What's new

Shaving top lip

Hey guys, I'm new to wet shaving and i've just had my first shave today, with a GEM 1912. I don't think i had a very good lather, and technique is pretty crap, but i don't really have any burn and i didn't cut myself. I was just wondering what sort of technique you guys use to shave your top lip? I kind of had to hold the razor on an angle so i was just using the very corner, and just come straight down, cutting a bit of it at a time. It felt like it was pulling/tearing a bit, but no more than disposables do.

Another thing, Do you guys leave your blade in the razor between shaves?

Cheers :)

I go straight down some and then I go from center to each side. I stretch skin with my off hand and also make some embarrassing "shaving faces" to get all of the 'stache area.

Just experiment.

I also have a moustache, so I can't help you there. If you are using stainless steel blades it is okay to leave the blade in the razor between shaves. However, carbon steel blades must be removed from the razor and dried after each use, otherwise they will rust.

--Bob

I go straight down some and then I go from center to each side. I stretch skin with my off hand and also make some embarrassing "shaving faces" to get all of the 'stache area.
Basically the same here, plus a bit ATG directly under my nose to catch the stubble there.

You can also use your free hand to slightly move the nose around to get under it better, just don't get too crazy and dislocate your nose or anything :tongue_sm. For some reason though, I have never had any more difficulty getting under my nose with a SE than with a DE. I originally thought that I would have problems, but actually I have been able to do better with an SE.

I never was happy shaving my upper lip. So the first day of college, I started a mustache, which I have kept unshaven for, gawd, fifty years. Sorry I can't help.

I find the upper lip hard so I have been doing three passes, one with the grain and two across. To get a better shave on the across passes I have been doing them on more like a diagonal so they are sort of against the grain but not totally. It's been working pretty well for me. The one thing I am still not doing well with is avoiding the upper edge of my lip, so I often feel like my lip is chapped after a shave.

I do a pass down (WTG) and then from side to side (XTG). If I try to shave ATG on my upper lip I generally wind up with weepers. I can shave against the grain as far up as the corners of my mouth and then I need to be very careful not to continue under my nose. Even without the Against the Grain pass I can get a buttery smooth shave with a couple of side to side passes.

The same as the rest of my face: 3 passes, WTG, XTG, ATG.
Just go WTG for now, and see how that goes.
A lot of guys only go WTG, YMMV for sure...

hey, thanks for the advice guys. I kind of meant that i can't fit the razor under my nose at all to go straight down, i have to hold the razor on a 45 degree angle to my lip and just use like 5mm of the edge, slowly working my way from the outside to the center. This way makes me feel as though i have a huge potential to slice, although it did work. I guess it is just trial and error and i'll eventually find the best way for me though.

Also, are these blades okay to use?
$$_3.JPG

You can also use your free hand to slightly move the nose around to get under it better, just don't get too crazy and dislocate your nose or anything :tongue_sm. For some reason though, I have never had any more difficulty getting under my nose with a SE than with a DE. I originally thought that I would have problems, but actually I have been able to do better with an SE.

+1 for Anthony's suggestion. I don't remember where I ran across this, but it makes it so much easier. Between the "shave faces" and pushing my nose out of the way, I'm sound as a pound. As for those blades, someone else said that SE blades are vastly different from the boxcutter blades. I don't use an SE, so I will defer to the SE gents, but my inclination is no, those are not the correct blades.

3 passes with no pressure. wtg, xtg, atg. When doing against the grain, try moving your head instead of moving the razor. No need to watch either. That'll finish you off with BBS in that area. Works for me anyways

Shaving right to the lip, whether top or bottom, naturally can fill us with dread with that soft skin and the blood vessels waiting to spurt open.
I use Mühle R41, which gave me a weeper or two as I honed my technique, and so I we really carefully here in the first few weeks.
But after a while, without being inattentive, you can drag your razor right to the edge no problem.
I tend to stick with XTG on the top, just because the skin in very soft and the stubble is fairly tough. A combination that can drag up the lip and lead to weepers or worse. I sometimes to ATG below the lip, no problem at all.
With a fresh blade I get BBS most of the time.
Like many things in life, it's just a question of taking your time. Good technique develops almost without your noticing it.

yes, don't use box/carpet cutting blades. I mean, you can if you got to, no other choice, but it's not ideal.

One other thing you can do is you can use a different razor for under the lip. A Schick injector works pretty well in tight spots.

-jim

I use a Remington electric trimmer that I've had to get the around the mouth, neck and other areas to clean up after my last pass if it feels like I need extra. Works for me.

Welcome to the forum!

Just be patient and do WTG, XTG, XTG in the opposite direction, all using light pressure! Good luck.

Personally i do with the grain and across the grain on my mustache so i go straight down and then from the direction ear to nose and i get close to bbs at first i was struggling with that area too not irritation or nothing bad just not as close as i would have like it. As you shave more and know what direction your hair grows you will get closer shave also if you feel tugging and stuff and feel your blade angle is right and light pressure maby try a sharper blade

yes, don't use box/carpet cutting blades. I mean, you can if you got to, no other choice, but it's not ideal.

One other thing you can do is you can use a different razor for under the lip. A Schick injector works pretty well in tight spots.

-jim
Great advise, the small head is easy to maneuver. And not aggressive.

Top Bottom