What's new

Parker 51 Hood removal

Hello, gentlemen. I hope you are all well.

My first inquiry, here. I am trying to remove/loosen the hoods of a Parker 51 and a Special 51. I have tried using a blow-dryer for quite a few minutes to weaken the shellac on both pens and have immersed the bottom portion of the pens in hot water for quite awhile, but I am getting no movement with the hoods. The sacs, on the other hand, have easily come undone! :blush:
I have watched a few YouTube videos for assistance, but they seem to presume that everyone should easily be able to remove the hoods this way. I must be special, then, as I can't seem to accomplish this simple task! :biggrin1:
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Even though I still have a couple, I'm not a big "51" user. With that said, I am wondering why you want to remove them, I've usually been able to remedy feed and ink flow issues by soaking with the hood attached.

I hope brianw comes along soon. :laugh:

Thanks, Doug.
I just wanted to clean them thoroughly as I found one nib to possibly have a bit of issue with ink flow and I had thought it would be an easy endeavour! :blink:
I will contact Brian if I don't get other suggestions. :blush:

Not necessarily a easy endeavor. If the hair dryer or the extremely hot water has not done the trick, it's possible that somebody had the hood off previously and used something other then shellac.... I have cracked a number of hoods that way.

If neither one of these worked I would suggest to stop or send the pen to a restorer

Not necessarily a easy endeavor. If the hair dryer or the extremely hot water has not done the trick, it's possible that somebody had the hood off previously and used something other then shellac.... I have cracked a number of hoods that way.

If neither one of these worked I would suggest to stop or send the pen to a restorer

Thanks, Brian. I had thought I should do this and I just wanted confirmation!

Top Bottom