What's new

Help identifying hone

I pick stones up when I see them. I prefer natural hones, so that is what I try to find when I am looking.
I have always used some sort of Arkansas stone when sharpening knives and chisels, and with good luck.

You can see the stones I generally use to hone my razors on the bottom of the picture. I use either the greyish stone or the white one for rough work (unless it is really rough, then I go to a Norton stone not in this picture). I finish with the red barber hone and sometimes with that tiny little transulcent Arkansas.

I recently picked up the two stones that are in wood blocks. The whitish yellow one was jet black when I got it, and I was really hopeful that it might be a surgical black. Once I started dressing the belly out of it, it became clear that it was not black at all, just really really dirty (I didn't clean any of the other sides, so you can still see what I mean).
So, what is this stone? It seems to be a natural stone, it has imperfections that are clearly visible, and it seems to be a bit softer than my soft Arkansas on the left of the picture. I haven't used it much at this point because I frankly don't know what it is. Should I use oil, as per my usual methods, or use water and try to make a slurrly or something (note that I have actually never done the slurry thing and don't know what I would use to actually start the process).

The awesome news is that that small black stone came in the same box, without the wood block, and it does seem to be a black arkansas, so all is not bust. Plus, I gave six bucks for a whole box of hones and two of them were chipped up but respectable barber hones. The rest were carborundum (or whatever you call the coarse cheapo stones I might use to sharpen an ax with).

Attachments

• $20141024_131009.jpg
    $20141024_131009.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 129
I guess the dirty edges of the stone in question are not really visible in the picture, but trust me. It is jet black everywhere except the surface I leveled.

It looks like a hindostan hone to me. I have one about the same size and color as yours. A pic from the side would help in id ing an hindostan.

I might see why you wanted to see the side. There are faint sedementary layer lines in the side. I don't know if you can see those in the pictures, but i tried to get them.

So what does this mean? If it is a hindostan stone, is that good or bad. It does seem to pretty soft. I knocked all the black off using my belt sander, and I don't think it affected the belt in the slightest.

That dark spot on the side seems to be in the stone and not just gunk that I failed to remove.

You can also see the belly in the stone from the side. I actually just flipped the stone over in the wood block when I surfaced it. The bottom required much less work than the top to get flat, and I wasn't interested in grinding all of the stone away to make the other side flat too.

Attachments

• $20141024_173342.jpg
    $20141024_173342.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 115
  • $20141024_173334.jpg
    $20141024_173334.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 113
Interestingly, I did buy this stone in Indiana. It seems that is where the hindostan stone was quaried.
I've read that it was quaried in Orange County, but I bought it in Fountain County. I'll have to look and see where Orange county is.

I'm pretty sure it's a hindostan. I'ts probably a good midrange hone. Hopefully others can chime in. I haven't used mine too much.
I was thinking mine would be a good one before going to a SB Ark. Haven't done that yet still trying to figure out my Belgian hone.

Yeah, that's a hindostan. What are the dimensions on the one on the right. It could be a 1x5" Thuri. Try cleaning the oil off it and taking some closer pics.

The stone on the right, the one in the maple block is dry. I wiped all the oil off before taking the picture.
I sanded the top flat with 220 paper, and finished sanding it with 800.

It produced a grayish dust, but wipes off black with just the oil from my fingers. I only resurfaces one side. The other sides are glazed up and shiny.
I have high hopes for this little stone. It seems like it could be a nice one. It does seem to be about 1 by 5 though. I'll look up Thuri.

I had doubts that any were nice stones because of the way they were thrown into the box, but they were cheap enough to take a chance.

I used the possible hindostan stone tonight.
It seems to be a decent hone. It isn't a finishing stone, but finer than the Arkansas on the left of that picture.

I finished with that little black stone. I think these two stones might be my new favorite hones for awhile. I'd like the hindostan to be finer, but it's a nice sized stone and that makes up for the not being finer. Plus, I wonder if it will smooth up more from a little use. I used safflower oil with the stones, because I have it and petrolleum products have begun to cause a reaction on my skin (too much exposure in my past).

I went ahead and used the redish barber hone between the two new stones, but I don't think it was necessary. I mostly like the barber stone for it's size as well, although it does seem to be a very good one.

Someday I'm going to just drop a bunch of money and buy some big hones.

Thanks for helping with the i.d.

Top Bottom