What's new

Astra SP Blades

I noticed that the 2 Top SS USA manufacturers of DE Safety Razors include Astra SP with their products. What does that tell ya?

The free five pack I got with my ATT R2 Atlas from Bullgoose told me to buy a 100-pack. Less than 11 cents per blade, too (even free shipping). I still like Polisilver Super Iridiums and Personna Reds and Med Preps, but you can't beat these for price-performance ratio in my book.

I received a 5 pack with my Weber and I would have probably never tried them, but they will always be on the shelf along with Feather and Gillette Silver Blues

My first 5 pack of Astra blades told me never to use them again. I'm one of the few people on B&B who just can't get a comfortable shave with Astras.

I noticed that the 2 Top SS USA manufacturers of DE Safety Razors include Astra SP with their products. What does that tell ya?

It tells me that they likely get a really good deal on them buying in bulk, even over the 100 blade packs. ;-)

Honestly though, they are an incredibly cheap blade that performs well for many people, me included. They can be wonderful to start off with for a DE newcomer, and still a solid, reliable blade for those with more experience. I for one will always keep them in my rotation.

I just used an Astra for the first time in my Weber and got an amazing shave. Just ordered 100 for no reason other than it was "earned".

In fact this was the first time I've used anything other than a Lab Blue and am looking forward to experimenting with different blades.

Well, I tried them in my new Weber with BullDog handle. Wow, very impressive smooth close shave. Every bit as close as my Feather (which was the first blade I tried in the new Weber), but much smoother. I will order a 100 pak for sure. BTW, very impressed with my Weber. Awesome quality at less than half the price of an ATT.

BTW, very impressed with my Weber. Awesome quality at less than half the price of an ATT.

If you are so moved, check out the Weber QC thread in the DE razor forum. There's another lynch mob forming, which may be deserved, but you sound like at least a second recent success story. They seem like an entrepreneurial enterprise that I for one would like to see succeed.

It tells me that they likely get a really good deal on them buying in bulk, even over the 100 blade packs. ;-)
+1 ... I wouldn't read too much into the brand of blades offered with an Artisnal razor. Its more about economics than an outright endorsement.

Honestly though, they are an incredibly cheap blade that performs well for many people, me included. They can be wonderful to start off with for a DE newcomer, and still a solid, reliable blade for those with more experience. I for one will always keep them in my rotation.
+1 again ... The AstraSP is the most universal blade I've ever used. It works well with any razor, any beard, any software. If you're looking for a general purpose, drop-it-in-and-run-with-it blade that's guaranteed to give a good shave, the AstraSP is it.

That's not to say you should assume that the AstraSP is the be-all, end-all blade and is the only one you'll ever need. Keep going through your Sampler Pack, keep experimenting, and I'm sure you'll find brands that will out-perform this one.

Well, I tried them in my new Weber with BullDog handle. Wow, very impressive smooth close shave. Every bit as close as my Feather (which was the first blade I tried in the new Weber), but much smoother. I will order a 100 pak for sure. BTW, very impressed with my Weber. Awesome quality at less than half the price of an ATT.
+1

They are probably my favorite blade. I always use them when trying out a new razor/soap/brush as they are very dependent.

Recieved my first 100 pack of Astra SP on Friday and noticed the blades are only single wraped in paper. The samples I recieved with my Weber De Razor were double wrapped. The had an inner and outer paper wrap. These are the ones in the card board 5 packs and the outer box looks the same. Anyone run into this and know what the difference is?

Top Bottom