What's new

Shavemac question regarding loft.

Thinking about getting a Shavemac knot for a handle I have. The handle I have has a 26mm hole. Probably go with a 25mm knot. I haven't used one of their regular 2 band brushes so I'm not sure where to set the knot. I typically face lather. Any help is appreciated!

The Shavemac 2 band D01 has the most significant backbone of any badger brush I have tried. It's wonderful but needs at least a dozen shaves to loosen up. I own and use the B&B LE 2014 Rudy Vey brush. The loft is set at 52 mm for a 26 mm knot.

I have not yet tried the regular silvertip 2 band, the new one.I have on order the LE Holiday 2014 brush with that knot and Rudy sets the loft at 46 - 48 mm for a 24 mm knot.

Please also be aware that the Shavemac knots are measured at the base and very generously filled. You might want to consider going for a 24 mm knot to fit into a 26 mm hole. I would suggest that you ask Bernd about this.

The knots can be seen and ordered from http://www.shavemac.com/products/Experts/Shaving-Brush-KNOTS-SELECT.html .

Hope this helps!

The Shavemac 2 band D01 has the most significant backbone of any badger brush I have tried. It's wonderful but needs at least a dozen shaves to loosen up. I own and use the B&B LE 2014 Rudy Vey brush. The loft is set at 52 mm for a 26 mm knot.

Nice post! I need to get a knot from them, and put it in a special handle. Love my 177!

With the D01 2 band, I would not want the loft/diameter ratio to be smaller than 2:1. For a 26mm knot, that would mean a loft no lower than 52mm. You could go to 54mm and still have good backbone. I had a 26mm D01 2 band set at a loft of 50mm, which works fine for other 2 bands, but that was too low for me.

Sorry to hijack the thread but since the question is in a similar scope, I will not be off topic.

I acquired a vintage Simpsons with a butterscotch Bakelite handle (see it here) and I would like to replace the old knot with a Shavemac D01 2 band. Not sure yet if the actual knot is 20 or 22 mm (the item was shipped only today).

My idea was to go for a 45 mm loft since I prefer face lathering. Do you these specs are wise?

Sorry to hijack the thread but since the question is in a similar scope, I will not be off topic.

I acquired a vintage Simpsons with a butterscotch Bakelite handle (see it here) and I would like to replace the old knot with a Shavemac D01 2 band. Not sure yet if the actual knot is 20 or 22 mm (the item was shipped only today).

My idea was to go for a 45 mm loft since I prefer face lathering. Do you these specs are wise?
If the knot is 22 mm I think a 45 mm loft is spot on. If the knot is 20 mm I would think a loft of 42 mm would give the same feeling.

A smaller knot will need a somewhat taller loft to give the same effect IMHO.

Thank you Bosse for the useful information.

I forgot to mention that I want the D01 2 band with a flat-shaped finish.

Thank you Bosse for the useful information.

I forgot to mention that I want the D01 2 band with a flat-shaped finish.
:w00t:

I don't have any experience of that knot at all, but there must be something to it since Bernd has it available on the site and not by special order only.

Please don't forget a review if you get one!

Yes, but it is only offered with DC01 and DC01 2 band.
You are absolutely right, hadn't noticed that before! I guess a knot with that backbone can handle that flat top! As I told you I have none experience personally from this knot shape.

$Capture.JPG

Top Bottom