What's new

How to properly wash out oil based pomades

Marco,
You've made me pomade curious after reading your posts in this forum. I just wanted to ask your thoughts on Shampoo Bars? From my understanding this is what people used before WW2. All modern shampoo's contain SLS and SLEC(sodium laurel sulfate/sodium laureth sulfate. I kinda want to keep it all old school and I think the dish soap also contain both those ingredients. Reading about shampoo bars they are saying to use a vinegar rinse to get rid of the build up. Will I just have to suck it up and use the dish soap or is there another way?

Nuke, I use shampoo bars regularly. For daily washing or for me, more like two to three times per week, they are superb. I have hesitated to use the word shampoo for these products because they are real soaps. Lye, oils, scents. They work great for me. The vinegar rinse issue is overblown in my opinion. It is not always necessary. Now mind, it has been my experience that hair and scalp is even more finicky that your beard. I do recommend the vinegar rinse the first five to ten times you use a real hair soap. Any old vinegar will do. Then see how your hair does without it. Just mix about two tablespoons with a litre of warm water and pour it over the washed hair. You don't even need to rinse it out. Towel dry as normal and go.

I have been using Queen Charlotte Soaps shampoo bars the last few months and honestly find them to be the best I have tried. Matthew really knows his work. I am unsure if he ships to the EU but it may be worth inquiring.

Don't fear the pomade removal technique suggested by Marco. I have a very sensitive scalp. It is what led me away from the commercial shampoos and to the shampoo soap bars. The SLS is not so much the issue with the itching and dryness. A bit of Googling reveals that detergents do not lather by themselves. When they first came out people complained they did not lather properly so the manufacturers added lathering agents to them to make it more like soap. I am convinced it is the lathering agents that caused most of my issues. I am not saying one way or the other on SLS but if you want to get away from it the shampoo bars are a GREAT way to do it. All natural too. Slainte!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Marco,
You've made me pomade curious after reading your posts in this forum. I just wanted to ask your thoughts on Shampoo Bars? From my understanding this is what people used before WW2. All modern shampoo's contain SLS and SLEC(sodium laurel sulfate/sodium laureth sulfate. I kinda want to keep it all old school and I think the dish soap also contain both those ingredients. Reading about shampoo bars they are saying to use a vinegar rinse to get rid of the build up. Will I just have to suck it up and use the dish soap or is there another way?

Nuke, a shampoo bar combined with a vinegar rinse is certainly an excellent alternative to modern liquid shampoos. As you properly point out it's an Old School method with natural ingredients, but IMHO it's only a substitute for a regular shampoo, not for the olive oil plus dish soap combo. Olive oil has a unique property to let the pomade break down and a dish soap is the best degreaser around. Here in Italy I use a dish soap called "Winni's", which is mostly made with pure natural ingredients, it's eco friendly and contains no heavy chemicals.

With Brylcreem, I guess I am using it differently. I use it as a leave-in conditioner, that means I use it only after I wash my hair . I've never had a problem removing it. If I feel my hair is getting built up, I just do a "lather-rinse-repeat".

I tend to prefer Groom & Clean just because it is easy to remove (and you can reactivate it a bit with some water). But it has a heavy Bay Rum type scent that gets ridiculous if you use anything but a small amount. Still, it has a gentle hold and the modern alternatives all tend to have the polyvinyl glues in them (which aren't bad per se but they have issues of their own).

The olive oil makes sense. Also, the oil will penetrate into the hair, condition it, and should wash clean on the surface with mild soap.

Not all modern shampoos have SLS. There are some newer surfactants out that are used in baby shampoos and high end shampoo that are milder but they also will not remove heavy grease easily, like in a pomade. They do not make good "clarifying" shampoos but are meant to use daily and not damage hair. And some shampoos use SLS only sparingly. In the 50's and 60's everybody was using harsh detergents to wash their hair, at least in America, so heavy use of products like Brylcreem was of course popular because it was pretty-much necessary. And women's hair was even worse.

Last edited:
After using Dax about 25 years ago, I switched to water based pomades. The Dax was ruining my pillowcases and I just couldn't get it out of my hair. My hair is very thick and full and is now mostly gray (used to be dark brown, back in the day). The pomades I like the best are Suavecito and JS Sloan, but something was missing in the look. After all the talk in this forum about oil based pomades and how to get them out, I bought a can of Murray's Superior, the last time I was in the drug store. Just a little over 3 bucks, so not much invested.

I love the look of Murray's in my hair. LOVE! Hold is great, smell is great. Here's my problems. After applying, I can't get it off my hands! I wash with a pumice soap ... and after three or four washes (and scrubbing), I can still feel it on my hands and can see water beading up on my hands. Also, I'm having trouble getting it out of my hair. I tried Groom and Clean, which worked ... sort of. I'm still shampooing 4 times after the G&C, but can still feel the pomade in my hair. All that shampooing isn't good for my hair! I'm reluctant to try olive oil, because washing cooking oil down the drain can cause a huge blockage. It freezes in the pipeline, due to high freezing point. I've seen it happen in kitchens. Any suggestions would be helpful, especially for my hands.
You raise a very good point in the harm that even a little olive oil can do in pipes. I hadn't thought about this before. Out of site, out of mind in many ways but what harm could this be doing in the long run? I just did a Google search on the effects of olive oil on pipes and drains and it isn't pretty.
Any alternatives to using olive oil that would be safe going down the drain?

Furthermor, what about petroleum based products damaging leather or even fabric on a couch/chair/headboard, etc? I am just thinking if I'm wanting to take a quick nap or even sitting in bed reading with my head up against the headboard, will I ruin any type of material that my head comes in contact with? If so, I hate to think that I have to be so aware of something I shouldn't have to be aware of.

Furthermor, what about petroleum based products damaging leather or even fabric on a couch/chair/headboard, etc? I am just thinking if I'm wanting to take a quick nap or even sitting in bed reading with my head up against the headboard, will I ruin any type of material that my head comes in contact with? If so, I hate to think that I have to be so aware of something I shouldn't have to be aware of.
I've heard of this being an issue, but I personally haven't ran into it. I've used all sorts of pomades too. I guess it depends on the person?

No, leather won't be harmed by it, what do you think leather conditioners are made of?.

And to the other guy regarding washing out the pomade.
Bro, relax, you're not supposed to wash this out on a daily or 2 day basis. I have very thick hair as well and can get most of it out in one wash.
I can wash it off my hands with regular soap as well. Use warm water when washing off your hands.
Groom and clean, leave it in for 30-40 minuets or even a day, use a cleansing shampoo.

Pomades aren't ment to go in your hair and out the next day, they are supposed to stay in your hair. I've "ruined" pillow cases too, but eventually they start adjusting to the pomade even after you wash them. Consider it a fabric softener.

P.S did you ever think your inexperience with pomade is making you...use too much at one time?
Try the build up technique, use a little one day, a little the next day until the end of the week, then wash it out on saturday and let your hair breath one sunday and resume monday.

I'm a little late to this thread but I have a question. I recently started using Reuzel medium hold grease and was wondering about washing it out. I have always heard its best to not wash you hair every day which I'm ok with but... I frequent the gym and get very sweaty. On days where I have not hit the gym I don't use any shampoo but has anyone else tried not shampooing that frequents the gym? Does your hair start to smell or look dirty? Just wondering if this is a viable option for me.

I'm a little late to this thread but I have a question. I recently started using Reuzel medium hold grease and was wondering about washing it out. I have always heard its best to not wash you hair every day which I'm ok with but... I frequent the gym and get very sweaty. On days where I have not hit the gym I don't use any shampoo but has anyone else tried not shampooing that frequents the gym? Does your hair start to smell or look dirty? Just wondering if this is a viable option for me.

It can. I would throw some water in my hair before sweating, that way it resets the pomade and makes it heavy so it doesn't look gross.
After you wet it, run a comb through it, hit the gym for your hour, and it should look just fine.

It's okay to rise your hair out every day, even using a LITTLE BIT of shampoo is fine as well :)

Top Bottom