What's new

Cast-iron skillet question

So I found a cast-iron skillet which is awesome because I have always wanted to use one. My question is after you clean it and season it and then cook do you clean it again? I know that's probably odd question I just don't want to cook in it and have the previous dinners taste. I hope I worded that right.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Cast iron is awesome. Minimal work required to make it last hundreds of years.

After you clean it season it again. And clean it when it is still hot/warm and it will be easier to clean.

You don't want to use soap because each time you season it you are building up a nonstick surface. Soap will undo all of this.

If you have food that is burnt on you can boil water in it on the stove top to help loosen it up.

Depending on what you cook you can even just wipe it out. For instance if you cook cornbread in it, basically just wipe out the crumbs and reuse it.

DO NOT let it sit in water. Make sure it is completely dry.

Seasoning it does a couple things...builds up a nonstick surface, and evaporates all the water left on it that a towel just can't get.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Looks like you have the answers. Pop into the Mess Hall sometime. We have a good cast iron cornbread thread going.

Top Bottom