What's new

People Who join Just For PIF's And Nothing Else.

I don't enter PIF givaways because I don't "need" anything but I can understand the desire of some to grab a freebie when they can. It doesn't matter what the item(s), offer one for free and a line will form. I guess my cold-hearted response is if you do't want to be taken don't put yourself out there. To those who don't mind the occasional greedy grabber I thank you on behalf of those who need what you're offering..

I was on another forum and during the PIF month a guy with the same username as on another forum kept entering. 16 PIFs. His first post ever was a PIF entry. And every post after that. When the requirements where "open to someone who has never owned a vintage razor" he would enter them. Now, I know for a fact he owned some. Pretty shameless. Fortunately, he didn't win any and I haven't seen him recently.

I make it a point to screen people out like that and check their previous posts.

A different PIF freeloader, on that other shaving forum, had the gall to get mad at me for making various guard against this during my PIFs. He demanded he enter despite not meeting more than one requirement. I ignored his entry posts until he insisted, I then told him in pictures without a word-- I posted a screenshot of his recent posts, which for months, where nothing but PIF entries. He figuratively stormed out of the forum claiming he was treated unfairly and badmouthing the entire forum. Entitled much?

My point is that people like that exist. They are called psychopaths and one out of every hundred people have these tendencies. Add the narcissists and other similar people and they can't help but sometimes be our brothers, coworkers, bosses in which we don't have a choice but to coexist with them but if I had a choice I'd rather not.

If it is true, it's a shame. I'm not sure if there's a deterrent for that behavior, but it breathes some integrity into out principles

As long as there is generosity, there will be people taking advantage of it. It is sad, but truth.

on a lighter note, "I'm in!" comment won the internet for me today. hahaha.

I'm new to the community. I have no idea what I'm doing. This is both the reason I joined and the reason I'm quite quiet on the forum with the exception of a couple of questions.

The real commodity of this community is the shared knowledge and that is given out freely despite the potential for the recipient of that information to use said knowledge for shaving evil as opposed to shaving good. The concept is the same with pifs.

Never let the intentions of a recipient dissuade you from committing an act of kindness.

Also, I too, am in!

I'm new to the community. I have no idea what I'm doing. This is both the reason I joined and the reason I'm quite quiet on the forum with the exception of a couple of questions.

The real commodity of this community is the shared knowledge and that is given out freely despite the potential for the recipient of that information to use said knowledge for shaving evil as opposed to shaving good. The concept is the same with pifs.

Never let the intentions of a recipient dissuade you from committing an act of kindness.

Also, I too, am in!

Nice post and welcome to the forum.

I would hope that this thread doesn't keep you from entering any PIF's yourself. People who are new are the ones that benefit most from PIF's. I have no objection to you entering as many as you possibly can provided your intentions are good.

Please feel free to get involved, read posts and ask lots of questions. Please do share any experiences you may have encountered as many people here can offer you lots of great advice. This is a gentlemanly forum so everyone treats each other as they'd wish to be treated. You certainly won't get called out or criticized for asking a dumb question, or one that's been asked before, it's just not tolerated here. We all learn from and help one another.

There are threads here like "what soap did you use today", "what razor did you use today", etc that might be helpful to help you get your post count up a bit while you are learning and feel you don't have a lot of valuable information to share yet.

If you are interested there are also passaround boxes (one is called PIF vs. Passaround) that are very helpful for people just starting out to find some things that they like and some that they don't. You might want to get added to the list right away as it'll be a while before it gets to you. If you read the thread you'll see what it's all about.

Feel free to get more involved whenever you feel comfortable in doing so.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I kept trying to figure out wth PIF even meant before i put my first im in into one. I thought to my best guess it was ( provided in friendship) not a bad guess with the group here at B&B but ive since figured it out. I myself plan on doing my own at some point after i get enough gear to play with myself but then again maybe i could do something simple like order a bunch of blades?
Provided In Friendship.I like that. I don't enter many PIFs, because I am happy with what I already have, but if I see something that would be good to re-PIF to our Active Duty members, I'll go for it. Several of the recipients of my Active Duty have Provided In Friendship a number of things back to me, like Unit Coins, Patches and military and unit Zippos which I don't have. One even offered to build me a small display case for the Coins and Zippos, but I had to turn it down. The generosity of the members here when I was running it full time a few years ago blew me away; dozens of razors, hundreds of blades, a bunch of brushes, lots of soaps/creams. What can I say, this place is just full of awesome folks.

That reminds me that I haven't done an Active Duty PIF in a couple of months; I need to get off my lazy butt and put another one together

On a side note,

It feels good to hold myself among others who insist on integrity. I'm pretty young myself but I see a lot of entitlement going on in my generation that I generally have lost patience and empathy for. I like that B and B reinforces a commit to principles and honesty.

Salute!

My point is that people like that exist. They are called psychopaths and one out of every hundred people have these tendencies. Add the narcissists and other similar people and they can't help but sometimes be our brothers, coworkers, bosses in which we don't have a choice but to coexist with them but if I had a choice I'd rather not.

Unfortunately you are correct, and there are quite a few who have these tendencies and problems. However, some of us psychopaths do realize that we do have a problem and can live an everyday life and make friends. We may not feel the same emotions, or have the deep down concerns that some people do, yet we still know right from wrong and conduct ourselves with some integrity.

Some of those traits can be beneficial to certain aspects of life, other times it can make us seem like monsters, but overall we don't all act like complete asses and can be part of "normal" society. I agree that there are those who can't as well however, but you maybe shouldn't discount us all because we lack something. No one is perfect.

And please don't think this is a flame towards you for your thoughts, but just a friendly little reminder that we aren't all as bad as we get portrayed.

Unfortunately you are correct, and there are quite a few who have these tendencies and problems. However, some of us psychopaths do realize that we do have a problem and can live an everyday life and make friends. We may not feel the same emotions, or have the deep down concerns that some people do, yet we still know right from wrong and conduct ourselves with some integrity.

Some of those traits can be beneficial to certain aspects of life, other times it can make us seem like monsters, but overall we don't all act like complete asses and can be part of "normal" society. I agree that there are those who can't as well however, but you maybe shouldn't discount us all because we lack something. No one is perfect.

And please don't think this is a flame towards you for your thoughts, but just a friendly little reminder that we aren't all as bad as we get portrayed.

No, not at all. You're right I was just generalizing.

I found that the longer I'm here the more stuff I have the less I sign up for PIFs. (And it has nothing to do with never winning anything)

But I will say that I have PIFed a few things and the winner just fell off the face of the earth. As much as I would have like to know how things turned out once it is given it is, well, given.

Also, I too, am in!

It is intimidating seeing all this information and not knowing where to start. Start by going to the Newbie page, introduce yourself, and ask away any question you may have.

What is your current setup?

To be honest, I'm doing very well thanks to this community. My comment about being quiet was more to explain why some people don't seem that active (post count metrics), not that I'm having any issues that aren't being addressed here. Every time I've posted a question, I'm getting excellent responses almost immediately.

But because you asked, current kit is a DB89 (sticking with Dirbys until I improve technique although I do have a sample kit of blades I'll dig through soon enough), Royalshave PB3 and TOBS cream and A/S. I'm very very happy with my setup thus far and the help I've been receiving on the forum!

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I have never paid much heed to this trend. If you are going to offer something for free then you need to except it or you can set some rules in the PIF.
eg of what I have seen are contributor only PIF's or minimum post count to enter. It's is really up to the person doing the PIF.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I have never won a PIF here and pretty much avoid them. I dont want to seem desperate or anything. The fellas here seem to put suprises in with the items I buy off the BST and I love that super coolness.

I saw a little of what you eluded to and didnt want to be one of THOSE guys. But when I noticed unfamiliar guys selling items on the BST, I started looking around. Alot of the guys seem to spend alot of their time in other areas of the forum like the brown leaf or the clown house or mostly in the site feedback area. They arent the soap geek and vintage razor user like me.

In other words, they might just be a neighbor you never knew you had.

Case in point- you have been here a year and a half and this is the first time I have seen you. I spend very little time in the shaving forums, mostly I am Brown Leaf, Mess Hall, Nib, Barbershop, Haberdashery, and am now dipping my toe in the Darkroom.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Case in point- you have been here a year and a half and this is the first time I have seen you. I spend very little time in the shaving forums, mostly I am Brown Leaf, Mess Hall, Nib, Barbershop, Haberdashery, and am now dipping my toe in the Darkroom.
My areas of posting have changed over the few years I have been here. When I first started it was the straight razor area only. It took me a long time to check the rest of the site out. Now I hardly post in the straight razor area.

Top Bottom