What's new

Sandalwood

What's your favorite or who does it best? SWMBO really likes my AoS sandalwood and I want to try another so just looking for good options.

I (and The missus for that matter) love the scent of C&E sandalwood soap. A lot have issues with its performance but in a fan as long as you have good water.

My second soap was TOBs Sandalwood, hard puck in the wooden bowl. Really great scent that lasts a long time after the shave.

SWMBO smelled all the AoS scents and she chose the sandalwood. I can barely smell the cream but I also have the soap and need to try that.

I think my favorite sandalwood is Cold River Select Sandalwood. AOS is really nice too; between that and Proraso Red those are my number 2 and 3.

The only one I have is TOBS. Really nice scent and pretty good lather. Given all the artisan offerings though I am confident that something can probably be had that performs as well or better at a lower price.

As for the scent, I can say that I really like it but, as with all scents YMMV.

My second soap was TOBs Sandalwood, hard puck in the wooden bowl. Really great scent that lasts a long time after the shave.

+1 Yes the TOBS sandalwood has a great scent. I have both the puck and stick versions.

Builds a great lather.

AOS has a really pure Sandalwood scent, but I've never tried the soap. I have a sample of Saint Charles Shave sandalwood aftershave that is a close match, so their soap might be a winner too. I really liked my sample of TOBS sandalwood cream but my full tub doesn't seem to smell as good.

Proraso and TOBS are the only ones I've used. Miles apart in terms of scent, but I love them both.

Proraso is a very cool, earthy, woodsy kind of scent. I've read on here that it's supposedly one of the more authentic scents, and it does contain sandalwood EO. I've never smelled pure sandalwood before, so I can't comment on that, but it is definitely one of my favourite smelling soaps.

I think my favorite sandalwood is Cold River Select Sandalwood. AOS is really nice too; between that and Proraso Red those are my number 2 and 3.

Oh yeah, I can't believe I forgot about this one but Petal Pusher Fancies makes a really nice sandalwood soap as well. Definitely one to add to that list.

Sounds like tobs is getting a lot of love may be moved to the top of the purchase next list. Or a bunch of samples....

For scent, AOS soap is my favourite sandalwood. So much so that I bought the matching EDT. For performance, it's close between Proraso and Haslinger. DR Harris just released a sandalwood soap. They're other soaps are excellent, so I anticipate similar reviews for their sandalwood.

I (and The missus for that matter) love the scent of C&E sandalwood soap. A lot have issues with its performance but in a fan as long as you have good water.
I love the scent and performance of the C&E sandalwood After shave balm and cologne. They are my to go products. The soap has the same great scent but the performance is frankly among the worst possible. The only soap I've tried that is worse is the reformulated Trumpers. I wrote this without adding IMO, And that's not unintentional. My dream would be a MWF soap with the scent of C&E Sandalwood.

I've had sandalwood soaps/creams from TOBS, Proraso and most recently, D R Harris. I don't feel I can comment on what 'authentic' sandalwood smells like (although I suspect there are different types) but I'm told that Proraso is more authentic than TOBS. Be that as it may, I much prefer the TOBS scent, which is sweeter, more complex and more like a cologne. Proraso smells a bit damp and earthy to me, which I don't mind in a soap; but I wouldn't want the scent to linger after the shave.

D R Harris has a lovely scent. From memory, it's not a million miles from TOBS (I got the D R Harris a couple of weeks back, but haven't used TOBS in about a year). It's perhaps a bit lighter than TOBS, with a ferny note in there somewhere, but has a similar sweet and toasty aroma. To my nose, it's not as masculine as TOBS, and not quite as much like a cologne, but it's personally my favourite at the moment.

I am down to the dregs of my QCS mysore sandalwood. Great soap.

I also enjoy Proraso red; did so today, actually.

TOBS soap ( the cream smells a bit different) its got a spicy kind of smell (think wintertime hot chocolate, cinnamion and nutmeg buns and sandalwood incesnse).

Proraso: earthy, musky, warm.

Top Bottom