What's new

EJ89L Vs. Muhle R41

I changed my mind about a future razor purchase. I'm coming from straights.

Should I get the Edwin Jagger DE89L? Or take a chance and try the Muhle R41?

I sold all my Des a while ago, and I'm looking to make a return.

Anyone who has both care to comment on the differences between them?

Thanks.

I have the Muhle R89 (basically same as the EJ 89) and the R41 2013 and 2011 version

The R41 is much much much more aggressive. You will be getting a closer shave with it. If you have sensitive skin I would go with he 89.

I've never tried an aggressive DE. I did love my straights but they had to go for other reasons.

I'm intrigued by this r41 business.

I say go the middle way, i.e.: Open Comb, but not the R41. The Chef suggests Razorock Jaws, Gillette vintage long comb or short comb.

While I haven't tried the R41 myself, I've seen plenty of contenders on this site throw in the towel on that one. I have tried the Little Bastogne from Razorock and I'm using an Otto Roth (Gillette) open comb, and they provide a shave that in my opinion is incomparable, thus far in the journey. And that's based on direct experience from the EJ89 I just used 2 hours ago.

I find the often quoted aggressiveness of the (2013) R41 overstated.

If I use a DE, I reach for my R41 with either a Astra or Feather blade in it and it gives me smooth comfortable shaves.

Coming from a straight, you should have no difficulties.

B.

I find the often quoted aggressiveness of the (2013) R41 overstated.

If I use a DE, I reach for my R41 with either a Astra or Feather blade in it and it gives me smooth comfortable shaves.

Coming from a straight, you should have no difficulties.

B.

I'll take you up on it. Shave every day?

I remember seeing your epic laptop-fueled purge on the BST. I dunno man... after seeing all the stuff you had around before, I feel like the DE89 would bore you pretty quickly. I wouldn't go back and change it out as my starter razor or anything -- it's nice, it's smooth, it's forgiving, and it looks really good in your bathroom -- but I didn't feel like I lost too much when I made the switch to vintage DEs. Worth experiencing, but I think you'd appreciate the challenge that I've seen the R41 present a lot of other shavers, especially since your coming from straights (not that I have experience with either).

Night and day.

One is on the milder end of the scale and the other is The Beast.

'nuff said ... :tongue_sm

+1

Personally, I would go with a Weber as it is an all-stainless steel DE which would keep your straights company and it is a bit more aggressive than the EJ89. However, either one would do if you need a break from straights, occasionally! Good luck.

I really like both.......I can get great shaves with both, but it takes more time and passes with the 89. The 41 has become my primary razer, but it will bite you if you get careless.

Top Bottom