What's new

Silver Blues an Appreciation

Shortly after I discovered BnB, someone posted there would soon be no more Gillette Silver Blues. I had never tried them, but in a panic, I ordered 100. I tried them, and, meh. I put them away, PIFing a tuck here and there. Now with a lot more practice under my belt, I've been re-trying blades.

And, gosh darn it, I really like them. :thumbup:

Right now, I use several combinations. I love my new UFO Titan handle. I'm using it with a Gillette New SC head (although I will have a re-plated New Brit soon). This is relatively mild, so I've used a Feather. But, my tremors have grown worse. I tried the Silver Blues. It's almost as sharp as the Feather, yet nicely forgiving. I love them.

My other regular is either a Joris, or a Fatip/Pendragon combo (and the occasional Gillette Old Type Thin Top Cap). These are more aggressive, and I have a lot of trouble with Feathers lately. Now I alternate Med Preps and Silver Blues. There's another 100 of those little jewels waiting for me when I get home Friday. :thumbup1:

I'm glad you're enjoying them! How many shaves are you able to manage per blade?

Using my FaTip Grande, I've managed four BBS shaves with a Gillette Silver Blue, and I'll attempt a fifth come Friday. When that blade finally expires, I'll load up a Gillette Black in the FaTip Grande and see how far that will take me. :)

Your face made a great choice! I have several hundred Silver Blues on hand, as I find them to be as good as my beloved Astra blades. Maybe better, depending on my mood, but that is a double edged sword... The important thing is that you figured out that faces and blades indeed require an adjustment period, and it is always worth the time to revisit various blades as your skill and comfort rises.

It becomes much easier to divine the differences that various blades offer you after you spend some time getting your part down pat....

LOL, you have arrived!

Shortly after I discovered BnB, someone posted there would soon be no more Gillette Silver Blues. I had never tried them, but in a panic, I ordered 100.
True story!
This is how I got Voskhod the other day when someone said they were going to disappear from the market. :lol:

I have 600, purchased in the fear that the beloved blades would go the way of the the Gillette Platinum. Other blades may be "better," but I like these the best.

GSB's are my top blades as well. Chadao, you must be a gentleman of discriminating and well-refined taste.

I just used a Silver Blue today, all I have to say is, Wow. Just wow.

I have light growth and don't have much difficulty with most blades. I can make many such as Derby and Dorco work quite well. But this was something else. It cut better and more smoothly for me than Astras or Personna Blue Labs and yet allowed me as much if not more capacity to buff and redo rough spots as Derby. In fact the only tiny nick I got was from my over-eagerness to reach BBS after just 2 passes. On the third I got careless near the chin. Even so, no bleeders and no irritation from alum block or witch hazel. They only lose out on price to my usual Shark SS, Astras, or Personnas. But they'll definitely be in my rotation. Also need to compare to the Rapiras I have just received.

The next blade I try. I am thiiiiiis close to settling on three favs, 100 each, so I can forget about blade choice, but all I've read tells me, "Not so fast: try Silver Blues."

I just placed an order for my first 100 count pack of blades and my choice was (***drum roll***): Gillette Silver Blues

They were in my sample mix and I really like them. Decided to get some more off Amazon: 100 for $20.99.

How many shaves do you get from a GSB? I typically do 2 passes & minor touch up. I am hoping for 3 shaves per blade.

I shave really lightly, and get four to five shaves with a GSB - minimum. Usually, I use a blade for about a week.

I have 600 of the blades. So far.

If I can get a blade a week - that will be awesome. My "cost savings" vs. cartridges can be applied to buying more creams, soaps, pre-shaves, aftershaves, brushes, bowls, stands, razors...

Last edited:
I usually stop at 3 shaves, but in can keep going with GSB. I discard when I hit the road. I don't travel with a blade in my razor.

More GSB love. Even though I get my closest shave with a Feather, my tremors are such I can't use them anymore. Now I'm almost exclusively GSB and Personna Med Prep, with the emphasis on GSB. Just ordered another 100. :thumbup:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I recently tried a GSB for the first time and absolutely loved it. It was the best shave I'd had to that point.

TL

I finished shave #6 with my first GSB yesterday, and it was a close and smooth as the first. I routinely get five from my previous best blade (Gillette 7 O'Clock black.) Rapira Platinum Lux is about equal to either performance wise, but I only get three shaves from those.

It's all subjective. If you have good technique, you'll get a good shave with almost any blade. That said...GSB gets a disproportionate amount of love.

I really need to give those a try one day ... How do they compare to psi ?

Picked up a couple of packs of 5 just to round up an online order to get free shipping. They sat in the drawer for a while.

Finally tried them and found them to be quite excellent. Decided to pick up 50 more. Still have lots of Feathers, so I'll alternate them with the Merkurs every once in a while.

On the cheaper end, still have about 25 Astra SPs left from my initial DE foray. They are decent. Still have a big box of Derbys. Not sure what to do with them.

Top Bottom