What's new

The Renaissance of hair pomades & the new Golden Age

These new Red House pomades are fantastic. I have the oil based in the Blackberry Boogie scent. That stuff has quickly become one of my favorites. After I got the hang of it, it worked fantastically. Plus, the smell is totally killer. I have to buy the Red House Private Reserve one too.

And don't go to sleep on Grim Grease x Gary Nobriga Purple Mane Collab. It releases tomorrow at 7 pm Pacific time. So that means it will release at 10 pm my time!

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
The regular Red House scent is a bit sweet for my taste so I'm hoping the Barbershop is better. I got a jar of their limited run Bay Rum regular hold that's pretty nice but I have a feeling I'll prefer the Barbershop. My favorite thing about the Red House pomade is that it actually makes my hair look and feel healthier. Some pomades make my hair feel a little bit nicer after they wash out but Red House makes my hair feel sinificantly better and I would theorize that it's the Shea butter as a lot of the other ingredients are found in other products also. The only pomade that makes my hair feel as good as Red House is O'Doud's Brewmaster's pomade which also smells amazing. These 2 are almost solely what I use right now unless I am reaching for a clay.

My hair is just long enough to style again now so I am a happy man! Need to get the sides tapered up nice and clean though.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Well, Red House Private Reserve arrived this evening and without a doubt this scent is my favorite of theirs so far. It's got a masculine quality that isn't so sweet like the Tobacco Vanilla scent. Much more refined scent. Very masculine. I'll give the product a run tomorrow morning for feedback on the performance.

Posts like this always make my fingers itch to press the buy button. Even though I know in this heat and humidity my hair won't stand up to it. Particularly the oil based stuff. The Private Reserve sounds interesting. Please keep us updated.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Ok, this stuff is very different than I expected. I thought it would be really similar to the standard Red House but with a little more hold. Rather, it's a whole different product with very different ingredients. I would say the only real similarity between Private Reserve and the standard product is the shine is pretty close to the same. Beyond that, whole different products.

The original Red House pomade, in my mind, is like Brylcreem with more hold. It keeps the hair feeling really natural, like a leave in conditioner with a healthy looking sheen. Nothing feels locked in place and it isn't even the least bit greasy. Private Reserve, on the other hand, feels more like a heavy hold oil based pomade. Even with the first scoop I was thinking this. It was hard to get out of the jar compared to other UWB pomades, feeling like an oil based. It took more time rubbing between the palms of my hands to break down like an oil based. It went into my hair feeling like an oil based. Basically, this stuff is a medium-heavy oil based pomade that isn't actually oil based. Smell is great, performance really blurs the line between water based and oil based more than any other UWB I've tried so far.

If I'm being honest, I like the original Red House more than the Private Reserve because of the natural feeling it has in the hair. With that said, Private Reserve is a very interesting product in how much it acts like an oil based product in spite of being water based. I would recommend trying it, especially for those that love oil based pomades. Private Reserve feels like a real grease mixed with a UWB. Good stuff.

IMBW, that is one interesting description and shows how far the brewers have come with water based pomades. Two years ago just about no one would have felt there was a viable water based product that held like a heavy oil based without feeling like sticky jam in your hair. If this one works out well it would certainly be on the radar. Thank you for sharing.

Red House Private Reserve is basically an oil base pomade with water mixed in. Check out the ingredients listed below. I guess you can call it a water base pomade, but seems to me an oil base more so.

Ingredients:

Water
Beeswax
Avocado Oil
Hydrogenated Castor Oil
Carnauba Wax
Vegetable Based Emulsifying Wax
Fragrance
Mango Butter
Microcrystalline Wax
Lanolin
Castor Oil
Stearic Acid
Optiphen Plus

It goes for $16, which is a little cheaper than the other non-petroleum oil base pomades.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Honestly, regular orthodox/gel pomades to me are all so similar that it isn't justifiable to try different ones. They all act like a slightly thicker version of a hair gel and provide some level of helmet hair. I just stick with Unorthodox Water Based or Oul Based now. My last use of regular water based pomade was disappointing as I remembered how similar to hair gel it is.

I'm tempted to purchase Red House Private Reserve. However, I'm not sure if I like the idea of getting a product similar to Brylcreem. I ordered some O'Doud's heavy hold pomade, and I want to get their medium too. Iron Society would be interesting, but I hate the fact that it only comes in 3oz containers, and it's said to be a similar product to O'Doud's, which comes in 4Oz containers for $19 per tin rather than $20 for Iron Society.

Hello, I'm new to pomade. Introduced by my cousin a month ago, it really interest me to try one. Never really interested in styling hairs, my hard to work on hair and my general dislike on hair gels, i tend to just cut my hair with the shortest clip available and done with.
He first introduced me to a local brewed oil based pomade. I tried the softest one, while i quite liked the hold, the smell left alot to desired. Strong fruity smell that after a hot and sweaty day turned into done unpleasant powdery smell.

Then, since the limited choice of pomades here, i decided to look for more mainstreamed brands online. Got my interest piqued by Murray's. The reviews on small batch 50-50 hooked me. Most of it listed as 4/5 hold, 4-5/5 shine. I ordered one, but when i try it, it didn't hold as strong as i expected. Granted i only used a moderately big dab per use every morning, but since that how i use my previous product and my hair is fairly short, i expected that that would be enough. Turned out it didn't.
Today, the fourth day using it, i worked two generous dab to my hair, one at a time. While i got the look i aimed for, the excess pomade on my comb scared me lol. Never got it to be like that before.
So, my question is. Are these small batch the same hold as superior? Should i go to stronger hold products like extra heavy?
Also, how much is the common usage on short wavy hair?
Thank you!

I type butter on mah phon

This is a no-brainer, Go with Murray's Superior or Murray's Xtra heavy. They'll control your hair. There's wax pomades like High Life Heavy and Dax Green and Gold that have a lot of hold. I prefer Murray's because it does the job and it doesn't cost you an arm and a leg like the other HIGHLY overpriced pomades do.

This is a no-brainer, Go with Murray's Superior or Murray's Xtra heavy. They'll control your hair. There's wax pomades like High Life Heavy and Dax Green and Gold that have a lot of hold. I prefer Murray's because it does the job and it doesn't cost you an arm and a leg like the other HIGHLY overpriced pomades do.
thank you. I'll get an xtra heavy then. If it ever too hard to my liking, I'd combine it with the 50-50 :)

I type butter on mah phon

Red House Private Reserve is basically an oil base pomade with water mixed in. Check out the ingredients listed below. I guess you can call it a water base pomade, but seems to me an oil base more so.

Ingredients:

Water
Beeswax
Avocado Oil
Hydrogenated Castor Oil
Carnauba Wax
Vegetable Based Emulsifying Wax
Fragrance
Mango Butter
Microcrystalline Wax
Lanolin
Castor Oil
Stearic Acid
Optiphen Plus

It goes for $16, which is a little cheaper than the other non-petroleum oil base pomades.

It's really more a wax than anything. Very similar to Bees Knees in texture I'm thinking. All the oils and butters will listed are good for your hair with the exception of castor oil imo and I wouldn't worry about leaving it in.

I'd say the best pomade for the budget would be Dax Wave and Groom. It cost me $3 at Sally's Beauty Supply. It works pretty well for me too and comes out of my hair with some Groom and Clean and some shampoo. I've yet to try anything from Murray's other than Murray's Super Light, but I will someday and get back to you guys.

Last edited:
Top Bottom