What's new

They call me insane

Everytime when I start to talk about this hobby with someone they really keep looking at me as if I'm speaking a different language. I even showed a guy some pictures of my DE razors on my mobilephone (seriously), when he saw the razor he told me "you are crazy, the blade looks so dangerous". I was like LOL Even with the most agressive razor (Roedter 1909 equipped with a Feather blade) I don't get a nick, cut and or razorburns.

Oh well, if he wants to have bad shaves and pay a lot for a product that doesn't even work it's his money. Switching to DE shaving is the BEST decision I ever have made in my entire life, it's much cheaper and the shaves I get are waaaaaay better than the Fusions gave me. I never had a full BBS with a cart, I had them till I started with the DE's.

These guys dont know what they're missing, we know :001_cool:

Me too,

i had had a great conversation with an elderly gent today who has been using a DE all his life. I got to share with him where to find good blades, he had been buying Dollar General dorco blades for several years. I also shared where he could find some good shave soap.
others in hearing looked at us like we were crazy.

oh well let them suffer we know better now!

I have had some odd reactions too. The only person that actually thought it was interesting was a guy I work with who works as a barber part time on the side.

I can relate. When I started a class at my new gym the instructor asked us to tell the class who we were and something interesting about ourselves. I came very close to saying shaving with a DE is one of my hobbies and I hope to start learning to shave with a straight soon.

Pffff I wear it right on my sleeve. I'll get them to understand by giving all my closest friends a flare tip, some Arko, and a cheap boar for Christmas.

They call you insane? They call me Bruce. Sorry...
After hectoring guys at work, and family members about the joys of DE/wet shaving/what have you, and bragging about my ritual, razors, blades and lathering technique, I figure the best way to impress is to look your best. Clean shaven, even on weekends. A nice aftershave. Well combed hair with a good sprinkling of tonic. The proof, as they say, is in the pudding.

I was talking with my youngest nephew the other day he's 22. I told him one day when he was ready I'd teach him about the finer art of shaving and sent him a pic of my shave of the day. He said he'd been wanting to switch to a safety razor for awhile but the initial expense was more than he could afford for now. I told him well the holidays are approaching and we'll see what Santa can do to help. I've already started ordering his setup [emoji3]

I gave up trying to recruit anybody a long time ago.

Most people that know me know I have this strange hobby lifestyle obsession with wet-shaving, but unless they initiate the conversation, I don't say a word. If they ask me any questions, though, they better be ready for an earful.

The few times I have explained my DE shaving to my friends, I have been met with bemused semi-respect: "Oh, well, he's happy, and his face looks good." It's when I tell them that my favorite Italian shaving soap is Tcheon Fung Sing that the peals of laughter begin, and I hear the muttered word "Insane…"

People think I'm crazy for liking shaving so much. Lol. They don't understand. They say "it's only shaving" lol. If only they knew.....

Everytime when I start to talk about this hobby with someone they really keep looking at me as if I'm speaking a different language. I even showed a guy some pictures of my DE razors on my mobilephone (seriously), when he saw the razor he told me "you are crazy, the blade looks so dangerous". I was like LOL Even with the most agressive razor (Roedter 1909 equipped with a Feather blade) I don't get a nick, cut and or razorburns.

Oh well, if he wants to have bad shaves and pay a lot for a product that doesn't even work it's his money. Switching to DE shaving is the BEST decision I ever have made in my entire life, it's much cheaper and the shaves I get are waaaaaay better than the Fusions gave me. I never had a full BBS with a cart, I had them till I started with the DE's.

These guys dont know what they're missing, we know :001_cool:

A good definition of insanity is trying to do the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. That's why, for me, I think using a Fusion and its forerunners fits that criteria nicely. That includes canned goo and canned foam. I did that for 40 years. Boy am I glad I found alternatives!

After hectoring guys at work, and family members about the joys of DE/wet shaving/what have you, and bragging about my ritual, razors, blades and lathering technique, I figure the best way to impress is to look your best. Clean shaven, even on weekends. A nice aftershave. Well combed hair with a good sprinkling of tonic. The proof, as they say, is in the pudding.

+1

I have never received as many compliments since I began wet shaving and joined B&B. Either because I'm clean shaven, well groomed and/or smell good (aftershave, fragrance).

I certainly don't miss the neck irritation and bloody/stained collars when I was using carts & goo.

Who knows, they may be correct.:001_rolle

Yeah? So what. My mental state is my business.

I'll be crazy if I want to. The hard part is bring not crazy when I don't want to, but then happiness is wanting what you have.

Isn't it? (Do you hear them, Harvey? They're snickering at us.)

Last edited:
They call you insane? They call me Bruce. Sorry...

Bruce... brilliantly spoken!

I'm in a different boat here because of my career, as I own and operate a Men's Grooming Center & Fine Shaving Supply Store (think old-school barbershop meets modern times). Each month, I teach our Men's Shave Clinics, demonstrating to guys the art of shaving with traditional products and tools. I've held these clinics for 5 years running now, and nearly 500 men have attended my class. Each class fills up (sells out), and so at my store, it's appropriate and comfortable for guys to talk about and ask questions about shaving.

I receive numerous emails from past attendees and clients, raving about how much better their shaving experiences are now. Word of these clinics travels quickly, and so I get customers and clients coming in all the time to purchase their shaving supplies, and 'newbies' inquiring about our shave class. I think one major element about the shave classes and its popularity, is that it's not perceived as a hobby, or geeky, or an obsession kind of thing, but more like, 'this is the correct way to shave... no matter what Gillette or Schick would want you to believe about their multi-blade razors.' These men have come to realize that there is no such thing as a, "Quick-splash-some-water and shave cream-on my face-and run a Fusion razor over it-and expect wonderful, nick-free, and comfortable shaves" kind of shave.

It's wonderful that all of you out there are planting the seeds! This happens to me too, on occasion, but when those seeds start to grow and make sense in the minds of those not quickly persuaded, they'll have someone (you, me) to guide them when they're ready to give DE's or Straights a try.

Top Bottom