What's new

Journaling questions

I would like to get into journaling to do more writing but I'm not quite sure where to start, subject-wise. For those here who do journals, what do you typically write about? Do you have a format that you like to stick to?

I think most will say to journal about whatever you want. I started simple to better my handwriting, and only really just summarize my day and whatever the mood was. Typically once the juice starts to flow it grows from what was originally a paragraph or two, to about 4 pages of a "journal" size book. I also try to use a different color every time and document it next to the date and time entry as I have many color samples to go through.

Just start writing.

Morning pages are awesome: three pages of whatever, every day. Suggestion is from "The Artist's Way" from Julia Cameron.

Normally the format is fluid, depending on events, but as a rule I include

• Quote of the day
  • How the day (or couple of days if I missed an entry) has gone
  • What the future holds
  • Random thoughts
  • What I've done today to move closer to my core values

I pretty much do what Andy said, but I also add a summery of the news of the day and my thoughts on that.

I bought a staple bound notebook sized journal and it's easy for a few sentences to turn into 3 or 4 pages. The main thing is just start writing.

When I was a kid I had a terrible time keeping a journal. When I read back, I found that the most worthwhile notes were the spiritual and emotional experiences tied to each event i.e. I can look up what happened on 9/11/2001 any day and I remember where I was, but I can't remember how I felt.

Subject-wise, it can be whatever you want it to be.

I like to use a journal for reflection and evaluating myself. Most of what I write concerns some value or goal of improvement and what I can do to accomplish my goal and live up to my values.

Nobody can tell you what you should write. My journals have whatever happens to be going through my head. Some of it, maybe most, is just blather, as I enjoy the feeling of writing too much to be stopped by not having anything worthwhile to write.:001_cool:

But a lot of it is musing about things where I'm trying to work out what I think. Some is my thoughts about things that have been happening to me, or events that are in the news. Also, when I learn something new and interesting, I often write it down on the theory that it will help me to remember it. I keep a separate mini-journal for new words that I learn, and a work notebook for technical things connected with my job.

When my current journal is large enough to have margins, I put notes in them to help me locate subjects later. Otherwise, I number all the pages and make notes on the covers of where I can find things that I might want to return to.

I agree with everyone on their points. You need to find something fulfilling enough to YOU that you will keep to it.

I think that keeping a journal of theory, ideas, etc is also useful. I carry around a little Moleskin solely for that purpose. I think that when I or my children reflect back on those things it will demonstrate my true self at the time of writing it.

I would recommend starting with the "stream of consciousness" approach. Just write whatever is in your head, even if it is "I don't know what to write about right now." Just keep doing that and it will get easier. Once you're more comfortable with it, I've found it helpful to write about anything that is stressing me out, things I am thankful for (especially when I'm not feeling very thankful) and prayers for others.

I try to write something every day. And it doesn't matter what. Sometimes it will be an interesting event or observation, sometimes it will be about weather or atmospheric phenomena (today it was x degrees, or this evening I saw a shooting star in such and such direction at such and such location), sometimes it will be an interesting thought. Sometimes it will be one sentence, sometimes it will be several pages.

If I were to limit myself to a particular topic, or a minimum word requirement, I don't think I'd be as enthusiastic about maintaining the habit.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Figure out what you want your journal to be when you are finished, and make it happen.

Personally, I like writing the interesting details from the day's events, sometimes just a few lines, occasionally a page or two. It can be a great "memory trigger" for years to come ...

Don't be afraid to let the journal change its purpose in mid-stream, either.

Write about your life. Not interesting? You would be surprised. Back in the day, I did some volunteer work for my church for a period of about two years. My biggest regret? Not journaling more. One day a few months ago, I was trying to recall some detail about something that happened. I went back to the approximate time frame (summer of 1981) and nothing. Zero, zip, nada. I was devastated. I don't recall what the incident was now, or even why I wanted to remember it right now. But if I wanted to go back to it I couldn't.

But just about anything is fair game. Quotes, poems, even notes on something you are reading. I like to mike mine multi-colored. The 1981 incident? Blue ballpoint at the time. A Parker Jotter Flighter.

Just start writing.

Morning pages are awesome: three pages of whatever, every day. Suggestion is from "The Artist's Way" from Julia Cameron.

I've read that book and did this as part of recovering from a major illness. I've kept on and it is fascinating looking back to see how my journaling has changed over time.

Corey, as others have said, just start writing. Write anything, literally anything, especially if you are stuck. I've started entries with utter gibberish just to get the process going.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
If you have kids, write about them. Their accomplishments, be it standing for the first time, or standing for highschool president. What they say, and how they say it. Case in point:

"Mummy needs to exercise more. Her belly looks like she's having a baby, but it's empty."
--spoken by a 6-year-old.

:001_rolle

Oh ... make sure your journal stays private.

Thank you everyone! I needed a starting point and I think I have one. I also really like the idea of multiple colors. I need more ink now!

Thanks for posting this, Corey. I've often wondered the same question. I have had trouble sticking with a journal. I'll have to give it a go too!

One important point. Make sure it's private and secure. Both my wife and I keep a journal each. We both know that it's off limits to the other. Share what you feel like with others, but a journal is your private haven. But if you feel like others are going to have access to it, you won't share some of your thoughts and feelings for the day, and it just won't be worth it. After all, why keep a journal if all you do write is what you would in a day planner?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Let me run this idea by youse guys ...

An italic 1.5mm nib for date lines & headings, loaded with a black or off-black ink.
A fine-nibbed pen with a not-black lighter-coloured ink for daily notes.
A second fine-nibbed pen with a noticeably different light-coloured ink for "special days" or trips.

20 October, 2014

I read the news today oh boy About a lucky man who made the grade And though the news was rather sad Well I just had to laugh I saw the photograph He blew his mind out in a car He didn't notice that the lights had changed A crowd of people stood and stared They'd seen his face before Nobody was really sure If he was from the House of Lords I saw a film today oh boy The English Army had just won the war A crowd of people turned away But I just had to look Having read the book I'd love to turn you on

Woke up, fell out of bed Dragged a comb across my head Found my way downstairs and drank a cup And looking up I noticed I was late Found my coat and grabbed my hat Made the bus in seconds flat Found my way upstairs and had a smoke And somebody spoke and I went into a dream I read the news today oh boy Four thousand holes in Blackburn, Lancashire And though the holes were rather small They had to count them all Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall I'd love to turn you on

21 October, 2014

I read the news today oh boy About a lucky man who made the grade And though the news was rather sad Well I just had to laugh I saw the photograph He blew his mind out in a car He didn't notice that the lights had changed A crowd of people stood and stared They'd seen his face before Nobody was really sure If he was from the House of Lords I saw a film today oh boy The English Army had just won the war A crowd of people turned away But I just had to look Having read the book I'd love to turn you on

Woke up, fell out of bed Dragged a comb across my head Found my way downstairs and drank a cup And looking up I noticed I was late Found my coat and grabbed my hat Made the bus in seconds flat Found my way upstairs and had a smoke And somebody spoke and I went into a dream I read the news today oh boy Four thousand holes in Blackburn, Lancashire And though the holes were rather small They had to count them all Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall I'd love to turn you on

22 October, 2014

23 October, 2014

... works for me!

I would like to get into journaling to do more writing but I'm not quite sure where to start, subject-wise. For those here who do journals, what do you typically write about? Do you have a format that you like to stick to?

I write daily thoughts, to-do lists, dreams and interpretations, words to look up in dictionary, current events and my opinions, test new pens, test new inks, math, project planning, etc. I have a really cool leather journal. It's sort of like a book cover and the pad can be removed and replaced when finished. Actually, maybe I will post a pic soon.

Top Bottom