What's new

How many follow a splash with a balm?

I've always been a splash guy, but I picked up a few RazoRock milks for RazoRocktober. It turns out I really like them! I never thought to use more than one aftershave product, but today I used Captain's Choice Cat O'Nine Tails and followed it with SCS Bay Rum with a Twist, and I loved it! I could still feel the CO9t burn, but the milk left my face feeling great, and the scents complemented each other nicely.

Who else does this, and what combinations do you use? This could be a whole new wintertime thing!

As a matter of fact I've tried it every day this week-first time ever. It's a pretty good process-I definitely feel the difference in a good way

I always follow a splash with Nivea Sensitive ASB. My skin can get pretty dry, so it's kind of a necessity for me, but I can't imagine a shave without a nice smelling finish. So, splash and balm for me.

Generally I use a moisturizer with sunscreen in the morning, after the splash. I'll use a balm after night shaves or a particularly irritating shave. QCS makes my favorite balm. I like RR AS Wax a lot, too.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Never. I don't much care for balms and also wouldn't want to chance changing the scent of my splash.

Like many others I like to follow a splash with Nivea Sensitive Balm. The Nivea's scent is so light and unobtrusive . It works really well.

Oh, yeah, all the time. I try to keep the AS splash and balm within one family of fragrance. Works like a champ. I do need the extra protection, as I live right on the beach. Oh, I also use Geo. F. Trumper Coral Skin Food every day, shave day or not.

Most of the time I mix Nivea Sensitive balm and the aftershave together in my hand, then apply. This negates the burn and leaves my face moisturized. Plus you get the lovely scent of the aftershave.

OP, do the scents from the Milk last a good while for you?

444 is a real nice balm to follow after a splash. A pea sized amount with a few drops of splash will suffice. It's unscented and contains menthol and glycerin. It seems to play nice with all my AS.

Last edited:
OP, do the scents from the Milk last a good while for you?

In my limited experience, they do. They've been a really pleasant surprise. In general, I don't expect any of my aftershaves to hang around for a long time. I'll use EDT for that.

I usually use both. I like to get scent from the splash and prefer not to have much scent in the balm. However, I recently tried GFT Coral Skin Food and really liked the performance and scent.

Splash of witch hazel and before it dries some aqueous cream. Has a great effect. Not sure what's going on though;iI suspect the aqueous cream is locking the witch hazel in somehow.
Well worth a try.

Now that winter is getting close and it is starting to dry out, my ritual changed from following my Clinique for Men Scruffing Solution splash (basically a Witch-hazel Toner) with an A/S splash, to using AdP A/S Balm which is more of a milk.

I always do: any splash + 444 aftershave balm, though I have never tried the technique with a different balm.

Top Bottom