What's new

Hoping this is a "Keeper"

I just bought this a few weeks ago, and have been badger the seller to accept payment and mail it, from
France. I don't think the seller liked it going for the low price. The seller didn't know exactly what it was, other than an "Old Gillette". I am awaiting arrival, however long that will take. I was also told the handle doesn't have any cracks. This is the only photo of the razor, and it isn't the best. I am hoping it is a "Big Boy", or a "Big Fellow". If it is, should it be kept "as is", or plated? I do not intend on reselling this. If it is an "Old Type", then I will just take my lumps, like a big boy, and sulk for a few days.

$$_57.jpg

You're right, the price was decent ... I saw that one. :tongue_sm

What if it's an Old Type Big Fellow?

It isn't ... :laugh: It's a New Improved Big Fellow.

It will probably clean up nicely, congrats.

See, I didn't even know that. Is it a common, or an uncommon razor, for a "Big Fellow"? Should it be brought back to its original state?? Or, left "as is"? By the looks of it, it was probably gold plated. What were the original finishes offered on this type of razor.
I appreciate the ID, on this.

See, I didn't even know that. Is it a common, or an uncommon razor, for a "Big Fellow"? Should it be brought back to its original state?? Or, left "as is"? By the looks of it, it was probably gold plated. What were the original finishes offered on this type of razor.
I appreciate the ID, on this.

Well, it's not common like a Tech, but I wouldn't call it uncommon either ... It is gold plated, leaving as is or replating it's up to you, I would probably just clean it up and use as is.
These came in gold and silver.

With my luck, I will get it in the mail, open it, and find a whole row of teeth ground down. Like someone had a month or two ago.
Thanks Edgar.

Nah ... it will be fine, and most likely it'll clean up nicely.

You're obsessed with replates aren't you? :lol:

Yes. Because most of the razors I buy look pretty rough. I do this for the cost. Also, I like to resurrect old, forgotten, and ugly razors.
Kind of like Rudolph, and the Land of the Misfit Toys. It's a second chance at life thing.
That, and I think the price of nice, and new looking vintage razors are overpriced.

Yes. Because most of the razors I buy look pretty rough. I do this for the cost. Also, I like to resurrect old, forgotten, and ugly razors.
Kind of like Rudolph, and the Land of the Misfit Toys. It's a second chance at life thing.
That, and I think the price of nice, and new looking vintage razors are overpriced.

Nothing wrong with replating, it's all a matter of personal preference. Personally I think that most of the time it's better to leave their character intact. Again, nothing wrong with a replate, it's your razor you do as you please. :thumbsup:

Nothing wrong with replating, it's all a matter of personal preference. Personally I think that most of the time it's better to leave their character intact. Again, nothing wrong with a replate, it's your razor you do as you please. :thumbsup:

I agree. I have some razors that are replates and I like them. I don't know if I'd replate a particularly rare razor, but for a "normal" razor, I'd say if you want to replate - go for it. A good replating job really looks nice.

Would you leave the chrome work on a historic car like a Cord untouched if it was pitted and go ahead and replate a 1957 Chevy? Do not understand the wet shaving hang up about a proper replated razor. I think it adds value, not detract. Now, if done by less than a skilled craftsman and the replated razor looks like stuff was painted on, thick and thin in places and not perfect in every way then I have a different opinion.

I like the patina on an old silver razor. I'd rather have that than a shiny replate. With that said, I have a replated Rothbart that looks and shaves great. It was gold and in BAD shape. I would probably have this Big Fellow replated.

I picked up a Big Fellow in almost the exact same condition yesterday. Mine didn't come with the box, but I got it for a steal.

I too can't decide if I want to replate mine. I shaved with it this morning and it performed great. To me it felt much more aggressive than a regular New Improved, even more aggressive than an Old Type.

I hope you enjoy yours!

Would you leave the chrome work on a historic car like a Cord untouched if it was pitted and go ahead and replate a 1957 Chevy? Do not understand the wet shaving hang up about a proper replated razor. I think it adds value, not detract. Now, if done by less than a skilled craftsman and the replated razor looks like stuff was painted on, thick and thin in places and not perfect in every way then I have a different opinion.

I'm going to assume that you were asking me. Well, I suppose just how serious the damage was to the chrome on the cars. It might be best to say that I'd have a higher threshold on the Cord than I would the Chevy. But it it was peeling, rusted, and scabby it would go for a replate. If it weren't too bad, I'd look at the dings & corrosion as patina,though. How bad is "too bad"? No idea, I guess I'd have to say I'll know it when I see it. You're right - a completely subjective answer.

But, it's your car and your razor, you can do what you'd like without worrying about second-guessing from me.

Last edited:
The Big Fellow came in yesterday. I was at the Texas Renaissance Festival with my 8 yr old, and didn't make it home until late that night, so I couldn't post about it. Until now.
In examining the razor, it looks like almost all the razor is exposed brass, originally gold. Two corner teeth are slightly bent. I almost didn't notice, but then again, I was wiped out.
There is a small crack in the handle, hard to see, only about 1/8 inch, near the top part.
Other than that, it looks solid. I think the original owner was an aggressive cleaner, and the gold finish couldn't take that.
The wooden box is complete, and not cracked. The pushbutton mechanism is complete but not working.
There is a lot of water staining on the box, it looks like the owner kept it in the bathroom and stored the razor in it wet, at times.
The family is sleeping now. I am an early riser. So, I will take photos later.
All opinions, pro's and con's, about the refurbishing, of the razor and case, are much appreciated. I will not get my feelings hurt.

Very nice Set! I am torn on keeping it original or replating. If I were replating, it would be because it is going to sit in its box as a show piece. If I were going to use it, I would just clean it up and polish it. Congrats on a great find!

Last edited:
Very nice find and congrats! Here's my take on replate vs. leave it, fwiw. Clean it up, see what it looks like. If it's still nasty looking, replate it. It's a razor, not a classic car. There's no Mecum auctions for razors. And it's yours to do with as you please. If it were mine, I'd replate it and return it to its former glory.

As an aside, in keeping with the classic car analogy. A number of weeks ago I went to a Cruise Night here in central Mass. where an owner pulled in with a late 50s Vette, definitely a barn find. The fiberglass was cracked, the car had been previously worked on, bondo'd and then neglected. The owner was torn between leaving it as is, stating he didn't want to change the patina and restoring it. I told him look, Chevy didn't manufacture this car to have it sit in a barn and look like crap for 40 years. Restore it, allow the poor car to look as it did when Chevy built it and not suffer the fate of some owner who didn't care about it. Just because he didn't care, doesn't mean you shouldn't. Not sure whether he took my advice or not, I hope he decided to restore it. Personally, I don't buy the "patina argument", it's one of my pet peeves wrt classic cars. Sorry for the digression.

Good luck with your decision. And whatever it is, I'm sure you'll be comfortable with it.

Very nice find and congrats! Here's my take on replate vs. leave it, fwiw. Clean it up, see what it looks like. If it's still nasty looking, replate it. It's a razor, not a classic car. There's no Mecum auctions for razors. And it's yours to do with as you please. If it were mine, I'd replate it and return it to its former glory.

As an aside, in keeping with the classic car analogy. A number of weeks ago I went to a Cruise Night here in central Mass. where an owner pulled in with a late 50s Vette, definitely a barn find. The fiberglass was cracked, the car had been previously worked on, bondo'd and then neglected. The owner was torn between leaving it as is, stating he didn't want to change the patina and restoring it. I told him look, Chevy didn't manufacture this car to have it sit in a barn and look like crap for 40 years. Restore it, allow the poor car to look as it did when Chevy built it and not suffer the fate of some owner who didn't care about it. Just because he didn't care, doesn't mean you shouldn't. Not sure whether he took my advice or not, I hope he decided to restore it. Personally, I don't buy the "patina argument", it's one of my pet peeves wrt classic cars. Sorry for the digression.

Good luck with your decision. And whatever it is, I'm sure you'll be comfortable with it.

No digression. Great analogy. Thanks. I am now off to take some photos, then clean it up. I will post the photos later. Thanks.

I got around to taking the before photos, and after photos. It took a while to clean the razor up, but, it came out better than expected. There was more gold remaining than I thought. The crack, in the handle, is now more pronounced. I need advise as to how to keep it from getting worse, as well as how to repair. The razor shaved excellently, was less aggressive, and smoother than I thought. I think its a keeper.

Before

Attachments

• $PA260487.jpg
    $PA260487.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 78
  • $PA260488.jpg
    $PA260488.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 77
  • $PA260489.jpg
    $PA260489.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 77
  • $PA260490.jpg