What's new

Newbie from San Diego Check-In w/ Photo

My first post on B&B! Just a newbie check in/experience share.

I've been lurking here for a while taking it all in. E.g.: reading the wiki and the forums on what I can, before I post the same question that's been answered a million times. :D Yeah, it's not my first rodeo, er forum.

For a really long time I wanted a straight razor. However when I saw the costs of a new fixed straight razor/fancy brushes/creams/bowls combined with "will I even like it? or will I suck at it?" always detoured me. After reading about the diff kinds of shaving online it seemed like a lot of people recommended starting with a double edged safety razor. So I went to shave nation and built a little kit with a DE Merkur 34C instead, moderately priced badger brush, TOBS sandalwood cream, a sampler blade pack, and some old bowls that cost nothing. Shortly after got some pre & post stuff. Here's my initial setup that didn't cost too much compared to what I was initially thinking …

$IMG_2536.jpg

I've been DE shaving for a couple months now, and I FRICKEN LOVE IT! It's a ritual. Feels so much better then a stupid piece of plastic in my hand that costs a ton more to replace the blades. Blades are like 10-25 cents a piece now. The shave I get is much closer and I can feel/hear it cutting my beard closely instead of a bunch of blades yanking at the hair. It's a different beast. I do two passes pretty much every morning. So far I like the Feather Blades or Astra Platinum. Last me at least half a week without stropping, and I shave pretty much my entire head.

I just recently got a shavette style for my birthday, so once I get used to this DE for a while, I'll try my hand (no pun intended) at that. Now I'm starting to build a travel-only set. It's a slippery slope! So much for saving money, haha.

Welcome to the Forum; enjoy your time here. Enter your data in the Hall of Fame Section if so inclined and check out the Shave Wiki Section for tips on getting started, gear, etc. You made some excellent choices for your "starter" gear. I am curious as to how you are using the Glenlivet. Are you applying that internally or externally? :001_smile

Welcome to B&B!

Looks like you are off to a great start!

I haven't ventured down the straight path, but I know they have a dedicated sub-forum here for those discussions.

Welcome to the Forum; enjoy your time here. Enter your data in the Hall of Fame Section if so inclined and check out the Shave Wiki Section for tips on getting started, gear, etc. You made some excellent choices for your "starter" gear. I am curious as to how you are using the Glenlivet. Are you applying that internally or externally? :001_smile

Thanks! Just starting to fill out my profile now even though I signed up/lurked for a couple months. Not even sure what the hall of fame section is quite yet. But I do have the wiki and the forums to thank for making those excellent choices on the "starter" gear. That and youtube.

As far as the Glenlivet 12. Internally of course! That would be a bit of an expensive pre-shave and perhaps a waste of some single malt ? Up to interpretation I guess.

Glenlivet as an aftershave?

First thing I noticed...I was guessing pre-shave.

Welcome!

I knew someone would say something about that :D.

"The Accountant" got it at the end there. It's applied internally during the shave. It just adds to the experience! Sure, it may not SOUND like a good idea, putting a blade to your face and drinking alcohol. But it's nice and warming, and it makes me feel even more like a real man's man, lol. Truthfully, I only did that once. It's not like I was getting drunk. Just one neat pour slowly sipped. It was on the weekend. I was going out on the town for the night with a fresh shave. That whole day kind of sucked, I was in a foul mood, and I didn't want my foul mood to spoil my fun of shaving. Some single malt whisky did the trick.

Thanks for all the welcomes!

I knew someone would say something about that :D.

"Internally": That whole day kind of sucked, I was in a foul mood, and I didn't want my foul mood to spoil my fun of shaving. Some single malt whisky did the trick.

Thanks for all the welcomes!

That's exactly what I meant by "pre-shave"!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Sir, this is exactly the right enthusiasm we want to see here on B&B! Congrats and welcome aboard!

Welcome to the B & B forum Mike! Lots of shavers here with years of experience they are willing to share. I know you will enjoy the free exchange of information!

Top Bottom