What's new

The Renaissance of hair pomades & the new Golden Age

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Doing a Goggle Search on pomades, provide a great deal very interesting articles and products. The website pomade.com is well worth looking into.

Brad, it's one of the four on-line shops I buy from and one of the best sources in the USA. :thumbup1:

Pomade.com is a great Web site. I noted the free conus shipping. A big incentive. Even more than the great products are the real world reviews they have there. Many with video. I will bookmark the site for sure.

Looks like after reading this, and a long unsuccessful trip around the city today to try and source pomades...I'll be ordering from online now. It's amazing - that look you get when you ask about this or that product, and the look you receive afterwards. You know the one. That look that says "Huh? I don't think I have ever heard of that brand before.".

Thanks again to Marco and all members that have been adding bits of advice about the places to purchase online.

I was using Woody's pomade up until recent. Can anyone suggest something that had a medium hold and medium shine? I like the water soluble pomades...

Here's what it looks like and the ingredients....

$pomade.jpg
$woodys.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like after reading this, and a long unsuccessful trip around the city today to try and source pomades...I'll be ordering from online now. It's amazing - that look you get when you ask about this or that product, and the look you receive afterwards. You know the one. That look that says "Huh? I don't think I have ever heard of that brand before.".

Thanks again to Marco and all members that have been adding bits of advice about the places to purchase online.

I was using Woody's pomade up until recent. Can anyone suggest something that had a medium hold and medium shine? I like the water soluble pomades...

View attachment 512625
View attachment 512626

Check out the Railcar Pomade or the new Prospectors. Railcar is a great medium pomade that I think you may like. Does not over shine or get too stiff.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy

View attachment 512625
View attachment 512626

Check out the Railcar Pomade or the new Prospectors. Railcar is a great medium pomade that I think you may like. Does not over shine or get too stiff.

+1 on both and I also suggest Admiral Medium Hold Fiber and The Daimon Barber #1.

I received my Crown Shaving Co. Hippie Killer Pomade (HKP) yesterday. I don't have a lot of experience with pomades, but I've used a few. I have very straight, dark grey hair that's cut short (not shaved) and loosely parted on the side, slicked back on the longer side. I use my hands instead of a comb to style my hair. Old habit.

This pomade is very easy to work in the hands. It really reminds me of American Crew pomade as it goes into the hair quite easily. It has a subtle lemon/citrusy scent, to my nose. It has nice hold (medium-firm according to their website) and some shine. Washes out very easily with one shampooing.

In my opinion, this pomade has less hold than the Imperial Barber Classic pomade I've been using, but more shine, which I like. It is a good product and I'll continue to use it for a while before I decide if I'd order it again.

My "holy grail" pomade, it seems, would be water based, firmer hold with at least a moderate shine. I tend not to like sweeter scented products on myself but I'm always willing to compromise.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I received my Crown Shaving Co. Hippie Killer Pomade (HKP) yesterday. I don't have a lot of experience with pomades, but I've used a few. I have very straight, dark grey hair that's cut short (not shaved) and loosely parted on the side, slicked back on the longer side. I use my hands instead of a comb to style my hair. Old habit.

This pomade is very easy to work in the hands. It really reminds me of American Crew pomade as it goes into the hair quite easily. It has a subtle lemon/citrusy scent, to my nose. It has nice hold (medium-firm according to their website) and some shine. Washes out very easily with one shampooing.

In my opinion, this pomade has less hold than the Imperial Barber Classic pomade I've been using, but more shine, which I like. It is a good product and I'll continue to use it for a while before I decide if I'd order it again.

My "holy grail" pomade, it seems, would be water based, firmer hold with at least a moderate shine. I tend not to like sweeter scented products on myself but I'm always willing to compromise.

Thank you for your thoughts on a pomade I've never used before, Jason.

One consideration on water based pomades: hold and shine are two elements inversely proportioned, hence more hold usually means less shine and more shine usually means less hold. It's somehow similar for oil based pomades, but these tend to be more shiny anyway because of the grease, waxes and oils they naturally contain.

Strong hold, medium to high shine and soft consistency are the three requirements I want in my pomades. And to me it does not matter if they are water or oil based, as long as they style my hair as I desire.

Received my Reuzel Red last night and tried it out today.

Medium hold with what I would consider high shine. What I really like is the scent (coconut/pineapple) and the texture (it is not hard like most water based pomades). It won't hold your hair super tight, but it will hold it. I'm now a fan.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Gents, tomorrow morning I'm having a haircut at my barbershop and I'm starting to have an itch... Eliseo & Paolo stock modern brands like Uppercut, Reuzel or Layrite and are also retailers of original oil based pomades from the first Golden Age. I'm tempted to order one to test and I have my eyes on Sweet Georgia Brown Blue. Sweet Georgia Brown was founded in 1934, still uses its trusted formula as 80 years ago and is now packaged in a vintage-style, nostalgic can. Isn't it beautiful?

$plakat_sweet_georgia_brown.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you to all of you that have been freely sharing your knowledge about pomades. I've been using pomade for about two months now. I really like it, but I'm starting to run low and I need some more. I currently use American Crew and its the only one I've ever used. It seems to work ok, but I have no base for comparison. I don't know if it qualifies as medium or light hold or medium shine or whatever. It also costs about $20 for 3 ounces, which I'm not super crazy about.
Has anyone used this pomade and if so can anyone give me some good comparisons? I've been following this thread and I feel like I might like a little stronger hold and higher shine? Reuzel Red and Uppercut deluxe sound intriguing, but I would like to know how they compare so I know a little more what I might be getting into. Also am I just cheap thinking $20 for 3oz of American Crew is a lot?
Thanks again for all the great info provided previously. You are all gentlemen and scholars.

Thank you to all of you that have been freely sharing your knowledge about pomades. I've been using pomade for about two months now. I really like it, but I'm starting to run low and I need some more. I currently use American Crew and its the only one I've ever used. It seems to work ok, but I have no base for comparison. I don't know if it qualifies as medium or light hold or medium shine or whatever. It also costs about $20 for 3 ounces, which I'm not super crazy about.
Has anyone used this pomade and if so can anyone give me some good comparisons? I've been following this thread and I feel like I might like a little stronger hold and higher shine? Reuzel Red and Uppercut deluxe sound intriguing, but I would like to know how they compare so I know a little more what I might be getting into. Also am I just cheap thinking $20 for 3oz of American Crew is a lot?
Thanks again for all the great info provided previously. You are all gentlemen and scholars.

I did not like American Crew (very little hold compared to the two you mention) and found it very expensive for what you get. Of the two you mention, if you want more hold, Uppercut Deluxe, less hold, Reuzel Red. Reuzel will have more shine than Uppercut in my opinion.

If you'd like to try a pomade similar to American Crew, I would check out Woody's Web. It's a lighter hold than Reuzel, but I like it. The scent is a bit odd and I'd have to have it in front of me to describe it. It reminds me more of the feel of a light hold oil base pomade, but it is water based (although I do see petrolatum on the ingredients list).

Last edited:
Hi Stefan,

I have American Crew pomade. It says high shine and firm hold on my jar. It's almost empty. I have very straight hair and although I liked the shine, I felt the hold was lacking for me. Interesting point here considering Marco's insight regarding hold vs shine. I have found that Imperial Barber Classic has given me the best hold, but it is pretty weak in the shine department.

I'm testing a new pomade, Crown Shaving Co Hippie Killer Pomade at the moment. It's about the same as American Crew, in my opinion. I'd try a couple of Marco's recommendations. I know I will be after I finish this current product. Probably Layrite and/or Uppercut Deluxe.

I should note...I stick only with water based pomades. Just a personal choice.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Thanks for your insight, Marco. And yes, that vintage packaging is very cool.

I may may try Layrite next...

Layrite is a good product, but honestly it did not steal my heart. Uppercut Deluxe is my current favourite water based pomade, followed by Admiral Strong and Reuzel Red. Also, my expectations for King Brown Firm Hold are high, hope I won't be disappointed when it will be released on late November.

Sweet Georgia Brown. Now there is a name I had not heard in some years. I was unaware it was still made til I started looking at this thread. I noticed it somewhere at one of the shops we've spoken of here but did not know the history. And yes, the vintage style packaging is most appealing. You can see why I hope the soap artisans move in this direction for containers.

Layrite is a good product, but honestly it did not steal my heart. Uppercut Deluxe is my current favourite water based pomade, followed by Admiral Strong and Reuzel Red. Also, my expectations for King Brown Firm Hold are high, hope I won't be disappointed when it will be released on late November.

You may have mentioned this before, Marco. I hope you'll indulge me. What is it in particular about Uppercut Deluxe and Admiral Strong that puts it above Layrite? Your continued insight will certainly affect my decision when I make my next purchase.

Hi Stefan,

I have American Crew pomade. It says high shine and firm hold on my jar. It's almost empty. I have very straight hair and although I liked the shine, I felt the hold was lacking for me. Interesting point here considering Marco's insight regarding hold vs shine. I have found that Imperial Barber Classic has given me the best hold, but it is pretty weak in the shine department.

I'm testing a new pomade, Crown Shaving Co Hippie Killer Pomade at the moment. It's about the same as American Crew, in my opinion. I'd try a couple of Marco's recommendations. I know I will be after I finish this current product. Probably Layrite and/or Uppercut Deluxe.

I should note...I stick only with water based pomades. Just a personal choice.

Thank you for sharing your experience. My American Crew says medium hold and medium shine. I've been reading on here that applying while your hair is not totally dry can decrease some of the hold too. This is what I do. I do a light towel dry but leave my hair damp. I find it easier to deal with that way, plus I heard somewhere it makes it appear more shiny.
I might try some Layrite since it is less expensive and I won't feel as bad about experimenting with it and possibly wasting some.

Also, thanks to paintflinger for your insight as well. Reuzel Red sounds very intriguing. I think I'd like more hold than AC, but I don't really want to sacrifice shine. I'm not sure why, but shiny hair sounds appealing to me.

None of the salons near me stock American Crew products and I refuse to buy it at Walgreens or a local supermarket because the product is super old and has most likely dried out. AC recommends only one online vendor to buy from on their website, and I know the Grooming Lounge carries the line. But where do you guys purchase from?

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
You may have mentioned this before, Marco. I hope you'll indulge me. What is it in particular about Uppercut Deluxe and Admiral Strong that puts it above Layrite? Your continued insight will certainly affect my decision when I make my next purchase.

Jason, the only Layrite that gives me the hold I want is the Super Hold (brown jar), while both the Original (yellow jar) and the Super Shine (red jar) are too weak for my taste, being respectively Medium and Light/Medium in hold. But what I do not like too much about the Super Hold is the texture of the pomade, which is not as soft and easy to apply and style on the hair as Uppercut Deluxe and Admiral Strong. Also, with more use of both these last two I'm starting to notice a bit more hold power in the Uppercut Deluxe compared to Admiral Strong and that is why Uppercut Deluxe has become my favourite water based pomade. Of course Jason, these are only my thoughts based on my personal preferences.

Last edited:
Top Bottom