What's new

BBS-1 #28 here with photos and comparisons to Above the Tie

So like many others on this site I was able to order an LA Shaving Soap Co. BBS-1 Razor. It made it from CA to NY in 2 days. The razor does require a signature for delivery so like everyone else I was greeted with the Pink Tag of Doom from the USPS. I went to the post office to pick it up and was informed the mailman was still out doing deliveries. I drove around my area until I spotted him. Here I will keep a mini blog about the razor.

Initial Impressions:

Handle Design:
The handle is very slightly thicker and heavier then the ATT Kronos and very similar length. From the pictures I didn't think the handle was super pleasing aesthetically. In person and using it I feel differently. The knurling is a genius design and feels more grippy then the ATT knurling. I actually really like the knurling.

Head Design:
The head has a unique way of holding the blade. It holds it on the four corners. Again a great design. It is the most secure way I have seen a razor hold the blade. There is really no play for misalignment and has less slop then the ATT. One thing is the edge of the blade sticks out the side more than I have seen any other razor. It is quite a bit. I know that does bother some people. Also the blade come out kind of in the middle of the razor head. Normally the blade is pushed down by the top cap and sits against the top cap. The blade really sits in between the top and bottom cap on the BBS-1. The blade also is very flat without much curve so it likes a shallower angle.

Quality:
Obviously a finely machined piece. If you want to get super picky the ATT is a higher quality. The ATT has perfectly chamfered corners and edges. The threaded post on the ATT is rounded for easy alignment of the handle. The thread post end on the BBS is slightly squarer. The BBS is slightly more jagged in feel while the ATT is smoother and feels more refined. Really that is getting super specific though.

Above the Tie Kronos Handle:
Length: 3.5" (88.9mm)
Diameter: 0.5" (12.7mm)
Weight: 72g

Above the Tie Colossus Handle:
Length: 4.0" (101.6mm)
Diameter: 0.5" (12.7mm)
Weight: 85g

BBS-1 Handle:
Length: 3.512"(89.2mm)
Diameter: 0.551" (14mm)
Weight: 88g

As you can see the BBS-1 handle is practically the same length as the Kronos but weighs more than the Colossus because of the thicker diameter.

Summary:
Handle Length: Tie, they are practically the same
Handle Diameter: ATT (I prefer the slightly narrower diameter of the ATT)
Handle Weight: ATT (I prefer the slightly lighter weight of the ATT)
Knurling: BBS-1, it has more grip and is unique.
Ease of loading a blade: Tie, they both have little quirks
Least movement of blade for misalignment: BBS-1
Blade held the securest with least flex: BBS-1
Most noise: ATT (If you like that. I feel the noise in the ATT is from the less secure clamping)
Overall Finish: ATT

Shave:

First Shave:
I used all my usual gear for soap, blade and brush and only changed the razor from my daily shave to limit variables. I loaded a personna red and got ready to shave. First pass was with the grain. Next pass XTG. Third pass ATG. Due to large gap and small exposure the angle range is smaller then other razors. The razor is very mild and smooth. It reminded me of the feel of a cartridge in a good way. Quality of shave was very good in a unique way. Due to how forgiving the razor is really allowed me to go against the grain easily which is what led to a better shave. Sometimes against the grain can get uncomfortable in certain areas but not with the BBS. I could go sideways across my neck to get all the stubble. Aftershave sting was typical/normal for a shave even though the shave itself felt very mild.

Second Shave:
This time I wanted to compare it to the ATT M1 as the first shave with the BBS-1 reminded me of the ATT M1. So I loaded up a personna red in my M1 and BBS-1 for a comparison shave. I used both during the shave and switched back and forth. After shave number two here is how they compare. The ATT M1 is slightly more mild in beard reduction. The BBS-1 shaves closer. The BBS-1 is also more smooth then the ATT M1. Less tugging and discomfort from what I believe is the more secure mounting of the blade leading to a more firm blade cutting the hair. Similar to the benefits that slants have by torquing the blade or injectors and single edge blades have from the added stiffness.

My overall opinion so far:
The BBS-1 is a great razor. After two uses I can see the thought and time that went into designing this razor. The knurling is one of the best. Beautiful handle. The head design is unique for a modern razor and super secure and precise. Overall everything is just really great. I may prefer a slightly more aggressive version (BBS-2?) but only two shaves in I can't make that call just yet.

Pictures coming in the second post. Any questions feel free to ask.

Last edited:
Thanks for the great review and comparison , hopefully mine will be at the house when I get back in town

Some pictures showing what I was talking about.

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1414181449743.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1414181449743.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 595
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1414181466189.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1414181466189.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 587
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1414181479408.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1414181479408.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 583
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1414181489581.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1414181489581.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 586
"So like many others on this site I was able to order an LA Shaving Soap Co. BBS-1 Razor. It made it from CA to NY in 2 days. The razor does require a signature for delivery so like everyone else I was greeted with the Pink Tag of Doom from the USPS. I went to the post office to pick it up and was informed the mailman was still out doing deliveries. I drove around my area until I spotted him. Here I will keep a mini blog about the razor."

I thought I was the only one crazy enough to chase the mail person around looking for a package I was anxious to get. Have done it 3 or 4 times and found him every time...joy!!!!!!! Have solved this problem with the regular carrier by pre-signing several 'pink tags of doom' which he keeps on the mail truck with him. When he runs out he gives me more. That way he leaves the package as opposed to me having to run after him or going next day to the post office. I am sure this is against all kinds of policies and regulations but it works between us. I also generously load up his Christmas card. He routinely exceeds my expectations, is a great guy and takes an interest in my hobbies. It is not only with razors. This does not work with the relief person. We also have a few other contingent policies involving watchful SWMBO's. Can never have too good a relationship with one's postman.

"So like many others on this site I was able to order an LA Shaving Soap Co. BBS-1 Razor. It made it from CA to NY in 2 days. The razor does require a signature for delivery so like everyone else I was greeted with the Pink Tag of Doom from the USPS. I went to the post office to pick it up and was informed the mailman was still out doing deliveries. I drove around my area until I spotted him. Here I will keep a mini blog about the razor."

I thought I was the only one crazy enough to chase the mail person around looking for a package I was anxious to get. Have done it 3 or 4 times and found him every time...joy!!!!!!! Have solved this problem with the regular carrier by pre-signing several 'pink tags of doom' which he keeps on the mail truck with him. When he runs out he gives me more. That way he leaves the package as opposed to me having to run after him or going next day to the post office. I am sure this is against all kinds of policies and regulations but it works between us. I also generously load up his Christmas card. He routinely exceeds my expectations, is a great guy and takes an interest in my hobbies. It is not only with razors. This does not work with the relief person. We also have a few other contingent policies involving watchful SWMBO's. Can never have too good a relationship with one's postman.

I've been a mail carrier for almost 26 years, while I don't have any relationships like yours, there's nothing wrong with presigning a slip for a package. If you presign for a package and something happens to the package, the liability is on you! Usually my customers chase me down for checks, but I don't get that often. A carrier in my office has a stack of signed slips for the customers on his route.

my mail person is a lady, and a mean ol bitty who smokes like a chimney and makes my mail and packages smell like the smoke. she lays on the horn when i have to sign for something and she looks so mad everytime she has to drive down my driveway. if stuff is to big to fit in my mailbox she will put it in a walmart bag and hang it off my flag. she actually left a laptop out there on a cloudy day, and luckily i got it before it started raining that day. i cant wait till she retires and i get a more pleasant mail person. ive thought about complaining about her, but im sure that would just bite me in butt, and then make more headaches for myself. luckily you have a great relationship with your mailman, and i would agreed, keeping him happy, will keep you happy!

my mail person is a lady, and a mean ol bitty who smokes like a chimney and makes my mail and packages smell like the smoke. she lays on the horn when i have to sign for something and she looks so mad everytime she has to drive down my driveway. if stuff is to big to fit in my mailbox she will put it in a walmart bag and hang it off my flag. she actually left a laptop out there on a cloudy day, and luckily i got it before it started raining that day. i cant wait till she retires and i get a more pleasant mail person. ive thought about complaining about her, but im sure that would just bite me in butt, and then make more headaches for myself. luckily you have a great relationship with your mailman, and i would agreed, keeping him happy, will keep you happy!

The service you recieve is unexceptable! I'm not trying to get a fellow worker in trouble, but you can complain and Postal management in your area should do something about it. We have to come to your door and attempt packages and are not allowed to leave packages hanging from the mailbox. If you allow it, then it's your fault!

Good photo of the blade angle. It looks like about a 40 degree cutting angle ... which is I think a bit steeper than the ~30 degree average.

EDIT:
nuclearblast's photo pegs it at about 36 degrees....

The BBS-1 Doesn't have enough blade exposure to allow steep angles and in fact it seems like its effective shaving angle range is limited, allowing shallow angles only, the cutting angle is 35,52 degrees according to my measurement:

View attachment 511208

And finally an example of a razor that will only allow shallow angles, and its cutting angle is 26.96 degrees. Gillette English Goodwill. In general all NEWs prefer a very shallow angle, and in fact you have no choice.

View attachment 511219

Last edited:
Shave 3 was best yet. Super smooth feeling and no nicks or weepers. The angle range is narrow so while a great shave there are areas with micro stubble from the wrong angle. Very forgiving razor. Even though I prefer more aggressive razors this might be my favorite I own.

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
My nephew just got a BBS and his first 2 shaves are the best he's ever had. I can't wait to get my hands on the BBS.

I love the knurling. I am very tempted but am holding off to see if an OC version appears...
I'm far from a reliable source, but I think the next project will be a slant, and John indicated to me even that was just a slight inkling. It may be a long wait for an OC.

I love the stock handle. I'm waiting till my finances improve. (Might take longer than the OC...)

Last edited:
I'm far from a reliable source, but I think the next project will be a slant, and John indicated to me even that was just a slight inkling. It may be a long wait for an OC.

OH NO my friend…. now you've got me wanting to wait for the slant. I LOVE slants!!! I'm a slant fanatic!!! :thumbup: :lol:

Will the solid bar be a limited run? I can't see moving onto another project before he meets the demand of this one.

Will the solid bar be a limited run? I can't see moving onto another project before he meets the demand of this one.

Again, please don't confuse me with someone who knows anything, but I don't think production of the BBS-1 is going to be stopped in the foreseeable future. John had told me, at least as of a couple months ago, that he intended it to be a regular production item.

Also, in regards to a possible slant, John did indicate that it was an interest for him, but he was speaking far, far in the future. From my conversation with him, I had absolutely no indication that he has even begun a design. He just mentioned it as something he might be interested in doing someday.

I would like to remain on good terms with John, so if you all run out and tell him that "chamm said that you'd have a slant by Christmas!" he'll never answer another email from me again! :lol:

I would like to remain on good terms with John, so if you all run out and tell him that "chamm said that you'd have a slant by Christmas!" he'll never answer another email from me again! :lol:

WHAT!?!?!? Hey, you told me he'd have it ready by Thanksgiving!!!!! :lol: :w00t:

Top Bottom