What's new

when to change blades? newbie question

So i was curious when im supposed to change blades... ive recently have been changing my astras after 2 shaves to be safe. Being so new, im Worried i wont kniw the difference between my bad technique and the blade needing to be changed... can anyone help on this? I have a feeling i should be able to get more shaves out of each blade.
Thanks gents!!

I usually shoot for 3-5 shaves per blade. Just use them until you feel that they are dragging, then change. Nothing wrong with changing mid-shave. That is when I feel the dragging and when I change.

Good luck and shave away!!

I change blades when I feel they're not performing well, but I'd say that until you feel confident you can do that then changing after three shaves is a safe bet.

I toss all blades after two shaves. They are so cheap that I can't see any point in risking a less than optimal shave. YMMV.

Depends on the razor/blade, no? I use a Schick injector and I've always seemed to get about 2 weeks (say 10 shaves). IIRC I've seen similar experiences related here on B&B.

Since I've been here, I think 3-5 shaves is the norm. I don't normally keep count of shaves but I would say I can get between 5-7 shaves off my blade.
BSAGuy mentioned that when the blade starts dragging is when to change it out. I completely agree! But I would describe the blade to be more of a pulling sensation in the sense that the blade is no longer slicing and just tugging on the hair. I would say to try and get 3 shaves out of the blade - there are some blades that just get into the sweet spot after 1 or 2 shaves anyway. It's all about experimentation and trying to find what's best for you!

Depends on the razor/blade, no? I use a Schick injector and I've always seemed to get about 2 weeks (say 10 shaves). IIRC I've seen similar experiences related here on B&B.
Definitely, but keep in mind that the OP mentioned Astras, so he presumably is talking about DE blades. In comparison, SE blades (including injectors) are a lot longer- lasting, probably because of their extra thickness.

Definitely, but keep in mind that the OP mentioned Astras, so he presumably is talking about DE blades. In comparison, SE blades (including injectors) are a lot longer- lasting, probably because of their extra thickness.
Indeed.

Makes me wonder and ask a stupid (at least DE-ignorant) question: why aren't DE blades more substantial?

I tend to get anywhere from 2-7 shaves depending on the brand of blade I use. Blades like Wilkinson Swords, and Derbys get me at most 3 shaves, while Personna lab blues and Feathers I have gone as many as 7. What I usually look for before I switch out my blades is when I feel them either start to tug or feel a little rough, or if I feel like I need to use more passes to get a close shave.

Most blades for me shave better on shave #2 or 3 than the first shave for whatever reason. So I really think it just depends a lot on the blade, and how course your beard is as to how long different blades will last you. Also 1 shave could be 2 passes for someone or 4 for another person. So person A doing 5 two pass shaves will have used his blade less than person B doing 3 four pass shaves.

For me, it really depends on the brand. Astra and Feather, 4-5 shaves, no problem. Most others, and I feel the drag during the second shave. So I bin them. I bought my first 100 - Astra - and once I finally finish testing my extensive sample pack, I'll probably get 100 Feather. 2 years right there, more or less.

I do find it important, even though I use the same single razor, to use at least 4 or 5 blades of each brand one after the other. This way I really get to know the blades, and my choices are clearer.

3 shaves is a good starting point. For me, some blades easily last a week. But "3 shaves and out" is a good beginner reference.

When you are trying out and learning the blades yes, 3 and out is a good idea. Once you have your idea of what blades work, try going for longer but know not to try much more than 5. Each blade even from the same manufacturer is different whether they are smoother or more course or even if they last longer or shorter.

Ok sweet!!!
So for now, its 3 and out.
Later i can push them further.
They are cheap so its no big deal.
Thanks everyone!!!

Thank for posting, I'm at the same point.

Going to change the blade sooner than later, for some reason I was expecting to get a weeks worth of shaves (x7).

Top Bottom