irritation. I always get a full BBS, I'm not trying to brad or something like that but everyone can get a great shave with a DE razor.

You need to wait a couple days till your skin has recovered, if you go and shave now it will get only worse. There is just a learning curve, you'll get there it only takes time and practice.

Sounds like you've made some progress, that's great. Remember to use no pressure. You have a single blade, so the pressure is not spread out across multiple blades like a cart. You'll also want to be careful with your shaving angle. With some practice I'm sure you'll be having great shaves in no time.

Small update. I took my time and paid close attention to the grain. It took 10 mins just for one pass, but I had zero counts for the first time since I started wetshaving. I can't tell if this time shaving caused irritation because of the irritation of previous shaving, but when I put on aftershave this time I had very minimum burning while in the past my eyes would tear up it stung so bad. What is a good preshave soap? Right now I using a dove face wash. Thank you guys for all the help and comments.
+1

Once you can start figuring out what you were doing wrong then it starts getting easier. Take it slow and improvements will be there.

This will take a little more time to master. Once you go over all the individual fails and wins it will get better. ....as for soap info, on the B&B Soap forum and ask the pros.

You may have information overload and are trying to do do to much or change things up too frequently. I switched from carts, and it took me a long time to relearn how to shave. Carts and disposables require so much pressure to get a decent shave that even when I thought I was using no pressure, I wasn't. DE shaving gets better, but it's a skill that takes some of us longer to learn than others.

I personally think that blade-sampling is kind of foolish. I got 100 personna lab blues and I love them, but I could have just gotten lucky.

Good to hear! It's perfectly fine to spend more time learning your gear and face that way. Keep strokes short to help you maintain good angles while avoiding pressure. Speed comes eventually.

Just be patient and diligent. The rewards will soon be had.

Welcome!
It took me some time and patience to become comfortable with DE and SR shaving. As a past long time cartridge user, I found that my three most critical changes were:
1 - Keep the pressure gentle and light. By comparison, with cartridges, I was scraping my face. This is the toughest one for long-time cartridge shavers. One of mantic59's first videos gives a good way of figuring out the right amount of pressure. If I find it, I will edit this post to link it
2 - Take your time. If you make wet shaving part of your morning/evening/anytime routine, you will find that it will be your "me time." It is like going to the spa, except with a piece of surgical within striking distance of your jugular.
3 - See 1 above. Light pressure (light!)
In no time, you'll be wishing your hair would grow faster so that you could shave more often. Unless that's just me?
Keep us posted with your progress!

Welcome!
It took me some time and patience to become comfortable with DE and SR shaving. As a past long time cartridge user, I found that my three most critical changes were:
1 - Keep the pressure gentle and light. By comparison, with cartridges, I was scraping my face. This is the toughest one for long-time cartridge shavers. One of mantic59's first videos gives a good way of figuring out the right amount of pressure. If I find it, I will edit this post to link it
2 - Take your time. If you make wet shaving part of your morning/evening/anytime routine, you will find that it will be your "me time." It is like going to the spa, except with a piece of surgical within striking distance of your jugular.
3 - See 1 above. Light pressure (light!)
In no time, you'll be wishing your hair would grow faster so that you could shave more often. Unless that's just me?
Keep us posted with your progress!
Repeating it again -- because it's THE most important, especially for a former cart shaver: NO PRESSURE. I picture the blade "floating" on the skin.

Works for me.

Keep it up and good luck.

Top Bottom