What's new

Old guy with a new razor

Hey all. After about 25 years of on-again, off-again interest in straight razor shaving, I finally pulled the trigger and picked up a nice Dovo with a tortoiseshell handle. I've been reading articles and watching videos, but haven't managed to get my razor shave-ready yet - it's had a few hundred laps on the linen and leather sides of my strop, but apparently I don't have my technique down yet since it's not sharp enough to cut hair, either testing on my arm or some test patches of my beard.

Anyhow, I'm gonna go give it another go - looking forward to finding my groove with this and refining my technique!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Hey all. After about 25 years of on-again, off-again interest in straight razor shaving, I finally pulled the trigger and picked up a nice Dovo with a tortoiseshell handle. I've been reading articles and watching videos, but haven't managed to get my razor shave-ready yet - it's had a few hundred laps on the linen and leather sides of my strop, but apparently I don't have my technique down yet since it's not sharp enough to cut hair, either testing on my arm or some test patches of my beard.

Anyhow, I'm gonna go give it another go - looking forward to finding my groove with this and refining my technique!

Sir, a few hundreds laps stropping is really too much and it won't sharpen your razor! To get it shave ready again it needs to meet the stones and a professional honing job is highly recommended. Welcome to B&B. :001_smile

Welcome to B&B. I don't have the guts to try straight razor shaving. The closest I can get to it is Open Comb double edge.

As Marco suggested , you may need to learn how to hone or send it to get hone by a good pro.

Welcome! your razor most certainly needs to be honed. They do not typically come from the factory ready to go.

I am no expert, but am certainly able to get a good edge on my razors, you could certainly learn how to do it as well!
I would suggest getting some lapping film, or I'd be happy to hone it for you if you like.

Welcome! your razor most certainly needs to be honed. They do not typically come from the factory ready to go.

I am no expert, but am certainly able to get a good edge on my razors, you could certainly learn how to do it as well!
I would suggest getting some lapping film, or I'd be happy to hone it for you if you like.

There you go.

Probably wasn't sharpened by the vendor.

Welcome aboard, lots of information, support, and opinions here, lot's of straight shavers around these parts...:w00t:

Top Bottom