What's new

How to trim around a Van Dyke

$goateesaver.jpg

I use whatever DE I happen to be using to shape whatever beard style I happen to be rocking. I have found the most success with an OC DE but I've been playing around with using a shavette to touch up around my goatee (currently what I'm rocking) so that might be an option for you.

I use whatever DE I happen to be using to shape whatever beard style I happen to be rocking. I have found the most success with an OC DE but I've been playing around with using a shavette to touch up around my goatee (currently what I'm rocking) so that might be an option for you.

I've found an OC to work better too, which surprised me.

I use whatever DE happens to be in my hand at the time. I currently have 5 in active rotation.

I have no need for a guide to tell me where my goatee is. I just shave it by feel.

About once a month I will use electric clippers to thin out the bulk, and a pair of barber shears to trim the whiskers around my mouth.
Once or twice a year I might ask a barber to trim it up when I get a haircut, although that usually costs extra.

I find a Schick injector works very well.

here here!

a single edge works quite well. such as an injector or a GEM single edge. eaiser to see exactly where the blade is cutting IMO

+2 I use my Injector to trim up after I've finished the rest with my DE. I find the 34c to be a little too unweildy and big to do a precision job. Before I bought the Injector, my beard kept getting smaller, and smaller, and smaller...

I tend to gently trim with just water, otherwise I can't see what I'm doing. Initially I was holding the Injector at the wrong angle, so there's been a learning curve. But once I figured out what I was doing, it's pretty forgiving even without proper lube.

I just use my DE razor...although I have noticed that I trimmed into the right side (stage right) a little deeper than the left yesterday. I'll need to even that out tomorrow. Perhaps it's a sign that I'm supposed to shave it off after 14 years of my chin and upper lip not seeing daylight - but that would mean I'd have to learn how to shave those with a DE, so....nah :001_smile

What I do to help see the lines is ill use my hand to rub in some water into the lather so it is thin but still pretty slick. This is sufficient fo detail work.

in terms of lining up my goatee, I smile and follow the natural contours of my face. Don't feel you have to nail your goatee perfectly the first shave... Leave it a little larger than what you want and over a couple of shave slowly trim it down to where you are happy.

Now if you've had your goat for 14 years, you don't need to worry about this but I like to switch up my look every once in a while.

Daily, I use whatever razor I'm using, usually an Ikon slant. However, ever week or two when i trim my eyebrows with an electric beard trimmer, I usually touch-up my goatee.

I use whatever DE happens to be in my hand at the time. I currently have 5 in active rotation.

I have no need for a guide to tell me where my goatee is. I just shave it by feel.

About once a month I will use electric clippers to thin out the bulk, and a pair of barber shears to trim the whiskers around my mouth.
Once or twice a year I might ask a barber to trim it up when I get a haircut, although that usually costs extra.
This is pretty much what I do as well. It really isn't that tough.

Top Bottom