What's new

Is it bad that ive never tried Tabac?

I would say yes its bad to the OP for not trying tabac, but you have some great soaps and its all about what works for you. BandM is pretty awesome stuff. Tabac is just simply Tabac. Buy the stick and save some $$. I love mine but yrmv

I smoke like a chimney, so TABAC should be a no brainer, but have never gotten around to buying some. The claims of a horrendous, eye watering stench should be cause for concern, but I love the horrendous, eye watering stench of The Veg, so there's that.
Quite honestly, the soaps and creams I use are washed away during the post-shave shower, with very few that have a lingering scent. MWF is one with Cella a close second. If you can stand the reek during the actual shave process, I'd say give it a try.

You will only be disappointed after using the soaps you have mentioned...

Respectfully disagree.

I smoke like a chimney, so TABAC should be a no brainer, but have never gotten around to buying some. The claims of a horrendous, eye watering stench should be cause for concern, but I love the horrendous, eye watering stench of The Veg, so there's that.
Quite honestly, the soaps and creams I use are washed away during the post-shave shower, with very few that have a lingering scent. MWF is one with Cella a close second. If you can stand the reek during the actual shave process, I'd say give it a try.

Fellas: it does not smell like tobacco. Not. One. Bit. Old-fashioned floral, maybe.

I think the performance is superb if hydrated properly. Check out the straights forum--they value slickness above all, and Tabac delivers.

YMMV, of course.

Tried Tabac for the first time at the beginning of October.

This, after a friend sent me some of the Tabac body soap.

Amazing scent, a light floral fragrance (tobacco flower). It lathers so easily, and makes one of the best lathers out there.

Scents are open to personal interpretation, so you will never know until you try it.

I've heard so many bad things about the scent but unrelenting praise on the quality of the lather, I finally broke down and bought myself the ceramic tub of it... not gonna lie, really hope I'm one of the lot that enjoy the scent.
You are not alone.

Tabac is a great soap. I like the scent and the performance is great. Try it. What do you have to lose? If you like it you have another great product to have in your rotation. If you don't like it you'll have no trouble getting rid of it on the BST. As a matter of fact, get the ceramic tub and if you don't like it, I'LL take it off of your hands. :thumbup:

Great performer, but did not like the scent at first also. The scent grew on me and now have the AS. It is one now that I even sneak a sniff even if not shaving with it. Love it and will always be in my den.

The same thing happened to me. The performance was the best of what I had used at the time and the scent was just OK. The more I used it, the more I liked it and now I have the AS and the EDC. I love the bowl and bottles too.

I bought a Tabac stick and I used it exactly once before trading it for some La Toja on BST. I really wish I could handle the scent because I whipped up Santa Claus lather with that stuff.

Tabac could be my favorite smelling soap of all time.
It is brilliant.
Smells like shaving soap should.
Lathers like a monster...easily.
Unfortunatly...it does not agree with my skin...leaves it dry...with wearers.
Pity.
(You have tried some very good soaps).

I love tabac as well. Smells like English Leather soap on a roap to me! Not that I like soap on a roap or anything.....

I think you should at least buy a sample. I tried it, and love the smell and performance. It is my favorite scent of them all. I follow up the Tabac shave with Tabac ASL.

I didn't like the smell at first now it is my favorite. I have only been DE shaving for a couple months and out of the 10 soaps and creams I've tried I love it. Not at all what I thought it was going to smell like. For me it has a rosey super old school scent that grew on me quickly. Great lather, good glide with a wonderful post shave feel.

Tabac has a light peppery fragrance that I don't mind, but it is easy to see how its scent is polarizing. As others have said, the performance is top-notch. There is a reason B&B is divided into MWF and Tabac camps.

IME you should regret not trying Cella and Wilkinson sticks. Now I fall more on the performance side than scent side when shaving, even though I am addicted to some soap scents at any time of the day (I literally sit with a puck right next to me and pick it up for a sniff every now and then).

BTW, question to the Tabac scent dislikers, what is your opinion about Arko's?
While I am not a Tabac scent lover, I would easy go for Tabac if those where the only options. I kind of wonder if I am nearly the only one who doesn't like Arko's scent.

While I am not a Tabac scent lover, I would easy go for Tabac if those where the only options. I kind of wonder if I am nearly the only one who doesn't like Arko's scent.

I don't really like the scent of arko either, but tabac, that scent is right up my ally. Arko just smells cheap I guess, and while I don't dislike things that are cheap, I just don't care for arko. There are cheap cream and soap that smells absolutely great I.e. Palmolive, but arko is just not one of those, IMO

I've also never tried it and I've been in the game for a while now. I guess I started too strong in buying soaps and creams that now I find myself using up what I have. Maybe Tabac will make an appearance in my den in the near future.

Arko is another of my go to soaps. I have 2 tubs I bought for a little over $6. I don't think I will ever use it all. The smell is fresh and clean. Rinses away with no odor and leaves my face ready for any after shave treatments. I keep mine in a Marvey mug and sometimes use it straight or with a dollop of C.O. Bigelow.

I am one of those who hated the smell at first, but either it dissipated after airing out for a few days, or my nose got desensitized to it - I don't mind it at all now. However, you will be hard pressed to find another soap to beat its slickness (when properly hydrated) or the ease of lathering!

Top Bottom