What's new

People Who join Just For PIF's And Nothing Else.

I can't help but notice that there are a few people who join B&B who don't contribute anything past an "I'm in!" post in a PIF. I'm not saying that a PIF is a bad thing, I love how generous that a lot of people here can be. I entered and won a Fatip Retro in a PIF and it is an excellent piece of equipment and I'm very thankful for it.

But when I think that something like a great razor or a great brush could go to somebody who just wants to leech off the generosity of good folks who give these things away from the goodness of their hearts I can't help but feel ever so slightly perturbed by it.

If I'm honest it puts me off slightly if I were to do a PIF in future. What do you guys think?

I can't help but notice that there are a few people who join B&B who don't contribute anything past an "I'm in!" post in a PIF. I'm not saying that a PIF is a bad thing, I love how generous that a lot of people here can be. I entered and won a Fatip Retro in a PIF and it is an excellent piece of equipment and I'm very thankful for it.

But when I think that something like a great razor or a great brush could go to somebody who just wants to leech off the generosity of good folks who give these things away from the goodness of their hearts I can't help but feel ever so slightly perturbed by it.

If I'm honest it puts me off slightly if I were to do a PIF in future. What do you guys think?

I agree since in the short time I have been here on B and B I have gained a ton of knowledge, had fun, won a prize on the auction and even came across a 1961 Fatboy in my MIL's closet. If it was not for B and B and me starting to wet shave again it would not have happened, but you will get those types in all areas and simply stated Karma has a funny way of thinning those away

By the way

"I'm in too" :w00t:

I don't think there is a guy out there. Joining just to get free shaving soap or blades. And if there is one or two in here and you let two people stop you from doing something that you want to do who's the winner.

Maybe a better way to do it, is just offer a small something here and there? Like, if you posted a blade review and said something like "But I've never tried Rapira Swedish...", well then if I had some Swedes around, throw up an offer to send a pack or two?

LOL! this response cracked me up.

But to contribute to the thread... I honestly understand where OP is coming from and I agree that it would be nice if everyone had those great big generous hearts. Unfortunately, not everyone is like that and its impossible to control. The only thing you can do is find self satisfaction with your own generosity and hope that there's other willing to do the same. Give people the benefit of the doubt.

I personally have not contributed yet (nor have i received a PIF), but would love to in the future. Im fairly new to wet shaving and I am still discovering myself and my own likes. But when I do, I will be more than happy to pass around some of the things that I enjoy.

I think I'm in! Thanks for the generous PIF!

In all honesty, I'm a big believer in karma. I know it's a shame that PIFs might not always go to those that deserve them, but I think the old King Gillette up in the sky has a plan... I think the other night his plan was for me to bid on everything in the Auction!

I do agree in the sense that if someone is here solely for the purpose of receiving free gear, then shame on them. But...

On PIFs I have given, I couldn't care less who it goes to outside of trusting those that enter could benefit. I am offering something that I no longer use and believe others can put to good use. It's not my position to judge who I believe deserves it over others, hence the random selection. I just hope the receiver takes it in good faith and that's all I can do. Don't let a single bad apple ruin what could be a great experience for someone else.

Last edited:
I really get what the OP is saying. But, there are a few things to consider. Most of us give PIFs out of our extra. New people don't have extras yet. And, they don't feel confident enough yet to offer much of an opinion. Or, maybe they have a cold, cold heart. A year of two with this generous crowd will melt that right down and then they'll be okay.

You need to steel yourself against this eventuality. I have seen a few of the items I've PIF'ed show up on evilBay or in the BST and I have seen members disappear after winning tons of swag in past fundraisers. I have also seen recipients pay it forward with their own acts of kindness and generosity. I prefer to focus on the latter.

Remember, when PIF'ed the item becomes the other person's property to do with as they please.

Love the I'm in posts guys, well played.
$riker-slow-clap.gif

But seriously though, you guys are right. What was i thinking, I could ruin a good experience for somebody else by thinking like that.
I'd never have won the PIF I won and recieved a great razor from Ulricus if he thought anything like that.

Thanks guys :thumbup1:

To the extent that this happens, I agree it is a shame. And human nature being universal, I'm sure it happens here at B&B too. However, many of the new "I'm in" posters may just not have much to say yet at this point in their wet shaving careers. Not everyone is as willing to dispense unearned advice as I am. :tongue_sm

To the extent that this happens, I agree it is a shame. And human nature being universal, I'm sure it happens here at B&B too. However, many of the new "I'm in" posters may just not have much to say yet at this point in their wet shaving careers. Not everyone is as willing to dispense unearned advice as I am. :tongue_sm

now Your not saying you have Una Boca Grande are you. Because if so I have found a brethren soul:lol::w00t::thumbup:

i like the knowledge.
its why i came here.
the free stuff, if i ever got any, is an added bonus.
its to be expected with humans.

I think way more people are here for knowledge, exchange of ideas and camaraderie than for free stuff.

Then again, what do I know?

I'm in!

I have never won a PIF here and pretty much avoid them. I dont want to seem desperate or anything. The fellas here seem to put suprises in with the items I buy off the BST and I love that super coolness.

I saw a little of what you eluded to and didnt want to be one of THOSE guys. But when I noticed unfamiliar guys selling items on the BST, I started looking around. Alot of the guys seem to spend alot of their time in other areas of the forum like the brown leaf or the clown house or mostly in the site feedback area. They arent the soap geek and vintage razor user like me.

In other words, they might just be a neighbor you never knew you had.

I did not even know what a PIF was before I joined and actually just found out today. There will always be people out there to abuse the system but I can't imagine it being too big of deal on a shaving forum. Your average Joe Shmoe doesn't randomly stumble onto a shaving forum just to get free stuff, but maybe I am wrong and they do.

Top Bottom