What's new

Deadwood Tobacco Co.

Last weekend I found myself in Rapid City, SD. I found some time and took a break from family stuff to stop by a couple of tobacconists. The Tobacco Warehouse in Rapid City was an interesting affair. I'm not sure how to categorize it. In reality it was a glorified cigarette store. Nice humidor for cigars, but disappointingly weak on anything pipe related. They had Comoy's Cask Tobacco in stock and when I asked about the pricing I was given a sizeable pouch as a sample which I thought was pretty awesome. I picked up some cleaners, and a couple of tins of snuff. They had some Dental Sweet which was a nice pickup. The rest of their snuff was the usual flavors of Silver Dollar that I can find locally. Great people to deal with but, for the pipe man, the store was wanting.

My second stop made up for any disappointment that I may have had. On the way home I made a detour to the Deadwood Tobacco Company and Cigar Bar. I enjoyed the few minutes that I spent there. Great humidor for the cigar enthusiast, and a decent selection of pipes. I got to see a couple of the DE/Tsuge pipes in person. They looked nice enough, but weren't my cup of tea. They had a solid selection of bulk tobacco. I picked up "three ounces" of Deadwood Gold and Sweet Jane. The three ounces is in quotations because the 3oz. bags of tobacco were veeeery generous. I also picked up a tin of DE Gatsby Flake. They carry the full line of DE pipe tobaccos and Comoy's as well.

I haven't tried the Deadwood Gold yet, but it smells like something I'd want to eat. I have my suspicions that it's a couple of the regular bulk tobacco suspects mixed together. Sweet Jane is a pipe tobacco modeled after the Sweet Jane cigar made for Deadwood Tobacco Co. by Drew Estate. I smoked a bowl of it yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was one of those bowls that started out good, turned great, and left me wanting more when it finished. Think mild chocolate and coffee flavor cocooned in smoky goodness. Like a really good cigar only better because it's in a pipe.:tongue_sm

If you're in the area I highly recommend a stop at Deadwood Tobacco Co. What's not to like about a quality cigar bar in a haunted building that features a blues band two nights a week?

We piddled around Deadwood for a while when I was there a few months ago. Unfortunately didn't go there. I wasn't super impressed with Rapid City or Deadwood as a whole, but I really wish I would have known about the DTC before we went. Sounds like a cool place.

Gave the Deadwood Gold a shot yesterday. It pretty much rocketed into my top 10 aro's. Great stuff.

You missed out Freebirth. The tobacco can be ordered online, but the place itself was pretty neat. You go down a sketchy looking set of outdoor stairs from street level. Make a left and you're in the Chinese tunnels and if you make a right you're in smoky goodness.

Never had any interest in doing Sturgis but this sounds interesting:w00t:
Don't know if it would be worth the 1300 mile round trip:scared:

Top Bottom