What's new

Calling clinical and/or child psychologists

I hear voices and they keep telling me to buy more shaving creams. Help!

Actually I was wondering if there is anybody who might be willing to have a PM or e-mail discussion regarding the field of psychology, and what the profession is like.

Background: I am currently a teacher and burnt out. I am looking for a new profession that still helps kids and keep coming back to child psychology as the place I should be. I do NOT want to be a school psychologist.

My sister just finished her bachelors in psychology. It is almost impossible to find a job without an advanced degree in the field. I wish you the best of luck.

I'm a teacher and I can understand where you are coming from. I currently work with youth I'm a psychiatric assessment and treatment program. It got me thinking about a Masters in Counselling Psychology. Worth checking out IMO

I hear voices and they keep telling me to buy more shaving creams. Help!

Actually I was wondering if there is anybody who might be willing to have a PM or e-mail discussion regarding the field of psychology, and what the profession is like.

Background: I am currently a teacher and burnt out. I am looking for a new profession that still helps kids and keep coming back to child psychology as the place I should be. I do NOT want to be a school psychologist.

If you like helping kids there aren't many better professions than a child psychologist. Out of grad school you will deal with lots of trauma, abuse, anger issues, suicidal, incest, junkie parents...for low pay until you get your license by completing the required hours and passing the exam.
You will still have to go to schools and homes to see some patients. Don't expect the parents or school staff to be helpful. They will refer and label any student, mostly boys, with attention deficit disorder just because they don't want to deal with their unruly behavior. Most of the school kids referred to your agency will be normal but will have discipline and structure issues. That's when you come in and teach the kid and parent(s) parenting and life skills. BTW being fluent in Spanish will help you land a job quicker. It can be an awarding career teaching skills and giving hope to the hopeless.

After you get your license things get better and you'll have more options.

If you like helping kids there aren't many better professions than a child psychologist. Out of grad school you will deal with lots of trauma, abuse, anger issues, suicidal, incest, junkie parents...for low pay until you get your license by completing the required hours and passing the exam.
You will still have to go to schools and homes to see some patients. Don't expect the parents or school staff to be helpful. They will refer and label any student, mostly boys, with attention deficit disorder just because they don't want to deal with their unruly behavior. Most of the school kids referred to your agency will be normal but will have discipline and structure issues. That's when you come in and teach the kid and parent(s) parenting and life skills. BTW being fluent in Spanish will help you land a job quicker. It can be an awarding career teaching skills and giving hope to the hopeless.

After you get your license things get better and you'll have more options.

I have a friend who works with all troubled kids and the burnout rate is even faster than with teachers. He had to leave the profession for a bit and eventually went back just part time. At least as teachers, you have mainly kids that are doing all right with a smattering of troubled kids. But if you only work with the troubled kids, I think it would be even more wearing.

Last edited:
Instead of child psychology, you could also look into an MSW degree with a focus on children and families.

As a Supervisor for a unit that works with kids who's parent's rights have been terminated, I'd highly recommend this approach Depending on your state, it may be a cheaper route to go educationally as well and may have many of the same pay and benefit avenues.
PM sent if you want advice on the mental health field btw.

I have a friend who works with all troubled kids and the burnout rate is even faster than with teachers. He had to leave the profession for a bit and eventually went back just part time. At least as teachers, you have mainly kids that are doing all right with a smattering of troubled kids. But if you only work with the troubled kits, I think it would be even more wearing.

It can be very rewarding saving kids from harming themselves or others and becoming future criminals. Most do it for two years until they get their hours, experience and eventually are licensed.

I would definitely talk with child psychologists and social workers to get their take on the pros/cons. Where I work, our behavioral therapists (psychologists mostly) see quite a lot of pathology.

If you are feeling burnt out, I would definitely take some time off and really think about what you feel called to do. If it is child psychology, then go for it. Just try not to make a rash decision without doing some soul-searching.

Good luck!

Top Bottom