What's new

The Renaissance of hair pomades & the new Golden Age

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Based smells feminine?! Not sure what kind of incense burning hippies you hang out with but it is anything but feminine :p

It honestly smells like potpourri. I didn't notice it right away, but once somebody pointed it out to me I can no longer smell anything but potpourri when I smell The Based. It smells less like it in the jar, but once you start breaking the product down it smells much more like it, and that is the way it goes into the hair.

As another note, just received a jar of O'Doud's Brewmaster Pomade. Supposed to smell like beer. I can kind of smell the hops in it but it's not a super strong scent. Wondering how it smells once it gets agitated.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Old Spice and Axe products, along with other big name products like American Crew and Redken, are THE reason that I love these newer products. All of their ingredient loaded formulas left my hair dry, frizzy, and unhealthy and most of them actually made my scalp turn red and itchy also because mine is very sensitive. I used to get a lot of painful pimples on my scalp under my hair as well. These all natural unorthodox water based pomades and clays actually make my hair noticeably softer and healthier and my scalp is the healthiest it's been in my entire life. No more redness, no more itching, no more pimples on my scalp. The extra cost is totally worth it to me.

With these products, I don't even need to buy conditioner anymore. Most of them work better than a conditioner by staying in my hair and nourishing it all day long, so I just wash my hair with Castile Soap most of the time unless I feel treating myself with a nice shampoo bar just for the heck of it. The soap is just enough to clean my hair of most of the pomade without stripping it of all oils.

On another note, I've been using O'Doud's "Brewmasters Pomade" Collab for about a week now and it's great stuff. The smell of hops goes away in the jar after about 48 hours of not being scooped out. Once I start rubbing the product between my hands the scent comes out and fills the air and smells like a citrusy, hoppy beer. Best of all, it's easily the best WB so far that I've used when it comes to conditioning. Hair feels INCREDIBLY hydrated after use. The only negative is that it builds up more than other WBs so it takes some work to totally get it out. My solution - I just wash it once and keep the buildup. Doesn't hurt anything, adds a little bit of extra oomph to the next styling whether I use more of the same product or change it up to another one.

This stuff is too expensive. Not worth paying $20 for it.

If you don't care about the thought that goes into a product, the care, the ingredients, the quality of ingredients, then you are right.

There are some great pomades for 15 bucks. I have paid 20 for artisan pomades and I think they are well worth the price.

I only care about how good the pomade is. I don't care too much about thought behind the stuff or how they're trying to save the world. I had some pomade maker tell me that line once. The people I've seen wearing Old Spice pomade didn;'t look good with the product in their hair. I think they would have looked far better with another product. As such, I don't know if I can rate Old Spice as being worth even $7. I see it at the local Albertson's by my house along with TONS of American Crew pomade. You don't see stuff like Murray's, Royal Crown and Dax pomades. Heck, you don't even see Brylcreem anymore, at least I don't. Just the American Crew and Old Spice pomade. I've tried American Crew and it dried out my hair to the point where it looked dead. Just awful stuff.

I only care about how good the pomade is. I don't care too much about thought behind the stuff or how they're trying to save the world. I had some pomade maker tell me that line once. The people I've seen wearing Old Spice pomade didn;'t look good with the product in their hair. I think they would have looked far better with another product. As such, I don't know if I can rate Old Spice as being worth even $7. I see it at the local Albertson's by my house along with TONS of American Crew pomade. You don't see stuff like Murray's, Royal Crown and Dax pomades. Heck, you don't even see Brylcreem anymore, at least I don't. Just the American Crew and Old Spice pomade. I've tried American Crew and it dried out my hair to the point where it looked dead. Just awful stuff.

I've seen Murray's at Albertson's as well as WinCo. The only thing is they are more seemingly female for whatever reason so I rent don't buy despite the lower cost to the Old Spice pomades. I also wouldn't pay $17.99 like some of the more expensive ones. I have had psoriasis in my scalp and Old Spice hasn't caused any flare ups so I am not gonna really rock the boat actually...

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Well, I regret to inform you all that I will not be using any pomades for a few weeks. :sad: Last night I buzzed all of my hair off. I was trying out an undercut style that I didn't really feel was working for me and my head shape and the way it was cut left more hair on one side of the top of my head than the other, kind of like a wide mohawk that was very off-center since it was meant to be combed back and to the side. My options were to buzz it off for free at home by myself or to try to grow the hair back out underneath the top hair and go through some awkward stages before being able to change my style again. I opted for the cheaper and easier option. I buzzed down to a size 4 so it's not too short. Hopefully I'll have just enough hair on top of my head to at least spike or brush to the side in the next 2 weeks.

I guess the bright side here is I'll be able to get by with a lot less product for a while!

I will have to investigate the unorthodox water based products a bit further. Likely it will have to be next fall. We are starting the period of weather here in the middle of the States that does not work very well with pomades. Particularly oil based pomades in finer hair. By June it will be 80-85F(25-30C) and by July and through August to early September it will be 85-105F(30-40) depending upon the day and sometimes the 40C temps can last for a week or two at at time. And our humidity here is nearly as bad as the Gulf states. This is not conducive to good grooming with hair dressings. I am going to do it up like a dandy for church tomorrow morning and then our forecast for next week is mid 80s and a hefty dose of humidity and rain. Your hair will become a sopping mess in that environment.

Tell you what I would love to see though. A line of pomades made with Victorian/Edwardian era scents. Eau de Portugal, Eau de Quinine, Florida Water, and Bois de Violette. Think bitter, sharp, Grey Flannel with the last one but with less of the accompanying adjunct scent compounds. Just a good woody violet. Oil based with an ingredient list like Sweet Georgia Brown for a heavier hold. Maybe the same scent profiles in a lighter oil based for those who like that route. And then an unorthodox water based version.

And more than that, present them in wide mouth glass jars like Yardley of London or Penhaligon's Bayolea. And of course the graphics and lids would reflect the era. I have always said the hair dressing brewers were much more attuned to packaging and presentation than other segments of artisan male toiletries. While I more than applaud the small brewers efforts, to include packaging, it does not take long to get bored with coconut, vanilla, candy, and cedar type scents. It is one of the reasons Railcar Fine Goods original pomade appealed to me. A deep garnet red and an almost floral scent made it must have for me. And I loved the graphics and label art. Now they have changed the artwork and I don't like it nearly as much. I have kept my old jar and may buy more and chuck it in the old one. We are not demanding or obsessed with this stuff are we?

Last edited:
I generally do not use any pomades, mousses, gels or other products ... I just let my hair fall into place naturally.
If I have to use something else to hold it in place, that tells me its time to get a haircut.

I recently discovered something that has made me re-think this policy.
http://www.amazon.com/Jack-Dean-Cla... tonic&qid=1463841407&ref_=sr_1_1_a_it&sr=8-1

Jack Dean Eau de Portugal is a hair tonic that does everything I want ... I can use it everyday and it doesn't make my hair greasy or build up a lot of product. It will clean my hair between shampoos, it gives it a nice shine, and it will hold it in place, even when I want to comb or brush my hair into unnatural positions.

This has a pleasant citrus scent, but they also produce a BayRum version.

Ironically, I thought this was an aftershave when I first ordered it. I got it from shaving.ie and I needed something to toss in the basket so I would meet the Free Shipping threshold. It was only after it arrived I realized it wasn't what I thought it was.

Since this hair-tonic is rather expensive, I dilute it with a No-Rinse shampoo to stretch it out.
http://www.amazon.com/No-Rinse-Sham...d=1463841734&sr=1-2&keywords=no+rinse+shampoo
Both of these together have become a daily part of my grooming routine.

Amazon's price for the Eau de Portugal is much better than shaving.ie, so I will reorder from them in the future.
But Amazon's price for the No-Rinse shampoo is ridiculous, I can get it from my local BX for $1.99.

I will have to investigate the unorthodox water based products a bit further. Likely it will have to be next fall. We are starting the period of weather here in the middle of the States that does not work very well with pomades. Particularly oil based pomades in finer hair. By June it will be 80-85F(25-30C) and by July and through August to early September it will be 85-105F(30-40) depending upon the day and sometimes the 40C temps can last for a week or two at at time. And our humidity here is nearly as bad as the Gulf states. This is not conducive to good grooming with hair dressings. I am going to do it up like a dandy for church tomorrow morning and then our forecast for next week is mid 80s and a hefty dose of humidity and rain. Your hair will become a sopping mess in that environment.

Tell you what I would love to see though. A line of pomades made with Victorian/Edwardian era scents. Eau de Portugal, Eau de Quinine, Florida Water, and Bois de Violette. Think bitter, sharp, Grey Flannel with the last one but with less of the accompanying adjunct scent compounds. Just a good woody violet. Oil based with an ingredient list like Sweet Georgia Brown for a heavier hold. Maybe the same scent profiles in a lighter oil based for those who like that route. And then an unorthodox water based version.

And more than that, present them in wide mouth glass jars like Yardley of London or Penhaligon's Bayolea. And of course the graphics and lids would reflect the era. I have always said the hair dressing brewers were much more attuned to packaging and presentation than other segments of artisan male toiletries. While I more than applaud the small brewers efforts, to include packaging, it does not take long to get bored with coconut, vanilla, candy, and cedar type scents. It is one of the reasons Railcar Fine Goods original pomade appealed to me. A deep garnet red and an almost floral scent made it must have for me. And I loved the graphics and label art. Now they have changed the artwork and I don't like it nearly as much. I have kept my old jar and may buy more and chuck it in the old one. We are not demanding or obsessed with this stuff are we?

:thumbup1:

I enjoyed reading it, really!

Actually I will rock the boat, I did get Murray's Superior Hair Dressing Pomade today while at WinCo. It was about half the price for more ounce wise than the Old Spice Spiffy. Here's to it not hurting my hair...

I'm really excited to buy some pomade that I've been waiting for, but now I can't make up my mind. I really need some help. Has anyone tried Prospector's Crude Oil?

I generally do not use any pomades, mousses, gels or other products ... I just let my hair fall into place naturally.
If I have to use something else to hold it in place, that tells me its time to get a haircut.

I recently discovered something that has made me re-think this policy.
http://www.amazon.com/Jack-Dean-Cla... tonic&qid=1463841407&ref_=sr_1_1_a_it&sr=8-1

Jack Dean Eau de Portugal is a hair tonic that does everything I want ... I can use it everyday and it doesn't make my hair greasy or build up a lot of product. It will clean my hair between shampoos, it gives it a nice shine, and it will hold it in place, even when I want to comb or brush my hair into unnatural positions.

This has a pleasant citrus scent, but they also produce a BayRum version.

Ironically, I thought this was an aftershave when I first ordered it. I got it from shaving.ie and I needed something to toss in the basket so I would meet the Free Shipping threshold. It was only after it arrived I realized it wasn't what I thought it was.

Since this hair-tonic is rather expensive, I dilute it with a No-Rinse shampoo to stretch it out.
http://www.amazon.com/No-Rinse-Sham...d=1463841734&sr=1-2&keywords=no+rinse+shampoo
Both of these together have become a daily part of my grooming routine.

Amazon's price for the Eau de Portugal is much better than shaving.ie, so I will reorder from them in the future.
But Amazon's price for the No-Rinse shampoo is ridiculous, I can get it from my local BX for $1.99.

Pinuad actually makes an Eau du Portugal as well.

I'm on a Pomp's Not Dead OG kick. My most used pomades are Goon Grease, Lockhart's Medium, PND OG, The Based, Rustin Black, and Red House. I use an oil based one week and an UWB pomade the next week. My orthodox WB pomades are collecting dust. I do use Brylcreem when I degrease.

I really want some Tonic Youth from PND now.

Mega, what's your take on the Goon Grease vs. SGB Blue? I can use the latter with ease because it is a very solid 'oil based' pomade. The main ingredient is microcrystalline wax. There are no real free or liquid oils. Anything that has mineral oil or other liquid oils near the top of the list are a no go for me. I could look at Lockhart's site for the list but I am seeking real world user opinions. Thank you.

Goon Grease is pretty good stuff. Has more shine than Sweet Georgia Brown blue. SGB blue is essentially the same stuff as Dax Green and Gold and Murray's Nu Nile. That's a heads up if you want to save on the cost of buying SGB blue. Nu Nile and Green and Gold are the same thing as SGB blue but with more shine, different scent and cheaper price tag. Goon Grease is by far the best product in the Lockhart line. They whiffed on the Lockart's light and medium pomades. Those are not as good. The best stuff from Lockhart's is the Goon Grease and especially the Lockhart's heavy pomade. I have Lockhart's light in my hair today and it's not good stuff. I'm not impressed and never have been with it. I'm just using it up.

Thank you David. I can use the SGB Blue pretty easily. And yes, it does cost more than the others. If you had to break it down further would you say the Goon Grease is like SGB or different in use? Thanks for the heads up about Green and Gold. That is now the second recommendation I have received for it. Will further check into Nu-Nile.

Top Bottom