What's new

The Renaissance of hair pomades & the new Golden Age

Great post, Marco! I have an affection for traditional style of the older generation of gentlemen. My father-in-law is in his 70's and had come to Canada from Italy in his mid twenties. He still wears a tie in the evening, even if only taking a walk with my mother-in-law. The men on my mother's side (uncles, older cousins) also do this. It's interesting how tradition can survive generations.

I was wondering, gentlemen, could someone suggest a particular pomade for me. I have a full head of rather straight hair. I wear it loosely parted on the side and swept over (business style, I'm told). My hair is a dark grey and appears to look better with a shine. I prefer water based pomades. I'm currently using Imperial Barber Classic, which I like, but would like to hear if there's a more appropriate product out there for my hair.

If you like a shinier look, I've had great luck with Layrite Super Shine. Only drawback would be the smell - it's kind of like chalk to my nose.
I've also heard good things about Railcar Finegoods.
Both are water based pomades.

Thanks for the post Marco. I'm currently standing on the edge, working up the courage to dive into the world of pomades. So far, I've worked through a few of the American Crew offerings, which were just ok. Currently, I'm using the Suavecito Original and like it very much. I'm more into the less shine and less hard like gel look. I've been waiting to buy my next tub of either oil or water based pomade until I finally settle on one I want. I should just bite the bullet and order something, but I'm always nervous about getting something I won't like.

Update to my last post. I went ahead and got 3 different pomades to try. Just placed my order for the King Brown (yellow), Layrite Deluxe, and the Rumble 59 Schmiere Wanderlust. Figured that there's no time like the present to try and create another collection. Look forward to seeing how they all perform and compare with one another.

If you like a shinier look, I've had great luck with Layrite Super Shine. Only drawback would be the smell - it's kind of like chalk to my nose.
I've also heard good things about Railcar Finegoods.
Both are water based pomades.

Thanks, Adam. I've been looking at Layrite Super. I don't want a strongly scented pomade, but I may end up trying it based on its reputable performance.

Uppercut Super Deluxe is my favorite water based pomade so far. Scent is good and I consider it to be middle of the road in terms of strength.

I really wanna try that Crown Shaving Co. Hippie Killer Pomade. But I just bought a jar of Bumble & Bumble Sumotech. Maybe when that's gone.

Thanks, Derek. How's the shine with Uppercut Deluxe? Can you compare it to Imperial Barber Classic?

I haven't used imperial barber classic (it's been on the wish list for awhile), but uppercut deluxe has moderate shine. It won't give you the wet/slick/shiny look.

The picture in this review captures it pretty well:

http://pomadeview.com/uppercut-deluxe-pomade/

Scent is a nice vanilla/caramel/(apparently coconut from that review???)

Side note, my next pomade will be Shiner Psycho Hold.

Last edited:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Great post, Marco! I have an affection for traditional style of the older generation of gentlemen. My father-in-law is in his 70's and had come to Canada from Italy in his mid twenties. He still wears a tie in the evening, even if only taking a walk with my mother-in-law. The men on my mother's side (uncles, older cousins) also do this. It's interesting how tradition can survive generations.

I was wondering, gentlemen, could someone suggest a particular pomade for me. I have a full head of rather straight hair. I wear it loosely parted on the side and swept over (business style, I'm told). My hair is a dark grey and appears to look better with a shine. I prefer water based pomades. I'm currently using Imperial Barber Classic, which I like, but would like to hear if there's a more appropriate product out there for my hair.

Jason, Layrite Super Shine is a Light/Medium Hold water based pomade with a lot of shine. You can use it alone if the hold is enough for your liking or as a cover to another water based pomade with more hold, if this is what you are looking for.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Uppercut Super Deluxe is my favorite water based pomade so far. Scent is good and I consider it to be middle of the road in terms of strength.

Thanks, Derek. How's the shine with Uppercut Deluxe? Can you compare it to Imperial Barber Classic?

Uppercut Deluxe is one of favourite water based pomades and has everything I love in a pomade: soft consistency (which makes it easy to apply, style and comb), Strong Hold and medium shine. Also, it has a nice, sweet caramel scent that I adore and find very barbershop-type. Uppercut Deluxe is very, very close in terms of quality and performance to Admiral Strong, which is another winner for me.

I really wanna try that Crown Shaving Co. Hippie Killer Pomade. But I just bought a jar of Bumble & Bumble Sumotech. Maybe when that's gone.

I'm liking the Crown shaving AS balm and splash. Really, really nice products. I made a post a while back looking for anyone who has used the Hippie Killer Pomade. I sent an email to Crown Shaving Co. asking about the HKP and was told that it has medium/firm hold with a medium shine.

I'm liking the Crown shaving AS balm and splash. Really, really nice products. I made a post a while back looking for anyone who has used the Hippie Killer Pomade. I sent an email to Crown Shaving Co. asking about the HKP and was told that it has medium/firm hold with a medium shine.

I'll have to refrain from any purchases at the moment. I have too much as it is. But Crown Shaving Co. will be getting my business at some point in the future. I want to try two or three of their products actually. A member here just posted that he purchased the pomade and is awaiting it's arrival. I'm looking forward to his review.

I'll have to refrain from any purchases at the moment. I have too much as it is. But Crown Shaving Co. will be getting my business at some point in the future. I want to try two or three of their products actually. A member here just posted that he purchased the pomade and is awaiting it's arrival. I'm looking forward to his review.

I'll await the review. Always good to get a user's opinion.

Favorite Pomade is Uppercut Deluxe , a water base . Great hold and excellent scent. Some shine. Never gets hard.
Curious if the other Uppercut products (Monster Hold) have a similar texture being oil based or if they are harder consistency like Iron Society? Anyone have experience with Uppercut Deluxe?

Will likely try the Lockhart's Goon Grease, as it sounds nice based upon Marco's description.Thanks!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Marco, excellent article :thumbup1:.

Just curious what type of pomade works best for super fine hair?

Brad, I think super fine hair should need a good Medium/Strong or Strong Hold since they don't have any hold at all on their own. People with thick, coarse hair can opt for a Light or Light/Medium Hold because of the consistency and body of their hair. Now the questions are: what hair style do you wear or would like to wear? How much shine do you prefer? Are you more inclined to a water based or an oil based, or simply try both? Would you like a pomade that is easy to apply, style and comb?

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Favorite Pomade is Uppercut Deluxe , a water base . Great hold and excellent scent. Some shine. Never gets hard.
Curious if the other Uppercut products (Monster Hold) have a similar texture being oil based or if they are harder consistency like Iron Society? Anyone have experience with Uppercut Deluxe?

Will likely try the Lockhart's Goon Grease, as it sounds nice based upon Marco's description.Thanks!

Sir, I have the Monster Hold and it's a completely different product compared to the Deluxe. The consistency of the Monster Hold is very hard and to me requires a lot of time and energy to apply and style properly. Not my cup of tea. Also, I think it should be described as a wax, not a pomade.

Top Bottom