What's new

The Renaissance of hair pomades & the new Golden Age

Do a base coat of the Murrays Nu-Nile or Original for the Hold. Then apply a light layer of the Murrays Hair Glo for a super high hold, high shine combo.

I have rather light hair, which lets me use "toppers" as my base. Part of the reason I swear by Ruezel Green is the high hold and good shine combo.

I have had little success doing that. I have used dax short and neat ad a topper but it weakens my hold quite significantly. I suspect they do mix and weaken the wax contents

Even Reuzel Pink doesn't control my hair that well. SGB Blue and King Brown are my favorites so far.

Try Rumble 59 Schmiere Hart pomade. Some seriously heavy duty hold. But I find it easier to work in and remove then SGB. Definitely better then King Brown.

Honestly, I was super let down by the King Brown. I find it has a lackluster hold, very poor styling ability, and in the summer months it just melts out of your hair. The only thing I really like is the scent. But other then that was overall let down by King Brown. Rumble 59's Schmiere line, and the Rezuels on the other hand have been excellent for me.

Today i tried a new combo. 2 fingers of murrays superior to pin down my hair and one layer of dax short and neat for a classic side part with a wet look.

I have just been to the barber to refresh my cut and it looks very neat and tidy.

What do you guys think?
proxy.php

Last edited:
Hey Fasa,

go light with the Murray's Superior, and forget about the topper. If you're going to use topper, go very, very light. I would focus on using Dax Green and Gold or Dax Wave and Groom without topper. Use one or two finger fulls only. Go light with that stuff. Brylcreem is also an option if used in combination with Green and Gold but not with Wave and Groom. It might break down Wave and Groom due to the mineral oil content. You need volume. The lighter pomades will weigh down your hair and not look good on you.

I think you definitely look better with Sweet Georgia Brown Blue and Wave and Groom. Those are better pomades for you. Just don't overdo it. No more than two finger fulls of those fine pomades. More isn't better.

If you need to wash your hair every night, the use mineral oil to wash out the pomade if you want it out. I usually degrease once a week with mineral oil. A lot of the pomades comes out in the shower anyway. The lanolin and wax tend to stay in.

Last edited:
$lanolin.jpg

This is good stuff too. It's a lot like Dax Wave and Groom. It's a volume builder, and yeah, it's similar to how difficult it is to remove. Mineral oil will take it out weekly, daily or whenever. This stuff is like gold.

Fasa,

other good pomades for your hair would be from the following:

High Life Heavy pomade
Lockhart's Heavy
Voodoo Brew I or II
Lockhart's Goon Grease
Pomps Not Dead Firmage
Pomps Not Dead Daily Grind
Dax Green and Gold

The thing with using these pomades is to use just a little. I would experriment by starting off with 1 finger full for my hair, and then go from there. One might be enough. This stuff is heavier than Murray's Superior, so not much is needed.

Last edited:
Fasa,

High Life Heavy pomade
Lockhart's Heavy
Voodoo Brew I or II
Lockhart's Goon Grease
Pomps Not Dead Firmage
Dax Green and Gold

The thing with using these pomades is to use just a little. I would experriment by starting off with 1 finger full for my hair, and then go from there. One might be enough. This stuff is heavier than Murray's Superior, so not much is needed.

Nice list:thumbup:
@skypsyd

Fasa,

High Life Heavy pomade
Lockhart's Heavy
Voodoo Brew I or II
Lockhart's Goon Grease
Pomps Not Dead Firmage
Dax Green and Gold

Thanks i saved that list on my buy list ! You don't seem to thing murray's superior is for me ?

I think i ll stick with 1 finger as it gave me the best result. 2 is too much for my hair....

Thanks i saved that list on my buy list ! You don't seem to thing murray's superior is for me ?

I think i ll stick with 1 finger as it gave me the best result. 2 is too much for my hair....

Fasa,

definitely keep using Murray's Superior. That stuff is so great. Just use less and leave out the topper. Murray's is my personal favorite pomade. I would still definitely experiment with wax pomades and use Dax Wave and Groom. We have two pomades that look good in your hair right now with Sweet George Brown Blue and Dax W&G.. Now we need to see how your hair looks with wax pomades. It's going to be interesting to see if that looks even better. SGB Blue is waxy but nothing like the ones from my list. The weight of those tins are heavy compared to other pomades. You can feel the weight of the wax. It's impressive.

King Brown is definitely GREAT pomade. I like that pomade a lot. I also like Uppercut Monster Hold. I think those are both Australian pomades. I left them off my list due to the high price of each of them.

Thanks, John! I threw together a quick list of some of my all time favorite heavies. I left out some nice ones like Dr. Rubin's Firm hold, Uppercut Monster Hold and King Brown. Those are all great as well. After using light pomades for a week, I really appreciate heavy hold pomades now that I'm back to using them.

[MENTION=108930]David157[/MENTION] 1 finger of dax wave and groom on slightly damp hair.

I think this the right amount for me
proxy.php

Top Bottom