What's new

I do not have a .22 rifle?

I got a limited edition Ruger 10/22 that has a 22" stainless barrel, competition trigger, and scope mounts. Not very expensive, super accurate, and tons of fun. Too bad ammo can be so tough to find!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
LOL

Really torn over the customability of the 10/22s and the tacticoolness of the MP15-22 and the solid craftsmanship of a Henry. Money is of great consequence as it always is. I haven't shopped around but I have to assume Henry's are pricy?

as Jason said not pricey at all. Now...they can get up to $1,000 but those are mostly larger calibers or super fancy engraved .22

.22's typically start at $350.
Their Survival AR-7 is $299

The other part of the ammo issue is that when you can find it, it might not be the most accurate for your rifle. I have a moderately upgraded 10/22 with bull barrel, KIDD trigger system, and some other little stuff. It's the proverbial tack driver, but only with some ammo. I put 5-6 in the same ragged hole, then a flier because of ammo irregularities. It'll put countless rounds through the same hole if I put match ammo in it, and do my part. Also, most changes in ammo will change point of impact at 50yds+. Point being, don't worry too much about high level, repeatable accuracy unless you can source a consistent supply of the same ammo. Chances are you'll buy what you can and still have to adjust accordingly and put up with occasional fliers. So get the style you like and start having some fun.
P.S. - I also have a 1926 Marlin 39 (No A) that is as just as damn good and more fun than my money pit 10/22 :w00t:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
+1 on KIDD. I've up graded my 10/22 with a KIDD trigger kit, KIDD bull barrel and a few other KIDD parts, with a heavy Boyd laminated target stock which I pillar bedded and glass bedded the action . Target grade accuracy with match ammo. A bit heavy for anything other than prone or bench rest shooting, but that's what I built it for. The YHM suppressor lets me shoot in the back yard without disturbing the neighbors. I'd like to have a couple more 10/22s, one in a sporter weight for tree rats and bunnies, one for a compact survival rifle with a folding stock. I'd equip them with KIDD triggers as well.

Attachments

• $057.jpg
    $057.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
I don't have a Henry, I've got a pre XTR Winchester 9422 that was purchased after many months of carefully studying gun ads in Boy's Life magazine. I had to choose between the Marlin, Browning and Winchester offerings. Still remember going to pick it up, somehow my chore money got subsidized by the Old Man...I believe he secretly wanted to have one to plink with. I even took the thing to an iron sight smallbore match and did just fine with it. It had (and still has) a clamp on Williams peep rear sight, and I managed to place about 4th of about twenty five junior shooters, and I was the only one shooting a lever action, and no sling or shooting glove or coat to boot.

I looked that model up on Gunbroker the other day and about spit out my coffee. I'd have to mow a lot of lawns to afford a 9422 nowadays. I'll treat mine a little more tenderly.

Somebody mentioned the CZ-452. I've got a Norinco JW-15 that's pretty much a copy of the CZ, and it shoots very well indeed.

Trigger was a little rough out of the box, and the safety took two men and a boy to engage, but about a thousand rounds later they both smoothed out some. IIRC, it set me back about sixty bucks when I bought it new in the 90's.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Broke out the above KIDD modified 10/22 this AM for a brief target session. 50 yds from the bench, groups a little less than 1 in. I don't know if I'm just out of practice (probably) or this gun doesn't like Aquila Super Extra subsonic rounds (probably). The gun shoots 1/2 in. groups at 50 yds with Wolf target ammo with ease in the past. But with current ammo supplies as they are, I'll shoot what ever subsonic rounds I can get my hands on.

The thing about .22 rifles is that they are so inexpensive that you can usually afford to have a couple of them. Having one or more 10/22's tricked out in different ways in addition to a precision target rifle is probably an option. Different guns for different purposes.

I've got a couple of utility .22 rifles, a beat up old Nylon-11 bolt gun and an inexpensive Armscor m20p semi-automatic. I'd like to upgrade the collection a bit, but I just got serious about firearms late in 2012. That was when the ammo supplies dried up, so I haven't been shopping for a gun that I can't feed. Now that there is at least a trickle of .22 ammo I should reconsider that.

I have a Model 60 that I love. I've always wished I had a 10/22 for the 30 round magazine and endless upgrade options, but there is something very satisfying about that Marlin.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
The thing about .22 rifles is that they are so inexpensive that you can usually afford to have a couple of them. Having one or more 10/22's tricked out in different ways in addition to a precision target rifle is probably an option. Different guns for different purposes.

I've got a couple of utility .22 rifles, a beat up old Nylon-11 bolt gun and an inexpensive Armscor m20p semi-automatic. I'd like to upgrade the collection a bit, but I just got serious about firearms late in 2012. That was when the ammo supplies dried up, so I haven't been shopping for a gun that I can't feed. Now that there is at least a trickle of .22 ammo I should reconsider that.

Went to Academy Sports and picked up 4 (the daily limit and all they had) 50 rnd boxes of Aquila Super Extra sub-sonic rounds. They say they get them in fairly frequently.

Like anything else, your options are only limited to your budget when it comes to 22lr.

I bought a plane-jane 10/22 a while back and modified it's trigger, stock and sights. it's amazingly accurate and I know that I haven't squeezed out half of it's accuracy potential yet. Probably have about $350 into the 10/22 and that's nothing compared to what some spend.

I also have a Henry 001 lever. Also fun to shoot and plenty accurate. The nice thing is that it can shoot 22lr, short and long.

One of these days, I need to pick up a good bolt action 22 with a nice scope.

What do you intend to do with this .22? Target shoot and plink, varmint control, hunting? One of the best all around .22 rifles is a Ruger 10/22. They are accurate, well made, and are very easy to modify to suit different needs and wants.

I own 3 .22 rifles...a Remington 511 Scoremaster, a Ruger 10/22, and a CZ 452 Trainer. I love them all, but the CZ 452 is hands down the most accurate .22 I have personally fired. CZ does not make this particular model anymore, but they can still be found if you look around. The prices will be around $400 plus or minus, but its money well spent.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Shot some more Aquila Super Extra subsonics in my KIDD modified 10/22, best 10 round group at 50 yds 0.63 in. CTC. Not a very consistent round but cheap and somewhat available.

I've got a plain jane 10/22. I don't really shoot it much though. I originally wanted to make it a bench/prone tack driver, but never got around to it, something shiny always comes along and distracts me and I never had the chance to add the KIDD trigger or the KIDD bull barrel I wanted and a different stock.

I have a pile of .22 rifles. As far as sporter weight guns go, a CZ is hard to beat in terms of craftsmanship, fit, finish, and accuracy. I have several.

I don't care for 10/22 rifles even though I own one. I certainly don't see throwing a pile of cash at one to try and make target rifle. I prefer to just spend the money on an Anschutz 54, Winchester 52, Remington 40x or Remington Model 37. I shot a lot of local benchrest matches on the green monster target. You have to do your homework and often lighten your wallet to be competitive.

Last edited:
I'd like to upgrade the collection a bit, but I just got serious about firearms late in 2012. That was when the ammo supplies dried up, so I haven't been shopping for a gun that I can't feed. Now that there is at least a trickle of .22 ammo I should reconsider that.

Where is this trickle of ammo?

Where is this trickle of ammo?

Actually found some at Cabela's (Richfield, WI) yesterday morning. They didn't have a ton, but they had some which is more than what I have been seeing. I was able to buy a 300 round bulk box of Mini-Mags. Limit one bulk box.

Really three great choices:

Classic lever - Henry
Classic wood stock, traditional - Ruger 10/22
Tactical - MP15-22

Pick your look and go for it.

Top Bottom