What's new

What have you learned, advanced and beginners?

Hello everyone, I have been shaving with a safety razor for about three months. During this time, I have cut myself so bad, I might as well have amputated, I have also learned a lot, not only from personal error, but from others trial and error. I'd like to share with you some great things I've learned(still learning), and would like to hear what you have learned as well. What have you found works best for you, what doesn't, any horror stories(weepers) or love at first use products, let's hear it!

My experience so far:

1. Learn about your skin type! When I jumped into wet shaving, I didn't consider everyone has different skin, one shave and speick aftershave lotion later, I burned parts of my cheeks, and it took about two weeks for my skin to recover. Now I know, I have dry and sensitive skin. Balms and creams work better for my type

2. All those expensive fragrance aftershaves that come as samples with your Colognes, I.e Dior, Calvin Klein, etc. Tend to be directed towards the cartridge users. I use to use them, face was perfectly fine, then I used feather blades, treet, shark's, and dang, my face looked as red as a lobster. Beware.

3. I always shaved in the shower when I used disposable razors. Once I started this great journey, I began shaving when I got out of the shower(because that's what everyone on youtube does). I broke out ugly. I couldn't figure it out, I swore I was having an allergic reaction to something. One day, I decided to have my shave in the shower; it was the best day of my life. I continued to do this for a week, and my face thanked me for it, everything cleared up, no more red, no more bumps, no more random spots of acne.

4. Proraso boar brush has to be the biggest brush in the world.( if you know of a stand for it, please let me know)

5. This turned out to cost me the same amount of money as disposable razor shaving. You always hear people say this is a great long run investment. No. You become addicted to feeling luxurious, so many soaps, creams, balms, razors, brushes, the smells! The feels!

6. There are better ways of putting your soaps in bowls or mugs than melting them in the microwave. I tried doing this with a d.r Harris refill puck, and ruined its greatness.

7. Palmolive original shave cream smells exactly like arctic edge degree fresh deodorant. How do I know you ask? I was wearing it when I went into a shave store and was smelling the creams.

8. Shaving chin and neck.... You're not going to get it the first time, and that's okay. Try again tomorrow. Or in a couple of days, depending on how bad you've left yourself

9. Palmolive menthol, and persona lab blue razor blades gave me the slickest, smoothest shave. This might be my combo guys!

10. 2 day ups deliveries never arrive in two days.

11. Noxzema is an amazing face prep, wash your face with the original before shaving, I guarantee you baby bottom smooth skin.

12. Different strokes for different folks, your miles may very.

Last edited:
Noxzema did not work for me.
Try shaving with cold water once, see if that makes any difference for you.

I look at the cost differently. Sure, I may spend close to what I was before on cartridge refills, but what I'm buying now lasts much longer (soaps and AS) and may be passed on to my son one day if he so desires (razors).

Also, in regards to aftershaves, I've learned not to judge their scents immediately. For example, I'm currently using some Clubman Vanilla. When I first put it on I thought it was a bit much, but then about three hours later the wind blew just right and I caught a whiff of it and I was like "Yeah, that's what's up."

5. This turned out to cost me the same amount of money as disposable razor shaving. You always hear people say this is a great long run investment. No. You become addicted to feeling luxurious, so many soaps, creams, balms, razors, brushes, the smells! The feels!

That's entirely on you. This can easily turn into a hobby rather than just shaving. It's great when it does though...

10. 2 day ups deliveries never arrive in two days.

UPS and I don't get along well. Despite the random delays: I prefer USPS.

Hello and welcome. B&B is a great forum full of friendly, helpful shavers. You will learn a lot here.

Great post. Thanks for sharing your experiences and observations so far.

UPS don't deliver on time:laugh:

I've noticed when I've not ordered anything I'll see the UPS truck or USPS around making their deliveries around noon or early afternoon. But when I have something out for delivery they seem to deliver much later towards the evening.

I finally learned how to make a proper lather; while I had used a cart. for several years, I have used, and still use, a badger brush from Caswell-Massey.

I have also learned about mapping my beard; makes A LOT of difference.

I learned Beard Mapping, correct angle, and NO PRESSURE =p. The no pressure bit is still the hardest part for me.

That's it!

These are the cornerstones of wet shaving. After a while you might also notice that the prep is important when aiming at the really sweet shave. Technique is what makes the shave enjoyable, you can't buy a pleasant shave by acquiring more stuff

I cannot but envy the present generation for having B&B at hand during the learning phase. I myself started in 1980, but I'm a notoriously slow thinker... :whistling:

Oh, BTW, the "no pressure bit" is to be taken seriously. I myself applied my 'no pressure' knowledge to a shave with a straight razor clone with a disposable (Feather) SE blade. After a (long) while I stopped bleeding :w00t: and applied my reformulated 'no pressure' concept to a DE. I have for the last 5+ years enjoyed daily BBS shaves since then!

Every shave keeps getting better. Look forward to shaving everyday as weird as that sounds. Haven't missed a day since i got my safety razor two weeks ago.

Top Bottom