What's new

Muhle DE Blades

I find Muhle DE razors to do well in the fit & finish department. They also have weight and balance which seems to suit me. Has anyone tried the Muhle DE Blades they now show on their website? They apparently only offer them in batches of 200. At $87.50 they're not cheap.

At one time the Germans had a great reputation with edged products, but you don't see outstanding ratings for Merkur blades. Are these Muhles worth a shot and if so is there anyplace to buy a dispenser of 5 or 10?

Ron I

I didn't realize Mühle makes blades and my observations are the same as yours; there seem to be more complaints than compliments about the ones from Merkur.

For what it's worth, my Henckel knives are excellent.

10/10 for their R41 razor. It is a gem, and the only razor I use.
But I see no reason to spend more than 10¢ per blade for this fabulous tool, since with good technique it will deliver a perfect outcome almost regardless of blade (within reason!). They're selling a razor that gives us no reason to spend the big bucks on their blades.
So YES to the razor, and SEE YA to the blades.

There was some speculation that the blades were probably made by Personna. Even if these were done in Russia, it would be hard to convince someone to fork over that much for a tuck of ten.

Germans make the worse blades. Merkurs are horrible, and Cromas are even worse. I'm not a fan. :mad3:

Just ended day 6 with a Merkur blade. German blades work surprisingly well for me. German Wilkinsons have become one of my top current production blades.

I find Muhle DE razors to do well in the fit & finish department. They also have weight and balance which seems to suit me. Has anyone tried the Muhle DE Blades they now show on their website? They apparently only offer them in batches of 200. At $87.50 they're not cheap.

At one time the Germans had a great reputation with edged products, but you don't see outstanding ratings for Merkur blades. Are these Muhles worth a shot and if so is there anyplace to buy a dispenser of 5 or 10?

Ron I

I got one with my R89 and it was the first blade I used with the razor.

I found the blade perfectly fine. Middling sharpness and smoothness. Notr as sharp as a Feather, but not far off from an Astra SP.

They do have the word "RASURKULTUR" stamped on them, which is kind of cool. Their most distinctive attribute is their packaging. They are no different from "cheap" blades, but they look anything but cheap.

The word on them is that they are made by Personna, but that doesn't mean they are just rebrands. Personna makes a wide range of blades, including scalpels, so theoretically Personna could tailor any product to Muhle's specs.

Having said that, there doesn't seem to be any compelling reason to buy them other than handsome, minimalist packaging.

They are awfully pricey. I think they are pitched to the folks who buy a Muhle and want blades that will match the razor in style and design. Through the packaging and branding, Muhle is making a bid for DE shaving not as a "cheaper" alternative to cartridges, but a high-end lifestyle experience.

I'm sure that many folks will pick up these blades along with the razor and Muhle brush and soap and be very satisfied.

They apparently only offer them in batches of 200. At $87.50 they're not cheap.

Ron I

At that price they need to be more than Ok. They need to be spectacular. Otherwise why not buy one of the many Russian, Indian, Japanese, or American blades that are much cheaper? In fact at over 40 cents a blade, you're getting close to Ebay pricing for vintage blades.

Tested the Muhle blade last night. Reference blade: Feather. Stubble type: thick. The shave: the Muhle is somewhat sharp but caused significant pulling/dragging/skipping. Post-shave: not as close or comfortable as with Feather. Having experience with a good number of blades [including labels from Personna, current Gillette, Wilkinson, etc], no blade, for me, cuts as close while still providing acceptable intra/post shave characteristics, as the Feather, save for the no longer produced Gillette "Swedes" [sigh].

Last edited:
I find the Muhle blade to give a decent shave. I've used them in a R41, Fatip Grande, and Super Speed.

Shaving.ie has the best prices.

As they are made by Personna and - for me - feel exactly like the Personna Platinums there is no need - again: for me - to spend that much money on blades. Decent blades, yes. But fairly overpriced.
Though I like the packaging.

I have tried them on Merkur 34C they gave me great shave every day. Today was my fifth shave on a blade, it is still sharp and smooth. I’ll keep going with one and see if it justifies the price. I’m a daily shaver. This per has been surprisingly great. This Merkur 34C is truly an amazing razor.

The Muhle is my favourite blade. They are made by Personna but to Muhle's specification. I find the performance similar to Gillette 7 o'clock super stainless blades except where the 7 o'clock is smooth on the first shave and starts to feel a little second-hand by the third shave, the Muhle is duller than the 7 o'clock on the first shave but improves with more use. I generally won't use a blade past the third shave but the Muhle is just getting into it's stride on shave 3. I would guess that I could get at least 5 shaves from the Muhle if I stuck with it. As mentioned, ridiculously expensive but the longevity may help to balance out the price.

I find Muhle blades extremely mild but they perform exceptionally in R41. In this razor Muhle blades are my go-to's alongside Personna. Generally I get 3 comfortable shaves with a blade.

Top Bottom