What's new

Why do I care all of a sudden?

Since I started shaving with quality tools and software I find that I care much more about my appearance and toiletries in general.

I find my self wanting deodorant that is not just whatever is cheapest at Costco.

Clothes and even watches.

All because of the gift of a nice shaving cream.

What do they put in that stuff?

I had that same epiphany as well. Life is too short to settle for less, that's what I amount it to. And this place certainly kick-starts that mentality if you don't already have it!

I'm with ya bro! I've found a certain sense of sophistication in traditional DE shaving, something that takes time and seems so much more gentlemanly than an instant gratification society. That sense of sophistication started affecting other things, and before you know it I'm using cologne (that I had for years and never used), taking care to have a cleaner/professional appearance, and testing out fountain pens. In some ways, I feel like a grown up now. The advent of becoming a father a few months ago might have also had something to do with the mentality change.

I've generally had to dress nicer than everyone else because I had a beard. Since I shaved, someone said I looked 18, so I'm trying to learn good posture, etc so that I can look impressive.

I feel ya! And the toiletries that I do use now are more of the classic variety and more gentlemanly. Not this modern MTV-age body sprays and what not.

GQ has a secret formula that they put in shave creams. Makes you get excited about grooming and dress.

Nothing wrong with any of this... It's a great thing to look and feel your best! I'm not a vain person, shaving and keeping tidy every day is just really really enjoyable for me. It's just a very nice thing.

I am cheap. Really cheap. I don't like spending money on myself. This wet shaving hobby of mine is one of the few areas that I splurge on myself (and I still TRY to do it as inexpensively as possible).

I think that this is a form of self-care. It's saying to yourself that you are worth the time & energy it takes to get this done. Personal grooming is a mundane task, it's something we all need to do but also something we take for granted. If grooming makes us feel good then our overall self-esteem rises. It's certainly one reason why women, in general, spend so much time grooming. It makes us look good and that in turn makes us feel good.

The other upside to this, a well-kept man is very appealing :thumbup1:

I have to say, I've had this experience myself. My DE adventure started a little under a year ago (holy jones, it's almost a year already!). I never used aftershave before this started, and I started my aftershave adventure with Nivea Sensitive. I've since added four more aftershaves (2xFine, 2xCaptain's Choice) to my rotation. And, now it looks like I'll be retiring the Fine AS's for the winter.

After I shave, I brush my teeth and brush my hair -- despite it being later in the evening and this being the official sign that my day winding down. It just doesn't feel right to leave the bathroom after shaving without doing that, no matter how much (or how little) I have left to do that day inside my home.

Amazing how investing a little in oneself yields dividends one wasn't expecting, isn't it?

Good fountain pens led to Swiss mechanical watches led to custom guitars led to my return to DE shaving, but this time with high end razors. Ten years ago I would have thought high end razor to be an oxymoron. I think once you get into quality and hand made it is a natural thing to do. But you are right about the grooming, I am buying natural hand made soaps and I would have been embarrassed to admit that a few years ago!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Birds of a feather are flocking together, and it's hard to stay on the ground like a turkey when you are surrounded by eagles.

I find myself taking a shower once a week whether I need it or not.:biggrin:

You need it, Joe, you need it.

:lol:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
The capacity to care was always there, we just awakened it in you.

And, in the words of Marcellus Wallace, we ain't through with you by a damn sight.

Right there with you. I've always liked nice watches but I feel the need to dress better and have a newfound interest in colognes and whatnot now. By the way if you find any good quality, great smelling deodorants please let me know.

For me it came at the tail end of several years where I was upgrading my wardrobe and caring about clothing. I work in a casual office but I started wearing sport jackets and nice shoes regularly. I would wear suits to nicer functions where most people just wore the usual navy blazer. I started getting my suits tailored so that they would fit me better. And I threw out the older ones that were too sloppy looking. I always liked to be clean shaven but it was a chore to be done with. Reading about traditional clothing and good shoes brought me to this forum. And as we all know $xxxxxxxx and umpteen razors later...

Top Bottom