What's new

Need info on 2 razors please

Hi All

I need info on 2 different straight razors please (rough year of Manufacture, how long the company was in business for and any other info you think I might be interested in). Thank you.

First one is a Wade Wingfield and Rowbotham. On the blade it says" More sharper than your sword".

$IMG_20141022_185137.jpg$IMG_20141022_185148.jpg$IMG_20141022_185224.jpg$IMG_20141022_185234.jpg$IMG_20141022_185237.jpg

Kastor is a German maker if I recall. As for the first, IDK, but you have to like a blade that makes drunken boasts.

W-W & R
were in business as early as 1833
Wade, Wingfield & Rowbotham, (, merchts. & file, table knife & pen knife mfrs.).
Address: Tenter Street, in 1833.
Recorded in: Whites History & Directory of Sheffield - 1833.

And according to Bernard R Levine;
According to Tweedale's Sheffield Knife Book Wingfield & Rowbotham began in the 18th century. It became Wade Wingfield & Rowbotham in 1825, though it sometimes still used the earlier form of the name. Moved to Tenter Street in the late 19th century. The firm was acquired in 1898 by Thomas Turner & Company, which continued to use the old brands on some merchandise, including razors. "Wingfield Rowbotham & Co." "Wingfield & Co." and "Wade Wingfield & Rowbotham" are all shown as registered by Turner in the 1919 trademarks register of the Cutlers Company of Sheffield (the cutlers guild). In 1932, Turner with all of its trademarks was acquired by Viner's Ltd.

Furthermore, Tweedale states that WW&R mainly sold in Britain and Australia. None of its merchandise for these markets would have been marked ENGLAND. The lack of a country marking is no clue as to date of manufacture. Only the presence is.

"All information sources are not created equal."

BRL...

Thanks to Alex at
http://www.strazors.com/index.php?id=321&doc=adolph_kastor_koster_1856_1946_

There you go. Google is your friend.

Top Bottom