What's new

Second attempt at rescaling. Criticism appreciated.

I bought this razor for four bucks with a broken scale. The scales were celuloid and had already started rusting the blade.
I didn't spend too much time removing the rust because I really don't have the tools (I used a dremel to remove the worst of it). I also didn't polish the blade as much as I could have, because I am more interested in shaving with it and no one but me really sees the razors.

The wood is salvaged from barn boards. I saved this particular piece of wood because the edge had an interesting grain pattern. I think it's sycamore, but don't know for sure. I have several boards, but only two of them had this interesting edge grain. It just happened to be a thick enough board to rip a slice off and make scales out of it.

The wood should probably have been put into more experienced hands, but I have more if someone would like to show me what might actually be done with it.

I used brass nails for the pins, and made the washers on my lathe. I did order washers for the next one, but I'm not patient enough to wait for them to arrive.

It does work just fine. I shaved with it tonight.
There are a few problems I notice from this job.
The rivet setting tool I used to back the rivets with was a bit too big. I need to make a smaller one.
The rivets ended up taller than the originals, and it will not fit into the original box anymore (the scales are also a tad thicker) I'm not concerned about using the original box though.
I didn't sand the wood perfectly smooth, I stopped at 400 grit and only raised the grain once, and there is only one coat of varnish on it. I might sand and recoat again when I repin it.
The hinge pin peened over a bit off center. I might redo this when the washers arrive.

Are there any suggestions for the next attempt?

Attachments

• $20141022_130343.jpg
    $20141022_130343.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 175
  • $20141022_130331.jpg
    $20141022_130331.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 175
  • $20141020_131504.jpg
    $20141020_131504.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 175
  • $20141020_131323.jpg
    $20141020_131323.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 175
Nice job

Sanding to 400 grit should be fine for wood

I like smaller flatter washers and pins.

Might be the angle but your pin on the non show side scale looks low? I take the two halves of the scales together and leave them together until the end, it is easier to see that they "match"

What is the wedge made of?

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Looks great! You said the hinge pin peened off center, as long as the pin itself is straight and the blade closes centered, you are good to go. Congratulations.

Looks great! No criticism here. Besides you've already found out and stated what you need to do. That's important! If you didn't see it then a critique may help.
The only thing I'd say is.... Build another. It's great fun ! And those Gencos can be fine shavers.

hehehe,, Couldn't wait for washers so you spun your own. That's cool! D*mn the torpedo's , full steam ahead! I respect that outlook.

Last edited:
Nice job

Sanding to 400 grit should be fine for wood

I like smaller flatter washers and pins.

Might be the angle but your pin on the non show side scale looks low? I take the two halves of the scales together and leave them together until the end, it is easier to see that they "match"

What is the wedge made of?

I made the wedge from black walnut. I had some trouble with it wanting to split. It's actually glued between the scales and then drilled and pinned. Perhaps a denser, tighter grained wood would be better, but I wanted a dark wedge and had the walnut.

I did make the scales with them held together with double sided tape, so they would match. The gluing of the wedge allowed them to shift just a hair, and I tried to smooth that out at the last minute.

Looks great! You said the hinge pin peened off center, as long as the pin itself is straight and the blade closes centered, you are good to go. Congratulations.

Blade closes perfectly. I have a razor with plastic scales that doesn't close correctly. It might be my next victim. I'll wait for washers this time though.

Nice job on the scales...
Something you might want to play with,is to coat the wood with thin CA glue (super glue) after sanding to 400 grit. It will make the wood harder and fills the pores in the wood. May help keep the wood from splitting too. I use to do this when I made knife handles. Try it on some scraps and see if it helps.

I hadn't thought of that, thanks.
I've used the cryano glues for similar things on guitars I repair. You are right, it would make a glass smooth finish.

Top Bottom