What's new

E-bowl-a

Status
Not open for further replies.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
So the first ebola patient in NYC decided to go bowling near where I work in sunny Williamsburg Brooklyn, hipster capital of America.

yuck.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I seem to remember someone of authority saying something along the lines of ...There is absolutely zero risk of an outbreak in the USA.
hmmmm :glare:

And when I talk about the E-word at work no one gives a rats butt. Really? You all work in retail, handle money, touch things that hundreds of people touch all day long, interact with hundreds of people every day, thousands per week, people that travel across the country no doubt......and you act like you've never in your life heard of Ebola?

This really irks me that everyone I know isn't the least bit concerned. I'm not obsessed about germs, but we ain't talkin' bout pink eye, or the sniffles.

Ebola concerns me, and I live in sterile and sanitized Utah, surrounded by mountains. There will be many, many rumors and half truths spread about the virus, so everyone be informed and safe. Check the sources of things you hear about it. Ask a medical professional for the truth.

"Many things you read on the internet aren't true" - Abraham Lincoln

Isn't it ill people have to literally puke at one's feet in order to infect those around them?

BTW, are we going to die? Sure, hope is not because of Ebola.

That we're not even enforcing a 21 day isolation on guys who were knowingly in direct contact with Ebola patients is yet another example of complacency, indifference, and stupefying incompetence.

Isn't it ill people have to literally puke at one's feet in order to infect those around them?

BTW, are we going to die? Sure, hope is not because of Ebola.
Close. Even in poverty stricken Africa the rate of infection spreading even among families living together is only one in seven.

Just had a lecture, Q&A, and pre-training on Wednesday. It is much more infectious in the later stages. Note that no one caught it from the Dallas patient when he first presented - not family or ER staff. It was when he was dying from it that a couple nurses caught it. Hopefully this would prevent it from spreading much in the public, but hospitals would have to do things differently (hence the training session). However, despite the low initial transmission rate, we still have a raging epidemic in numerous countries in West Africa - clearly it does an adequate job of spreading itself.

It is hard to transmit in a casual environment in the early stages, but that doesn't mean you keep testing the boundaries. It's ridiculous that 2 people, and no telling how many others, that have knowingly had first person contact with the virus were allowed to avoid a quarantine, much less board an international flight.

More people have posted in this thread than there are people with ebola in the U.S

$ebola.jpg

Are there still outside sources in a global world? You cannot isolate a continent in our modern world, even if we would want it.

More people have posted in this thread than there are people with ebola in the U.S

View attachment 510780

+1 This.

Of course, any infectious disease with a 50 - 90% mortality rate is something to take very seriously. But taking seriously doesn't have anything to do with worrying, or 72-point headlines. (I swear, every time I think CNN can't use a bigger font...)

Diseases like Ebola are not fought with fear-mongering and panic. They're fought with sensible infection control protocols. For example, not allowing a nurse who put a catheter into a known Ebola patient the day he died from Ebola to board a flight to Ohio.

Preventing Ebola is pretty simple. It's only transmitted by fluid contact, and doesn't survive well outside the host. Most current hospital protocols, if followed, would eliminate almost any risk of infection from an infected patient.

Subscribed, just to watch this one spin out of control into a political abyss. Didn't take long to start . . . .

+1 This.

Of course, any infectious disease with a 50 - 90% mortality rate is something to take very seriously. But taking seriously doesn't have anything to do with worrying, or 72-point headlines. (I swear, every time I think CNN can't use a bigger font...)

Diseases like Ebola are not fought with fear-mongering and panic. They're fought with sensible infection control protocols. For example, not allowing a nurse who put a catheter into a known Ebola patient the day he died from Ebola to board a flight to Ohio.

Preventing Ebola is pretty simple. It's only transmitted by fluid contact, and doesn't survive well outside the host. Most current hospital protocols, if followed, would eliminate almost any risk of infection from an infected patient.
Indeed.

One would also have though that Doctor doing volunteer work treating Ebola patients in West Africa might be a bit more self aware and would self quarantine upon return to the US....

Interesting subject, but please, I want to remind everybody about the zero tolerance for politics here. It might be difficult to do, since that subject intermingles with the problem, but I know y'all can.

thank you

-jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom