What's new

Tell me all your Thuri secrets.

Put the razor on the stone and move it around some. Then flip it and repeat.

That's pretty much it. The ease of use is most of what defines a Thuringian.

Wet hone, build slurry, run razor over hone many times, do circles or x strokes or both, finish on slurry, strop, shave. I find that the edge tends to become slightly harsh if I dilute down to water. Don't let the slurry become to dry though.

The secret is that there is no secret. Ian is spot on. You drag and push the razor up and down the stone. The stone does it's magic on the edge.

You can or you can't. Sometimes I use slurry. Sometimes I don't. It really makes little if any difference in the final edge. Thuri's particle size are so immaculately consistent, and their rate of abrasion is so dead perfect for razor honing, that slurry really becomes a matter of preference.

The main thing of getting a great thuri edge is the preparation of the blade before you set the final finish on the thuri. Only a perfect honed edge with all steps in the progression done with enough spirit and patience will lead to a stage that is able to bring out the advantages of a final thuri stroke.
Often people ask - I got a thuri but didn't get really satisfactory results? Most of the time the problem is, that these people use the thuri at a too early stage where the fineness of the abrisive particles in thuringian stones don't bring any results.
If the edge isn't finished in the honing progress to get a good and comfortable shave - it isn't ready for a final improvement with a thuri!

The main thing of getting a great thuri edge is the preparation of the blade before you set the final finish on the thuri. Only a perfect honed edge with all steps in the progression done with enough spirit and patience will lead to a stage that is able to bring out the advantages of a final thuri stroke.

This

Well said Peter - this applies to any finisher or finishing step also!

Top Bottom