What's new

La Veinette VS Les Lat yellow side

I like La Veinette better than LL yellow side, though my LL's aren't bad by any means, but I hear the two sides of the LL layer (top vs bottom) differ greatly.

I prefer my les lat yellow side over my modern glued to slate Veinette. The edge from my les Lats come effortless. I Unicot 95% of the time because it's fast and easy to max out an edge. It is especially nice when you have a bunch of stones and not enough time to learn the tricks with each one. I do have what I believe to be a new natural combo Vienette showing up in the mail shortly, so my preference may change. I love my 8x2 Les lat from Ol' Preu

I prefer my La Veinette to my LL yellow. My LL yellow is FAAAAST though. not that the lv isnt, just not quite so. And I usually do unicot. My lv is idiot proof! You cant mess it up as long as you use common sense. BUT it produces EXACTLY the same edge every time. Fantastic edge though. Have gotten hht 4s off this and as far as comfort goes its got to be among the most comfortable Ive ever shaved with.

Do you think it's a distinction between the two layers or do you think there's a lot of variance within the layers themselves?

Anyway, as it is; with coticules I value them thusly:

Vintage Les Lat and Boxed Salm (#1 just because I've never gotten one, otherwise it'd be after the next group) > Vintage that look Kosher,Old Rock, LV or unusual-looking examples > Modern LV Combo > Modern LL (both sides usable only)> Other Vintages > Modern LaDres and single-sided LL/LV > Modern everything else

Italics are the stones I'd only buy at this point for a very low price or if they were in a particularly desirable size for me (Case in point, my 1x12")

The magical swirling paddle coti's aren't in the list because it turns out they aren't actually coti's.

Last edited:

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I think they vary between the two layers, and within the layers themselves. Typically, there's two coti sides per hybrid, distinguishable according to Bart, by blue lines running parallel in the coti layer-a fast band and a slow band. I have both, and like them both. When I first got a regne les lat it had a very grainy feel to it and I assumed this was a trait of the new layer, but since then I've got an Ol preu LL that has the same grainy feedback. I strongly prefer the cream colored hybrid side of the LL's opposed to the ones with a yellow tint to them.

David

Haha. Yes sir. I asked Noel if I could borrow one of his but he's a hoarder and refused.

David

After using a LV for several weeks now, I would have to say as far as yellow coticule is concerned, IMO, the veinette is better than any piece of Les Lat that I have. Same results can be had with the LL coticule, but with the LV it is effortless. I love my les lats, but this LV is really something special.

After using a LV for several weeks now, I would have to say as far as yellow coticule is concerned, IMO, the veinette is better than any piece of Les Lat that I have. Same results can be had with the LL coticule, but with the LV it is effortless. I love my les lats, but this LV is really something special.

Yep. That's my opinion too. Just seems that the LV's I have owned have been almost silent when honing on them, all my LL's have a grainy/abrasive sound when honing. I don't care for stones that sound like that. They could give the best edges ever but I would rather have a near silent stone.

I think they vary between the two layers, and within the layers themselves. Typically, there's two coti sides per hybrid, distinguishable according to Bart, by blue lines running parallel in the coti layer-a fast band and a slow band. I have both, and like them both. When I first got a regne les lat it had a very grainy feel to it and I assumed this was a trait of the new layer, but since then I've got an Ol preu LL that has the same grainy feedback. I strongly prefer the cream colored hybrid side of the LL's opposed to the ones with a yellow tint to them.

I experienced that the side with the blue hairlines is the fastest side which is also the side which feels finer and smoother...

I think its also the side i prefer more...this layer is much more preferable as beeing a old Ol Preu Layer then the ones quarried from Regne as you mention it here....

A bit pressure and 2-4 strokes the darkening starts, material is removed very fast...

thats the side i prefer, if you move directly from this side to the other one its like all the magic has gone...hard to describe but this is the fun making side :)
proxy.php

Hybrid in the middle:
proxy.php

David

Almost all of my les lats are Ol preu stones, as is my la veinette. Of my les lats my favorite is a fast band creamy colored stone like yours with a blue line running down the center. It's a very fast, hard and fine stone.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 84
I experienced that the side with the blue hairlines is the fastest side which is also the side which feels finer and smoother...

I think its also the side i prefer more...this layer is much more preferable as beeing a old Ol Preu Layer then the ones quarried from Regne as you mention it here....

A bit pressure and 2-4 strokes the darkening starts, material is removed very fast...

thats the side i prefer, if you move directly from this side to the other one its like all the magic has gone...hard to describe but this is the fun making side :)
proxy.php

Hybrid in the middle:
proxy.php

That is a gorgeous stone. Love that second picture.

Since y'all said they were better and therefore forced me to buy (two), I have to agree, nicest coti I have ever handled.

Top Bottom