O'Doud's Light Hold

Water-Based:
Layrite Deluxe
Layrite Super Hold
Layrite Super Shine
Anchor Hair Co. Teddy Boy Original
Daimon Barber No. 1
Railcar Fine Goods Standard Hold

Comparison between Daimon Barber #1 and Railcar Standard Hold, please?

I just got them in this week so I don't have too much experience with either yet (or pomades in general). I'm sure others could do a more in-depth review. The fragrance in the Daimon Barber is more subtle, as is the hold. No crunchiness. I really like the smell of the Railcar. I style my hair with a hard part comb over and don't need a lot of height, but everything has stayed in place for the most part.

I just got them in this week so I don't have too much experience with either yet (or pomades in general). I'm sure others could do a more in-depth review. The fragrance in the Daimon Barber is more subtle, as is the hold. No crunchiness. I really like the smell of the Railcar. I style my hair with a hard part comb over and don't need a lot of height, but everything has stayed in place for the most part.

Thank you! I just have used Daimon Barber #1 for now and like it a lot. Thinking of trying Railcar (and others) as well as oil based pomades.

Juan, I will try to explain Railcar vs Daimon #1 as best I can. Others will surely want to add their opinions.

Railcar; More gel like than Daimon. This should NOT be taken to say it is a gel or behaves like one. It does not. It is just that it is somewhat translucent like a gel. When you first dig some out of the jar it kind of feels like a gel but the moment you start spreading it in your hair if feels like it relaxes. That is the only way I know to describe it. After you start working it into your hair it starts to thicken up a bit again. It is easily to comb or brush in and gives you a few minutes to style it well. It will definitely set after a few minutes but will allow combing and brushing. It will lose it's shine if you do so though I don't crave extra shine anyway. It will remain a bit pliable though the day.

Daimon #1. This one is odd to me. It goes on more like a cream. At least it feels that way to me. It is not a cream in the jar. It is a thick consistency like any other water based pomade but is not semi transparent like Railcar. For lack of a better description, it is 'oilier' than Railcar but certainly not oily since it is water based. It goes on a like a dream. Very easy to spread and comb in. Hold is not as strong as Railcar. At least not in my hair. And my hair looks darker and wetter than with Railcar. Mind, I have sandy blonde hair so these things make more difference. Dark hair would likely see little to no difference in shine with these two.

Scent. Different as night and day. Railcar is a clean, springlike floral note and an absolute favourite. Daimon #1 smells exactly as described. A waxy vanilla scent that is VERY good. I like the scent a lot. It is not the typical sweet food-like vanilla some scents give off.

For me the winner is Railcar just for texture and grooming in MY hair. Daimon #1 has a large following of fans so don't let anything I have said be a negative. Think of it this way; Railcar shows more of a gel heritage(it is not a hardening gel though) with great hold, while Daimon is a bit more pomade like with medium hold. Each will allow re-combing later in the day but Railcar shows more difference in its loss of shine.

I have Type 550 Extra Firm en route to me. It should get here on Friday. I'll make sure that my crazy night shift schedule doesn't let me sleep past 5 on that day so that way I can get to the apartment office in time to pick up the package.

II was out shopping at an out of town mall and came across an afro carribean hair stylist. In the back of the racks was stored Dax red, blue and green. Sweet Georgia water based pomade,360 pomade and one in a tube I'd never heard of called Top brass. Looked real old but there were plenty of tubes. Couldn't buy as cash only and I was spent out on swmbo birthday presents. I plan to go back on Saturday the splurge.

Last edited:
Juan, I will try to explain Railcar vs Daimon #1 as best I can. Others will surely want to add their opinions.

Railcar; More gel like than Daimon. This should NOT be taken to say it is a gel or behaves like one. It does not. It is just that it is somewhat translucent like a gel. When you first dig some out of the jar it kind of feels like a gel but the moment you start spreading it in your hair if feels like it relaxes. That is the only way I know to describe it. After you start working it into your hair it starts to thicken up a bit again. It is easily to comb or brush in and gives you a few minutes to style it well. It will definitely set after a few minutes but will allow combing and brushing. It will lose it's shine if you do so though I don't crave extra shine anyway. It will remain a bit pliable though the day.

Daimon #1. This one is odd to me. It goes on more like a cream. At least it feels that way to me. It is not a cream in the jar. It is a thick consistency like any other water based pomade but is not semi transparent like Railcar. For lack of a better description, it is 'oilier' than Railcar but certainly not oily since it is water based. It goes on a like a dream. Very easy to spread and comb in. Hold is not as strong as Railcar. At least not in my hair. And my hair looks darker and wetter than with Railcar. Mind, I have sandy blonde hair so these things make more difference. Dark hair would likely see little to no difference in shine with these two.

Scent. Different as night and day. Railcar is a clean, springlike floral note and an absolute favourite. Daimon #1 smells exactly as described. A waxy vanilla scent that is VERY good. I like the scent a lot. It is not the typical sweet food-like vanilla some scents give off.

For me the winner is Railcar just for texture and grooming in MY hair. Daimon #1 has a large following of fans so don't let anything I have said be a negative. Think of it this way; Railcar shows more of a gel heritage(it is not a hardening gel though) with great hold, while Daimon is a bit more pomade like with medium hold. Each will allow re-combing later in the day but Railcar shows more difference in its loss of shine.

Thanks, Todd. A most helpful post!

I've been using DB for 2/3 weeks now and like it a lot. I will definitely try Railcar! I have dark brown hair...

Last edited:
I have been using Damian Barber for a couple of weeks now I really like it but I just made another big order I want to make sure I don't miss anything. I am a water based guy so will be getting in a few this week.

I have Damian Barber #1
Dapper Dan and Murrays original right now

Have Slick Devil, Railcar standard hold, Suavecito original hold, Reuzel, and Layrite deluxe coming in this week will update after I have used them a little.

I have been using Damian Barber for a couple of weeks now I really like it but I just made another big order I want to make sure I don't miss anything. I am a water based guy so will be getting in a few this week.

I have Damian Barber #1
Dapper Dan and Murrays original right now

Have Slick Devil, Railcar standard hold, Suavecito original hold, Reuzel, and Layrite deluxe coming in this week will update after I have used them a little.

Please, keep us posted on how you like them!

I have a very basic set up, and both pomades are water based.

I'm using Woody's Pomade and Imperial barber fiber pomade. Both work very well in my hair, with the Imp.barber having a slightly hard hold, and the woody's offering a more pliable texture. Both are great medium hold pomades and wash out easily as expected.

One thing I have noticed is that the fiber pomade (which smells like watermelon bubblegum) seems to work better for me on a fresh haircut, where as Woody's works well with shorter or longer hair.

I'm pretty new to the art of pomadery. Being in the military, my hair has always been really short. Lately I've been letting it grow as much as I can while staying within regs. I've picked up a couple of tins (Shiner Gold and Schmiere) and have tried the barber's selection (Suavecito, Woody's). All are good for me. Recently I picked up some Axe Pomade to stick in my locker on base. I have to say that for less than half the price of others, it performs on par. It gives my hair good hold with a medium shine (my preference) and decent restyle ability throughout the day. Is this heresy? I love a good pomade that doesn't give you helmet hair, but $25-$30 is a bit much for me. Any recommendations for a quality pomade that won't break the bank?

I'm pretty new to the art of pomadery. Being in the military, my hair has always been really short. Lately I've been letting it grow as much as I can while staying within regs. I've picked up a couple of tins (Shiner Gold and Schmiere) and have tried the barber's selection (Suavecito, Woody's). All are good for me. Recently I picked up some Axe Pomade to stick in my locker on base. I have to say that for less than half the price of others, it performs on par. It gives my hair good hold with a medium shine (my preference) and decent restyle ability throughout the day. Is this heresy? I love a good pomade that doesn't give you helmet hair, but $25-$30 is a bit much for me. Any recommendations for a quality pomade that won't break the bank?

I'm assuming you're referring to water based only?

Recently I picked up some Axe Pomade to stick in my locker on base. I have to say that for less than half the price of others, it performs on par. It gives my hair good hold with a medium shine (my preference) and decent restyle ability throughout the day. Is this heresy? I love a good pomade that doesn't give you helmet hair, but $25-$30 is a bit much for me. Any recommendations for a quality pomade that won't break the bank?

I've been recommending the Axe pomade (purple jar) for anyone looking for a cost-effective locally found pomade. Love the stuff! I would say that when people mention Suavecito they also mention Layrite. I like Layrite more than Suavecito because it doesn't harden as much but there's a great amount of hold and control.

For anyone wanting to try any of the Lockhart's pomades (such as Goon Grease) I decided to grab some and join the "street team". It gave me a 5% off code to share around, not much obviously but hey every penny counts.

STREETTEAM5

Gentleman, is there any kind of light hold, low shine pomade ? I have this brownish hair and too much shine makes it look dirty.

Top Bottom