What's new

TOBS Lavendar

I know, I was surprised by just how much I disliked the stuff. It honestly is in a box under the sink. But I am glad that guys seem to like it.

I'm sort of "eh" over their rose cream as well. So I've been neglecting unfairly my tub of TOBS Grapefruit. Oh, my, what a mistake. My shave last night was fabulous. The cream made the best lather imaginable. Nice scent, no dye.

I've read in a couple places that it's on a base of some different scents, including patchouli? (someone correct me if I'm wrong) so it does have undertones of other fragrances.

According to the label on my tub, the only scenting agent in the cream is lavender essential oil - specifically lavandula angustifolia, which is true English lavender. The thing about lavender oil, though, is that it can vary widely in scent and quality, depending upon a number of factors, such as the variety of plant used (sometimes the oil is just labeled as lavender, but could be from any number of varieties), the quality of extraction, or even things as esoteric as the quality of the soil or the quality of weather in the harvest year. They all should be recognizable as lavender, much the same way fermented grape juice can be recognized as wine. But within that broad category, the more subtle differences can be substantial.

According to the label on my tub, the only scenting agent in the cream is lavender essential oil - specifically lavandula angustifolia, which is true English lavender. The thing about lavender oil, though, is that it can vary widely in scent and quality, depending upon a number of factors, such as the variety of plant used (sometimes the oil is just labeled as lavender, but could be from any number of varieties), the quality of extraction, or even things as esoteric as the quality of the soil or the quality of weather in the harvest year. They all should be recognizable as lavender, much the same way fermented grape juice can be recognized as wine. But within that broad category, the more subtle differences can be substantial.
Thank you for the very interesting information about the variables in lavender essential oils. My problem with TOBS cream might be explained by this. The trouble is the it bears NO RESEMBLANCE to the familiar lavender-flower aroma. I see now that I maybe just got a lousy tub. But nothing excuses that color!

I see now that I maybe just got a lousy tub.

Maybe, or it could be Taylor's just isn't using the highest-quality oil. The stuff I have does smell like lavender, but I wouldn't classify it as particularly high quality.

I once spoke to Andrew French, head of Castle Forbes, and he told me that he contracts with lavender oil producers who grow their own plants, from which they extract their own oil - sort of an "estate" type of operation. This is in contrast with the bulk of oil producers, who obtain plants from any number of growers to produce oil en masse. French was of the opinion that the estate-grown and produced oil was of higher quality, due to better quality control and care in crafstmanship. If the scent of his cream is any indication, he may be right. I have yet to smell another lavender cream that is as potent or as high-quality in lavender scent as Castle Forbes.

Maybe, or it could be Taylor's just isn't using the highest-quality oil. The stuff I have does smell like lavender, but I wouldn't classify it as particularly high quality.

I once spoke to Andrew French, head of Castle Forbes, and he told me that he contracts with lavender oil producers who grow their own plants, from which they extract their own oil - sort of an "estate" type of operation. This is in contrast with the bulk of oil producers, who obtain plants from any number of growers to produce oil en masse. French was of the opinion that the estate-grown and produced oil was of higher quality, due to better quality control and care in crafstmanship. If the scent of his cream is any indication, he may be right. I have yet to smell another lavender cream that is as potent or as high-quality in lavender scent as Castle Forbes.

This makes a lot of sense actually. I defiantly am not an expert on oils, but I can imagine that this would potentially be the cause of the scent.

In regards to the dye, I used my TOBS this morning, and I thought how funny I would look if the lather held that colour!

Had a totally enjoyable shave this afternoon with a sample of Taylor's Lavender cream.
Great scent, strong but not overwhelming.
Super lather, held up well, good slickness.
Not as thick as TOBS avocado or CF or some others, which is actually OK for a straight razor shave.
Lather rinses off easily from blade but leaves a smooth, thin glycerin layer on the skin.
Overall, really nice stuff!

$TOBS lavender electric rubberset vintage aqua velva april 16 2015.jpg

Thanks for the post. I got started on an AoS Lavender kit. The cream is running out and I do not want to pay AoS prices to replentish. In addition to other standby products like lavender Herbs of Bulgaria, I bought a TOBS lavender tub, which is the same volume as AoS but lower price and without the deceiving false-bottom packaging. It's good to know I am in for a treat when I break the seal.

TOBS Lavender was my first cream, bought unsmelled over the internet. I hated it for months. Now, its grown on me.
Scents are funny that way. I really liked TOBS lemon lime at first, now I don't.
Both are good performers. I really don't care about the colour. Sure its gimmicky, but you don't notice it once its in your mug or on your mug, as it were.

Top Bottom