What's new

Newly Converted - Thank You!

Alright guys, quick back story first.

I am 24 years old and like all guys my age have been brought up on the 3, then 4, then 5 blade cartridges for as long as I can remember.

No matter what cartridge I used I never got a good shave, rash/burning/neck lumps/ingrown hairs/acne etc - if I used disposables it always dragged, fusion cartridges gave a very close shave but ended up irritating my neck and causing ingrowns (and emptying my pocket) shaving gels and foams were always a bit patchy (thicker in some spots, or they slid off my face and always smelt chemically or dried my face out).

Anyway to cut a long story short I stumbled across an article on Art of Manliness on DE shaving, I had no idea what I was, and my only knowledge of shaving without cartridges was seeing my grandfather on my mums side lathering up with a brush when I was younger and seeing straight edge razors in the barbers.

Anyway after a good browse on the internet following the AoM article I came across this forum and then found Mantic59s videos, at this point I was very skeptical but willing to try anything - no matter what I did I always ended up with a messed up neck!

I must have spent a good afternoon or two watching clips, trawling the reviews and browsing the newbie forum on here, so I decided to take the plunge and buy the following:

- Wilkinson Sword DE Razor w/ 5 blades
- 10x Merkur Platinum Blades
- Proraso Ultra Sensitive Shave Soap
- Omega 49 Brush
- Nivea Sensitive Aftershave
- Shower Mirror + Suction Hook (I live in a shared house so do not have a good sink/mirror)

Anyways to wrap up this already too long post my experiences of the last 3 weeks have been fantastic - I am currently doing 1 pass a day to learn the techniques and have had no ingrowns, burning or shaving rash - the only cut was from using a slightly blunt blade and pressure.

I can shower and shave in 15 mins, the kit travels easily (unless flying), and takes up little room in a shared bathroom, I can recycle all my blades and easily rinse and dry my brush out. The Proraso has been amazing stuff, leaves my face cool and fresh and creates a great lather on my face.

The Wilkinson Sword is a basic razor but the weight of the handle makes it easy to use and discourages any pressure, I go for a gentle reduction and can touch up with lather if needed. Both the Wilkinson/Merkurs seem mild but are great for a newbie like myself.

The Nivea Sensitive it amazing stuff, I can get greasy and sensitive skin but it forms a great finish and just seems to sink in leaving my face feeling fresh.

I found in the past if I shaved and then went outside in hot/cold weather my face would itch and burn, whereas now I just feel great.

Thanks to all the users here for the great input, I very rarely use forums but have gone from dreading shaving to actually enjoying the ritual on a daily basis, just feel ready to go afterwards if that makes sense at all!

Cheers :thumbup1: :biggrin1:

Ed

Hello and welcome to B&B, Ed. This is a super forum full of friendly, helpful shavers. You will learn a lot here.

Thanks for the long post and so glad that you joined this band of shavers.

Hello and welcome to the forum. I highly, maybe strongly is a better word, recommend the How To Grow A Moustache (HTGAM) synergy soaps. I love their "The Beach" scent. I also use their preshave soap but its not required. This is the best stuff I've come across. Though I've only been wet shaving for a few months, I have experimented tons. "The Beach" is a Razorock/HTGAM collaboration and Razorock makes some awesome stuff as well. Glad to see another convert.

Welcome to B&B!

Looks like you are doing great and enjoying the shaving experience! I never thought I would say that about shaving, but folks here know what that means. :thumbup1:

Thank you for the warm welcome and product recommendations Omega! - much appreciated.

Regards

Ed

Welcome to the forum, Ed! You are a very intelligent young man and you have a long and wonderful journey ahead of you! :thumbup:

Welcome to the B & B forum Ed! Lots of shavers here with years of experience they are willing to share. I know you will enjoy the free exchange of information!

Alright guys, quick back story first.

I am 24 years old and like all guys my age have been brought up on the 3, then 4, then 5 blade cartridges for as long as I can remember.

No matter what cartridge I used I never got a good shave, rash/burning/neck lumps/ingrown hairs/acne etc - if I used disposables it always dragged, fusion cartridges gave a very close shave but ended up irritating my neck and causing ingrowns (and emptying my pocket) shaving gels and foams were always a bit patchy (thicker in some spots, or they slid off my face and always smelt chemically or dried my face out).

Anyway to cut a long story short I stumbled across an article on Art of Manliness on DE shaving, I had no idea what I was, and my only knowledge of shaving without cartridges was seeing my grandfather on my mums side lathering up with a brush when I was younger and seeing straight edge razors in the barbers.

Anyway after a good browse on the internet following the AoM article I came across this forum and then found Mantic59s videos, at this point I was very skeptical but willing to try anything - no matter what I did I always ended up with a messed up neck!

I must have spent a good afternoon or two watching clips, trawling the reviews and browsing the newbie forum on here, so I decided to take the plunge and buy the following:

- Wilkinson Sword DE Razor w/ 5 blades
- 10x Merkur Platinum Blades
- Proraso Ultra Sensitive Shave Soap
- Omega 49 Brush
- Nivea Sensitive Aftershave
- Shower Mirror + Suction Hook (I live in a shared house so do not have a good sink/mirror)

Anyways to wrap up this already too long post my experiences of the last 3 weeks have been fantastic - I am currently doing 1 pass a day to learn the techniques and have had no ingrowns, burning or shaving rash - the only cut was from using a slightly blunt blade and pressure.

I can shower and shave in 15 mins, the kit travels easily (unless flying), and takes up little room in a shared bathroom, I can recycle all my blades and easily rinse and dry my brush out. The Proraso has been amazing stuff, leaves my face cool and fresh and creates a great lather on my face.

The Wilkinson Sword is a basic razor but the weight of the handle makes it easy to use and discourages any pressure, I go for a gentle reduction and can touch up with lather if needed. Both the Wilkinson/Merkurs seem mild but are great for a newbie like myself.

The Nivea Sensitive it amazing stuff, I can get greasy and sensitive skin but it forms a great finish and just seems to sink in leaving my face feeling fresh.

I found in the past if I shaved and then went outside in hot/cold weather my face would itch and burn, whereas now I just feel great.

Thanks to all the users here for the great input, I very rarely use forums but have gone from dreading shaving to actually enjoying the ritual on a daily basis, just feel ready to go afterwards if that makes sense at all!

Cheers :thumbup1: :biggrin1:

Ed

So Ed, when do you think your ready to do a 2 pass?

Thank you guys!

Celestino - you are far too kind :)

Alex - Probably tomorrow, I usually do 1 pass a day as I am currently studying so do not need to be BBS! - am at home on reading break at the moment so will give it a go in the sink tomorrow, just doing WTG 1x a day currently!

Thanks again gents :thumbup1:

Thank you guys!

Celestino - you are far too kind :)

Alex - Probably tomorrow, I usually do 1 pass a day as I am currently studying so do not need to be BBS! - am at home on reading break at the moment so will give it a go in the sink tomorrow, just doing WTG 1x a day currently!

Thanks again gents [emoji106]1:
Keep us updated if you do[emoji3]

Welcome to B&B Ed! And unfortunately, welcome to the sensitive skin club too. If the Proraso is working for you that is fantastic, and if you want to explore other options as we all seem to end up doing you might want to consider Razorocks line of sensitive skin soaps. They have worked wonders for me.

Top Bottom