What's new

I do not have a .22 rifle?

Thinking this is kinda strange, I have other firearms, but not a .22 rifle. Gonna start looking around, Ruger 10/22's seem nice to upgrade, and I like the flush fit magazine, but they don't have a great reputation for being as accurate as some others right out of the box.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
What level of accuracy are you looking for? What do you want to spend? There are several models of 10/22 and there are an infinite variety of after market upgrades available. Stock 10/22s are fine out of the box for general plinking. The trigger benefits the most (as in many firearms) in upgrading. Peruse http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php for all maters rimfire.
Marlin 39A is a fine rimfire lever action and fun to shoot. There are many fine bolt action guns as well. No gun collection is complete without at least one .22LR rifle. A .22 rifle is probably the most useful firearm next to a basic shotgun.

For accurate out of the box, there is Savage if you like modern. For more classic check out the CZ models. Both are exceptionally accurate and good looking as well.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I've got a Remington 597 that I haven't even shot yet. I've had it for a year.
My question is Why do I have a .22 rifle :lol:

But I kid, It was the first firearm I ever bought. I'm going to get a Henry next.

I've got lots of time to look for sure. I've been reading at rimfire central, that is what is helping form my opinions so far. I don't want a synthetic stock. I did get hands on with a 10/22 carbine, and a Mossberg plinker today at a shop. The Ruger felt good in hand, and I could not hand the Mossberg back to the shop guy fast enough, reminded me of a Heritage Arms .22 revolver I once had.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I've got lots of time to look for sure. I've been reading at rimfire central, that is what is helping form my opinions so far. I don't want a synthetic stock. I did get hands on with a 10/22 carbine, and a Mossberg plinker today at a shop. The Ruger felt good in hand, and I could not hand the Mossberg back to the shop guy fast enough, reminded me of a Heritage Arms .22 revolver I once had.

Another .22 I once considered.

If I had to do over again I would have got the 10/22. There is just a pleathra of aftermarket items available. Academy Sports has almost 4 feet of stuff for the 10/22....and for my Rem. 597 all I could find was a 30rd mag.

Rimfire Central will certainly eat up a lot of your free time. I'm a forum member there as well and I will tell you that asking about rifles there is like asking which blade is best here. Opinions Galore.

CZ makes great rifles with wooden stocks that are extremely accurate. I own a CZ 452 American and wish I had bought another 452 before they stopped making them.

Savage makes some inexpensive rifles that are very accurate but a lot of them come with synthetic stocks which I know you don't want. You can always upgrade the stock to wood.

The Ruger 10/22 is a fun 'plinking' rifle to me. For poppin' cans at 30 yards I love a 10/22. I prefer a bolt action if I'm doing some serious shooting and trying to get 5 shots into a dime sized target at 100 yards. Yes, there are some very competitive 10/22s out there but I liken them to the heavily modded Hondas and Toyotas that still can't keep up with stock American Muscle.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Two ways to go, you seem to know your way around a rifle. Both have been mentioned above .. For the modern semi the Ruger 10/22 is the one - you may go broke buying stocks, and barrels etc (I have one). Retro I don't have but want is a Marlin Golden 39 .. classic, real walnut, and never got around to getting one as other guns ate up the firearms budget. Kid I grew up with had one

I got a thompson center 22 classic. My uncle gave it to me back in the day when you could get blocks of 22 ammo for under $10.
I shot a telephone pole in half with it.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
LOL

Really torn over the customability of the 10/22s and the tacticoolness of the MP15-22 and the solid craftsmanship of a Henry. Money is of great consequence as it always is. I haven't shopped around but I have to assume Henry's are pricy?

Where is it that a person can even purchase a .22 shell nowadays?

Every store within 5 states of me hasn't had a .22 shell on their shelves in about 4 years...

Where is it that a person can even purchase a .22 shell nowadays?

Every store within 5 states of me hasn't had a .22 shell on their shelves in about 4 years...
There's a thread about that, it seems to depend on where you are. It's still being snatched up by the hoarders around here, but we don't use much at our house.

Top Bottom