What's new

Apache Hone questions

I bought an Apache stone after seeing the reviews and success others were having with this stone vs an Escher or Thuri.

I have a 4" X 1" Thuri I got off the BST and really enjoy using it and especially enjoy the edges it can produce. It has made me want a larger/bench size Thuri but price has been the major obstacle. So I've been ok with the smaller size, but wanting a larger one.

So in comes the Apache stone, something that can not necessarily replace a Thuri or Escher. But an economical, readily available alternative. Which led me to purchase a 4" X 1.5" X 5/16 Apache stone. I like the feel of this stone and how it feels while honing. Not enough data to make a determination yet, but so far, so good. If things continue and I get satisfactory results, a 5" X 3 to 4" larger stone may be a nice, much less expensive alternative. Obviously, I want superb edges like anyone else. And I still will likely snag a larger Escher/Thuri sometime in the future, but for now- thus seems to be a very acceptable alternative.

Question- Do any of you soak the Apache stone prior to using, or not?? (i guess just one question, not question(s) )

Pic: on a Naniwa SS for reference-

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:
The market is actually a touch flat on thuris right now. For something you can buy right now though, the apache seems like a much much more attractive option than the zulu.

Last edited:
Are these hones really as impressive as all the threads about them implies?

Depends. My first one was a bad example. The replacement is pretty much all that Nelson claimed they were. It's fast, easy, and leaves a comfortable edge. Some have claimed Coticule level comfort. I don't get that. The shaves are comfortable, but not coticule-comfortable. It's right in the ballpark of a Thuringian for finish and seems close to it for speed (I haven't compared the good stone to a thuri directly for speed yet, but I have a suspicion it's not quite as fast). The feedback isn't as silky-smooth-perfect as a good soft thuri, but it's very nice in its own way. I'd say they're definitely an excellent stone; but like everything good; there will be people laying the praise on a bit thick, so I can't speak for every review out there.

Used mine again tonite and really enjoyed using it and the edge it produced. Haven't shaved with it yet, but under my loupe, it appeared to have nice results. Will shave with it tomorrow.

I have a darker and a lighter one, if I get another it will be darker and I plan on at least 6x2. I love mine and the edge it produces. I will say this, it being a natural stone no one could guarantee if or how well it would hone, short of using it. with that said I would not sell mine for twice what I paid for it.

Same experience here in that its a keeper and the edge it produces is very keen and comfortable and easy. Regarding speed, how long does it take to do 20 or 30 circles and 10 x strokes? :thumbup:

Are these hones really as impressive as all the threads about them implies?
The one I have puts a very nice comfortable edge on a razor. Water only, really easy to use and mined right here in the U.S.A. Great find! I gotta add, lapping was not much fun. The one I have is seriously hard!!!!

yeah, and Terry is cooking up a couple of new stones to add to the lineup according to the banner on his site

You guys are a bunch of enablers. AND I LOVE THAT! I didn't really need another finisher but, then.. Do we EVER really NEED them?

I almost bought another one tonight. I stayed strong but I don't know if I can hold out.
I think I do need another one. Gotta have back up.

I have to admit the 10% off was enough to get me to snag a 6.5" X 3" X 5/8" larger stone off the front page. Used it today ams it provided a wonderful edge. A supurb shave with zero irritation/burn. These guys are onto something good. Wonderful customer service after the sale as well.

Top Bottom